Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

According to some stuff on the web, if you could get him a dead flat 5K in a straight line and incentivize him enough (which I think means raw meat, alive and running), a cheetah could break 5 minutes...

Although cheetahs can exceed 60mph in a sprint they cannot run at this speed for more than 20 or 30 seconds without overheating. Assuming you can escape being eaten then even humans might beat a cheetah in a 5k

Pronghorn antelope on the other hand can cruise at 40mph for some while and are interesting because they have managed to get them to do this on a treadmill hooked up to gas monitors. In the wild pronghorns will trot along at 40mph and could polish off a 5k race in about 5 minutes without even trying too hard. In stress tests in the lab they tend to increase the incline to decrease the speed (would you want a 40mph antelope in your lab?)  and in one case they got the antelope to do about 25mph up an 11% slope and recorded a maximum oxygen consumption of 300ml of oxygen per kg per minute. There is no indication this is anywhere close to a Pronghorn maximum - just one they measured. Compare that to the highest values ever recorded in a human (93ml of oxygen per kg per minute in a Scandinavian cross country skier).

Another interesting fact about Pronghorn is that there is nothing remotely fast enough to chase them in the current American fauna. Whatever drove their evolution to higher speed and endurance is long gone.

Just thought somebody might be interested.......

John

Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.

MoBramExam

Pronghorn antelope on the other hand can cruise at 40mph for some while and are interesting because they have managed to get them to do this on a treadmill hooked up to gas monitors. In the wild pronghorns will trot along at 40mph and could polish off a 5k race in about 5 minutes without even trying too hard. In stress tests in the lab they tend to increase the incline to decrease the speed (would you want a 40mph antelope in your lab?)  and in one case they got the antelope to do about 25mph up an 11% slope and recorded a maximum oxygen consumption of 300ml of oxygen per kg per minute. There is no indication this is anywhere close to a Pronghorn maximum - just one they measured. Compare that to the highest values ever recorded in a human (93ml of oxygen per kg per minute in a Scandinavian cross country skier).

Another interesting fact about Pronghorn is that there is nothing remotely fast enough to chase them in the current American fauna. Whatever drove their evolution to higher speed and endurance is long gone.

John

How many miles a week do these pronghorn antelope run, and what is their 1st mile split in that 5 minute 5K?

I think if they run negative splits, they can go for sub 5

How many miles a week do these pronghorn antelope run, and what is their 1st mile split in that 5 minute 5K?

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Although cheetahs can exceed 60mph in a sprint they cannot run at this speed for more than 20 or 30 seconds without overheating. Assuming you can escape being eaten then even humans might beat a cheetah in a 5k

John

But was it wearing headphones and did it prefer the TM to outside?

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

I think they wear MP3 during training only.  In actual races, these antelopes don't wear any headphones to avoid any trouble.  They also use double sided tape for the BIB.  Safety pins may not work very well on their skin.

Some of them also run very high mileage weekly while some run lower miles with lots of speedwork.

And most of them don't taper before their 5k races.

But was it wearing headphones and did it prefer the TM to outside?

MoBramExam

Will be 5K racing at 7:30 Saturday.  Have settled on goals and, as always, like to post for group as incentive not to whimp out and have come back here and admit it to all:

1) Substancial PR - Will be disappointed with anything less than 0:15 - 0:20 improvement.

2) Overall 10th-12th - Can deal with the adults, but how many HS CC kids will make this their last race before season?

3)  AG Place - Batting 1.000 on this one in 2009.  45-49 has become crowded and maybe the most competitive adult (20 and over) division in area.

4) Side Goal - Show the 11-year old who beat me out of 1st overall in April race that it was just a fluke.  Yeah, I know he's 11, but they have to learn early that this is a blood sport...will make him a better man. 

PLAN:  Run good tangents through all the curves through sports complex in first half mile.  Flat course will entice a lot of mid-20 and slower runners to go out at 6:00 - 7:00 and clog up the narrow road.  Pass smart, pass often, and  watch out for contact.  Get into flow, establish race effort and hold it for duration.  Hope that race effort will be fast enough to hit goals.

Will be 5K racing at 7:30 Saturday.  Have settled on goals and, as always, like to post for group as incentive not to whimp out and have come back here and admit it to all:

1) Substancial PR - Will be disappointed with anything less than 0:15 - 0:20 improvement.

2) Overall 10th-12th - Can deal with the adults, but how many HS CC kids will make this their last race before season?

3)  AG Place - Batting 1.000 on this one in 2009.  45-49 has become crowded and maybe the most competitive adult (20 and over) division in area.

4) Side Goal - Show the 11-year old who beat me out of 1st overall in April race that it was just a fluke.  Yeah, I know he's 11, but they have to learn early that this is a blood sport...will make him a better man. 

PLAN:  Run good tangents through all the curves through sports complex in first half mile.  Flat course will entice a lot of mid-20 and slower runners to go out at 6:00 - 7:00 and clog up the narrow road.  Pass smart, pass often, and  watch out for contact.  Get into flow, establish race effort and hold it for duration.  Hope that race effort will be fast enough to hit goals.

You sound like a fun runner to be around. Too bad you aren't in Michigan. We could push each other in races and get a competitive rivalry going. Good luck in your race. Show no mercy! You toyed with that 11 year old and have him set up for a crushing finish line sprint that will leave his jaw dropped and he will go home crying to his mommy.

I am contemplating a 5k on Sunday, August 9th...a flat grass and trail 5k that I ran in 19:50 last year. I am still coughing so I have convinced myself I was sick for my 20:19 effort this past Sunday. That's what the great ones do...they convince themselves they never have bad games....Michael Phelps lost to the German swimmer in Worlds this week but he refused to shake his hand right away because in his mind the other runner cheated with the soon to be banned swimsuit....Bobby Fischer lost some matches at chess in his day but scoffed "I am the better player...I am ranked far higher than the guy who beat me....just a fluke that he beat me really"

I just need to heal up as I am anxious to lay down some speed. With the cough its been all slow this week since the race. 4 miles today and I have my 1st ever 200 mile month!

Prince of Fatness

Good luck this weekend, MoBram.

Flyer, lay down a couple more 200 mile months and sub 20 will be an afterthought.

I'm only 6 weeks away from my marathon.  Wednesday the 5th is the last 5K of the summer series for me.  After that it might be a couple of more months before my next 5K.  I'm not expecting a sub 20, but would like to improve on the 20:31 last month.  I've got to keep things moving in the right direction, as I have ran 21:04, 20:46, and 20:31 the first three races of the series.

Not at it at all. 

I am still coughing so I have convinced myself I was sick for my 20:19 effort this past Sunday. That's what the great ones do...they convince themselves they never have bad games....Michael Phelps lost to the German swimmer in Worlds this week but he refused to shake his hand right away because in his mind the other runner cheated with the soon to be banned swimsuit....Bobby Fischer lost some matches at chess in his day but scoffed "I am the better player...I am ranked far higher than the guy who beat me....just a fluke that he beat me really"

this would sound even better if you can do it in 3rd person.  and find a way to compare the mad skills of MichiganFlyer to the determination of Tiger Woods and the genius of Albert Einstein.  Wink

Current Goals: Run and stuff

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Nice goals.  Kick ass. 

Lay down a few "life sessions", which is code for arm block him at the finish.  Of course you should never trip him.  Maybe he'll cry and never race you again either that or his Dad will beat you?  Wink

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Good luck.  7:30 is pretty early for a 5k.

So the youngsters how a 5k should be run!

Michigan, I think you will run very well in Aug when you are not feeling bad.  Go for it!

As for Phelps, I think that's bad sportsmanship.  The suit is not banned for this championship, so we can't blame anyone for trying get an edge.  He can either wear the same suit and level the playing field, or he can take defeat and beat those guys next time fair and square, when the suit will be banned.  He can complain about it but not shaking hand is just bad.

You sound like a fun runner to be around. Too bad you aren't in Michigan. We could push each other in races and get a competitive rivalry going. Good luck in your race. Show no mercy! You toyed with that 11 year old and have him set up for a crushing finish line sprint that will leave his jaw dropped and he will go home crying to his mommy.

I am contemplating a 5k on Sunday, August 9th...a flat grass and trail 5k that I ran in 19:50 last year. I am still coughing so I have convinced myself I was sick for my 20:19 effort this past Sunday. That's what the great ones do...they convince themselves they never have bad games....Michael Phelps lost to the German swimmer in Worlds this week but he refused to shake his hand right away because in his mind the other runner cheated with the soon to be banned swimsuit....Bobby Fischer lost some matches at chess in his day but scoffed "I am the better player...I am ranked far higher than the guy who beat me....just a fluke that he beat me really"

I just need to heal up as I am anxious to lay down some speed. With the cough its been all slow this week since the race. 4 miles today and I have my 1st ever 200 mile month!

Good luck this weekend MoBramExam, and everyone else who is racing. I will be racing a 5K at 8:00am Saturday. Here are my goals:

1) PR the course, which is 20:15 from 2007.

2) Run it in less than 20 minutes.

Plan is to set my Garmin to report 1K lap pace, run four minute kilometers, and hope to have a kick at the end to sneak inside 20 minutes.

MoBramExam

Thanks all, and good luck, mainrun.  Let's set the tone for MrPHinNJ.

I've got to keep things moving in the right direction, as I have ran 21:04, 20:46, and 20:31 the first three races of the series.

You are definitely on your way.