Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

MoBramExam

MoBram, great race!   Bravo!   That was a great PR.  I loved reading your race report.  I mostly have run 5K's, and was interested in reading a report from "one of the people in front"   I like your ideas about how to run a 5K.   Keep up the good work.    Woods Lady

Thanks, Woods Lady.  "70 years young" and racing 5, 8, & 10Ks 2-3 times a month.  Now THAT is something that is impressive!  Inspiring.  You rock, kiddo.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

What an awesome morning!  Shattered everything.  Shattered PR, shattered goals, and yes, shattered 20:00.  Final time 19:34.  6th Overall, 2nd AG, and the 11-year old DNS...wouldn't have mattered.

Can't begin to tell everyone on this thread and this site how much I have appreciated all your support, advise, and general encouragement.  Thanks guys!!  Now.  Gotta do it a few more times.  This thread is "Goal of Sub-20 5K", not "Goal of one Sub-20 5K". 

Great result!  Congratulations!

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Congrats, MoBram. 

This seems like a great thread.  Like the humor tossed in the reports too.  I'm in your age group with a similar story and only about six months behind you in training.  I started running in January for a New Years weight loss resolution and have managed to stay with it for most of the year. (and dropped 25lbs)

I was actually laughing while reading one of your posts because I had one of those experiences with a kid around 11.  Maybe it is a right of passage in this racing thing to be humbled by either someone significantly younger or older than yourself.

Entered my first road race at the end of March and clocked 21:15.  Next four races were between 20:30 and 20:09.  Managed to go sub-20 last race with a 19:50.

Hopefully I can hang on to your coat tails.  Maybe some encouragement and exchange of ideas will get us talking sub-19 before we're 50.  Smile

Good luck on your next race.  Mine is this Saturday, August 8th.

Maybe it is the heat but I couldn't duplicate my 4 X 1km from 2 weeks ago.

It is 82 degrees and I just ran 4 X 1km with 90 seconds rest in times of:

4:04, 4:00, 4:06 and 4:05 then did 3 X 45 seconds at mile race pace.

The 1st couple felt smooth but I let myself cruise on the last two and was really feeling it at the end of both.

Forecast for Sunday is 90 degrees....do I really want to race a 5k on Sunday morning?

In better news I ran 10 miles at 8:22 pace on Sunday....so the long run times are still doing well.

What an awesome morning!  Shattered everything.  Shattered PR, shattered goals, and yes, shattered 20:00.  Final time 19:34.  6th Overall, 2nd AG, and the 11-year old DNS...wouldn't have mattered.

Can't begin to tell everyone on this thread and this site how much I have appreciated all your support, advise, and general encouragement.  Thanks guys!!  Now.  Gotta do it a few more times.  This thread is "Goal of Sub-20 5K", not "Goal of one Sub-20 5K".

A belated congrats to you MoBram. I haven't been posting much lately and just saw this. What a monster breakthrough and you're no kid either.

Well done!

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

MoBramExam

This seems like a great thread.  

Entered my first road race at the end of March and clocked 21:15.  Next four races were between 20:30 and 20:09.  Managed to go sub-20 last race with a 19:50.

That's a fantastic start!  Think about making your training log public so we can all follow your progress and maybe pick up some training tips.

Flyer - 4x1K @ recent race pace w/ 90 sec rest?  82 degrees?  Don't see nothin' negative about that. Another day, another brick. The work is getting done.

Go Tater, Go Tater, Go Tater!

Prince of Fatness

Go Tater, Go Tater, Go Tater!

Heh .... thanks.  Not expecting sub 20 this evening.  I need 31 seconds and this is a tough course.  I just want to knock some more time off of that PR.  I ran a 5 mile race on a fast flat course in 33:37 a couple of weeks ago, so I know what I can do on the right course.  If I show some improvement this evening I think I'll be in a good position to make a run at a sub 20 this fall.

It's supposed to be humid and in the upper 80's with a chance of strong storms later.  The heat I will deal with, it's the storms that worry me.

Good racing Jim .... congrats.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

It didn't happen for me tonight.  20:47.  There's a brief report in my log entry.  Bottom line is the heat and especially the humidity were factors.  I was soaked with sweat after the race.

No big deal.  You can't control the weather.  You can't PR every race.  I'm really happy with how my training is going and this does not change that.

I'm five weeks out from my marathon and probably won't run another 5K for a couple months, but I still will be following this thread.  Sub 20 is definitely high up on my goal list.

Not at it at all. 

Competed in a city festival 5k today.  Having no races in the area lat week because of the Cleveland Triathalon there was a lot of pent up demand - which resulted in a great turn out with over 300 runners/walkers.  The weather was near perfect.  A relatively flat course was also a benefit.

Still struggling with my pace and going out too fast so I decided to purposely move a little farther back at the start line, the idea was that the congestion would help slow me down some.  I started in about the 10th row.  Normally, the start is relatively quick after everyone lines up, but some problem with the equipment caused a 5-10 minute delay.

At the start the congestion theory seemed to working.  I don't have a Garmin so I have to judge from my distance from the leaders.  I did feel myself going a bit quick at times as I tried to find a running lane.

I came across the 1mile @ 6:10 which was 5 seconds faster than my plan.  Not feeling too bad at that time I tried to work on my breathing and tried to stay relaxed.  I got passed by a couple of runners, but came across the 2mile @ 12:25 still only 5 seconds faster than I planned but glad I was able to keep the second mile consistent.  If I didn't completely screw up the last mile I knew I had a real chance to break 20 again.

With about 3/4 mile to go I felt myself tiring but wasn't getting passed so I had hope that my pace had not fallen off too much.  I had a very poor kick and was more hanging on than kicking.  This is when I think to myself I wish I had more base miles for endurance at the end.

I came across the finish at 19:38.  A personal best by 12 seconds.  Good for 5th in the 46-50 age group (no hardware though, top 3 only Smile )and 31st overall.  Last 1.1 miles @ 6:34 pace.  Top three overall finishers were all under 16:00.

I'm disappointed in my kick, but thrilled with my time and feel 19:30 is a real possibility within the next couple of races.

MoBramExam

I'm disappointed in my kick, but thrilled with my time and feel 19:30 is a real possibility within the next couple of races. 

Ya, think?  The way you're going, there's no doubt!!  The real question may be which one of those sub-16 guys you going to pick off first?  Great job and enjoyed the race report.  Looking forward to your future posts.

Great run!  Congratulations!

Competed in a city festival 5k today.  Having no races in the area lat week because of the Cleveland Triathalon there was a lot of pent up demand - which resulted in a great turn out with over 300 runners/walkers.  The weather was near perfect.  A relatively flat course was also a benefit.

Still struggling with my pace and going out too fast so I decided to purposely move a little farther back at the start line, the idea was that the congestion would help slow me down some.  I started in about the 10th row.  Normally, the start is relatively quick after everyone lines up, but some problem with the equipment caused a 5-10 minute delay.

At the start the congestion theory seemed to working.  I don't have a Garmin so I have to judge from my distance from the leaders.  I did feel myself going a bit quick at times as I tried to find a running lane.

I came across the 1mile @ 6:10 which was 5 seconds faster than my plan.  Not feeling too bad at that time I tried to work on my breathing and tried to stay relaxed.  I got passed by a couple of runners, but came across the 2mile @ 12:25 still only 5 seconds faster than I planned but glad I was able to keep the second mile consistent.  If I didn't completely screw up the last mile I knew I had a real chance to break 20 again.

With about 3/4 mile to go I felt myself tiring but wasn't getting passed so I had hope that my pace had not fallen off too much.  I had a very poor kick and was more hanging on than kicking.  This is when I think to myself I wish I had more base miles for endurance at the end.

I came across the finish at 19:38.  A personal best by 12 seconds.  Good for 5th in the 46-50 age group (no hardware though, top 3 only Smile )and 31st overall.  Last 1.1 miles @ 6:34 pace.  Top three overall finishers were all under 16:00.

Wow, no posts in more than a week?  What is everyone up to?

I've been getting in my miles and waiting for another opportunity to try for sub-20.  My next race will probably be on Sept 12.  There's a certified (or "certificated," as they spell it on their website) 5k in Revere that is supposed to be fast and flat.  Hopefully it won't be too hot and I can make a run at sub-20.

Last week I did a 3x1600m interval workout and felt surprisingly good.  It was cooler and that really helped.  I ran them in 6:34, 6:35, and 6:19. My interval workouts lately have been really painful, so I'm glad that last week's felt OK.

I also signed up for the Baystate Half Marathon on October 18.  A bunch of my friends are running it, and in particular my marathon training partner wants to run sub-1:37 so she can qualify for the NY Marathon.  If I were focusing on the half I would probably shoot for the same goal, but I don't know where my training will be at that point.  I think I'm going to stick with the 5k-focused training until I break 20, and then if I have time I will switch to half marathon training mode. 

I'll make my first try on September 12.  Nothing to report until then.

I don't have any more 5k probably until late Oct!

Wow, no posts in more than a week?  What is everyone up to?

I've been getting in my miles and waiting for another opportunity to try for sub-20.  My next race will probably be on Sept 12.  There's a certified (or "certificated," as they spell it on their website) 5k in Revere that is supposed to be fast and flat.  Hopefully it won't be too hot and I can make a run at sub-20.

Last week I did a 3x1600m interval workout and felt surprisingly good.  It was cooler and that really helped.  I ran them in 6:34, 6:35, and 6:19. My interval workouts lately have been really painful, so I'm glad that last week's felt OK.

I also signed up for the Baystate Half Marathon on October 18.  A bunch of my friends are running it, and in particular my marathon training partner wants to run sub-1:37 so she can qualify for the NY Marathon.  If I were focusing on the half I would probably shoot for the same goal, but I don't know where my training will be at that point.  I think I'm going to stick with the 5k-focused training until I break 20, and then if I have time I will switch to half marathon training mode. 

My next 5K is Saturday 8/22. I have been resting a sore left foot, doing more biking than running.