Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

BadDawg, I have.
    Oh you're THAT Jay. As in "next week you're mine" 19:25.5 PR Jay. As in breathing down my neck Jay. I figgered it out from coolrunning just before you posted. Why haven't you bought me a beer? Clowning around

E.J.
    Greater Lowell Road Runners
    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

havent been up to Lowell for that one yet, but I have done 3 of the Wednesday Night 5Ks held by the Mystic Runner's on Wednesday nights. And you arent going to get much flatter than the course around the lake in Wakefield (and it's much closer for me), but some day I'll try to make it up there - what nights do they have them on?
      And I spent so much time on my deluxe signature and my RA user group and scattering Good Times posts across the site...

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Tomorrow for sure.

Slow-smooth-fast

I did an extremely hard 10k on Sat in a time of 41:29. Fortunatley I have done a sub 20 5k, 18:57 so I am now in pursuit of doing this consistently and going sub 18

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

jeffdonahue

And I spent so much time on my deluxe signature and my RA user group and scattering Good Times posts across the site...
            My bad - so to make you feel better I went and clicked the link and checked out the site. So to win I need to come the week before the "Sandbaggers Special" and walk the race, and then come during SS week and run my hardest???? Seems easy enough.
              So now I have to know, did you show up on your own jaybar or because of my posts? If it's because of my posts, I think I'll forever regret inviting the Terminator to join my age group. Wink
              My bad - so to make you feel better I went and clicked the link and checked out the site. So to win I need to come the week before the "Sandbaggers Special" and walk the race, and then come during SS week and run my hardest???? Seems easy enough.
              You got it Jeff. Tom (evtish) accuses me of sandbagging every week, because I've got 3 sub 20:00 PRs in 4 weeks. That's not the case, but there's no convincing him. Way back on page one of this thread, I posted that the best training for a 5K PR is a weekly 5K series and I still think that's true. MTA: lots of easy miles is actually the most important preparation for a fast 5K, but you DO learn to race a 5K best by running them.

E.J.

Started following the board sometime during that Irish Bar Series. Kind of got the racing bug doing that. It may have been something you wrote about the series during your Hynes race report that convinced me to give it a shot. Although, I ran one race in the series last summer so I knew about it. No worries though, come June, I'll be done with it due to Tuesday night lax games.
                  Started following the board sometime during that Irish Bar Series. Kind of got the racing bug doing that. It may have been something you wrote about the series during your Hynes race report that convinced me to give it a shot. Although, I ran one race in the series last summer so I knew about it. No worries though, come June, I'll be done with it due to Tuesday night lax games.
                  I have to work out some kind of commission deal with Camire... Clowning around

E.J.

evtish

First off, Ed and Jay, it's been a lot of fun at Good Times trying to keep up with you guys. Ed, about the sandbagging, I'll talk to you next week after you crush you're 3:40-3:45 marathon goal time, as I said , Mcmillian predicts you at like a 3:05. I've lost many a beer playing golf against guys like you Clowning around. Jay, I hope you weren't serious about packing it in tonight after not besting your previous time. Keep going til June, only 1 more month till your lax starts up anyway. Who am I going to pace off of? Big grin Anyway, come back next week, join us at the table, I'll buy you a beer, and join the last ones leaving group.
                      Jay, I hope you weren't serious about packing it in tonight after not besting your previous time. Keep going til June, only 1 more month till your lax starts up anyway. Who am I going to pace off of? Big grin Anyway, come back next week, join us at the table, I'll buy you a beer, and join the last ones leaving group.
                      Jay you selfish bastid. If you don't come back, I would owe you a beer with no way to buy it for ya. The guilt will be all-consuming, and I won't be able to sleep. Without sleep, my times will suffer. And your conditioning for lax won't be at the level it should. And I'm guessing it would also result in increased global warming and melting of the Arctic ice cap. See you on Tuesday, there's a Bud Light at Hookslide's with your name on it.

E.J.

(All, sorry about the threadjacking) Tom and Ed, I appreciate that. I now plan to be back next week. Just so you know, during the race on week 2, I remember saying to myself around the 2 mile mark or so, "this friggin hurts, why am i doing this, this is the last time," then I get to the clock and I PR'd by 30 seconds or so. I then said to myself that I will keep doing it as long as I keep improving. Until last night. it was going according to plan. I like to think that I had a bad night last night, much like Mark C a week ago, since he almost won overall this week. I'll give it at least one more shot. Thx.
                          I used to go to the track and run fast 400 meters and found it did no good, you only need to train your speed muscles to learn to go fast, then repeating helps out, but might get you injured more, so now I might do 10 x 300 and start out and make it fun, so 2 x 300 at 30 seconds per 100 meters, then 2 x 300 at 25 seconds per 100, and so on and stretch between sets, and work it down to 2 x 300 @ 45 seconds, then you have built your fast twitches without turning into a track meet. You really won't get injured this way especially at the slower paces like 1:15 for a 300 and are fully warmed up for the final couple. Plus, it makes you kinda feel like Jeremy Warnier except he is going 400 meters in 45 seconds.
                          corrade

Valet Parking

Well, haven't been following this thread for a couple months. Tonight I broke 20 for the first time, 19:56. My training is geared toward hills for trail races and Mt. Washington Road Race in June. I've had to go to school on my uphill running form, found a better short quick efficient gait. I've taken this to the flat fast stuff and my times are dropping like crazy. No speedwork but these weekly 5K's that started in April. Last year's 5k PR on this course was 20:29, and a 20:15 on a faster course.
                              I've taken this to the flat fast stuff and my times are dropping like crazy. No speedwork but these weekly 5K's that started in April. Last year's 5k PR on this course was 20:29, and a 20:15 on a faster course.
                              Congrats on breaking 20:00 corrade, nicely done. OK people, this can only be considered absolute positive scientific evidence now. Wink So head on out to Holyoke to join corrade, or if that would be too far (@ $12.00 per gallon or whatever today's price is...) come join us in beautiful Lowell. EVERY week. Smile

E.J.

Hey Ed, good luck on Sunday!