Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

mikeymike

You can be running SO much faster if you could work up to some 200-mile months and string them together for a while. You'll wonder what the big deal about breaking 20 was. I'm not kidding.
    I could not agree more.

Runners run

Maffetone

Fwiw, when I started training again 3 years ago I ran almost nothing but 5k's the first year. I faded in about 15 consecutive races before it finally stopped happening. This is no exaggeration. I found that it took steady mileage for more than 2 years before things started getting really good although there was definite improvement after a year. It was the same way 20 years ago. It took 2-3 years of solid training after coming back from an extened lull to get in top shape. That's where I think a lot of runners go wrong. They run really low miles for months at a time, then pick it up for a few to get ready for a marathon. After it's over they drop back down. The truth is that it takes steady miles for months and months to really hit your stride, even in short races. Michigan, I remember reading were you said that you had a really big base to draw on. While it's true that you have improved a lot in that regard, you really are just getting started. You can be running SO much faster if you could work up to some 200-mile months and string them together for a while. You'll wonder what the big deal about breaking 20 was. I'm not kidding. It was less than 2 years ago that I ran 20:34, 20:28, 20:07, 20:18 over a string of 4 consecutive races, and I was doing decent training too. Now I'm on verge of breaking into 18's. It takes time. And I thought I was too old to see that kind of improvement. If it can happen for an old man like me, just think what you guys can do!
      I second this. I did two months of close to 250miles. Then I went out and did a 5k and knocked off 2:30, and went sub 19. On the weekend I am begiing my next phase of low hr training as I have been race peaking fo 6 weeks, and that is the end of that, so another few months of high mileage to get me flying even faster.
        Fwiw, when I started training again 3 years ago I ran almost nothing but 5k's the first year. I faded in about 15 consecutive races before it finally stopped happening. This is no exaggeration. I found that it took steady mileage for more than 2 years before things started getting really good although there was definite improvement after a year. It was the same way 20 years ago. It took 2-3 years of solid training after coming back from an extened lull to get in top shape.
        JIM - Please continue to remind us about this....because progress seems so slow sometimes alot of us get starry eyed and try to do too much fast stuff instead of the miles. Here is a log of my miles the past 2 years ALONG with my best 5k record progression. 2006 June 92 July 131 August 146 Sept. 115 - 21:20 October 49 November 100 December 129 2007 Jan. 152 Feb. 143 March 147 April 144 - 21:02 May 136 - 20:22 June 140 July 159 - 20:17 August 139 Sept. 115 October 60 November 103 December 119 2008 Jan. 126 Feb. 142 March 171 April 172 May (174) - 20:03
        JimR

I thought I was too old to see that kind of improvement. If it can happen for an old man like me, just think what you guys can do!
          Same boat here, from an 'in progress' perspective, at 48. This is my second consecutive month over 200. No rush on my part, I've got all summer to play with.
            For folks who increase mileage, do you have problems with increased hunger? If I run between 25 and 35 miles per week, my appetite is not a problem. I easily maintain and, with a little effort, lose weight. However, if I increase just by a few miles, I eat too much and gain weight. I am hungry all the time! Six of the last eight weeks, I have run 40-mile weeks. Unfortunately, I gained weight over that time. I am thinking about cutting back to 25 and 35 miles per week. I think the extra weight slows me down more than I gain from the extra miles.
              For folks who increase mileage, do you have problems with increased hunger? If I run between 25 and 35 miles per week, my appetite is not a problem. I easily maintain and, with a little effort, lose weight. However, if I increase just by a few miles, I eat too much and gain weight. I am hungry all the time! .
              I am 5'10 and 145 pounds....whether I run 50 miles or no miles. My weight stays the same. What a curse. But it is true if I run more miles I eat more food. I just somehow eat as much as I need to maintain my weight. I would worry that a few pounds would hurt my performance at running. But I doubt it will make any difference on whether or not you break 20 minutes in the 5k run. I would think gaining 5 pounds would slow you down by 15 seconds in a 5k race but running 10 more miles a week for a month would speed you up by perhaps 30 seconds in a 5k race. You must have confidence in yourself though to run faster. What kind of times are you running now?
              JimR

For folks who increase mileage, do you have problems with increased hunger? If I run between 25 and 35 miles per week, my appetite is not a problem. I easily maintain and, with a little effort, lose weight. However, if I increase just by a few miles, I eat too much and gain weight. I am hungry all the time!
                I don't really think about it, I just eat when I'm hungry. Hover between 130-135 pounds.
                  I am 5'10 and 145 pounds....whether I run 50 miles or no miles. My weight stays the same. What a curse. But it is true if I run more miles I eat more food. I just somehow eat as much as I need to maintain my weight. I would worry that a few pounds would hurt my performance at running. But I doubt it will make any difference on whether or not you break 20 minutes in the 5k run. I would think gaining 5 pounds would slow you down by 15 seconds in a 5k race but running 10 more miles a week for a month would speed you up by perhaps 30 seconds in a 5k race. You must have confidence in yourself though to run faster. What kind of times are you running now?
                  Last spring/summer I ran these 5K's. I weighed ~165 lbs. 4/21/2007 20:24 5/13/2007 21:19 7/01/2007 20:29 8/04/2007 20:15 Here are the times so far this year. I weigh about 171 lbs: 4/19/2008 21:01 5/04/2008 20:51
                    I don't really think about it, I just eat when I'm hungry. Hover between 130-135 pounds.
                    I found that does not work well for me. If I eat when I am hungry it is too late.
                    RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

For folks who increase mileage, do you have problems with increased hunger? If I run between 25 and 35 miles per week, my appetite is not a problem. I easily maintain and, with a little effort, lose weight. However, if I increase just by a few miles, I eat too much and gain weight. I am hungry all the time! Six of the last eight weeks, I have run 40-mile weeks. Unfortunately, I gained weight over that time. I am thinking about cutting back to 25 and 35 miles per week. I think the extra weight slows me down more than I gain from the extra miles.
                      Drink more water, eat more protein rich foods, have smaller portions more often and have sensible snacks at hand. I personally, like Wasabi Almonds from Trader Joes, yoghurt smoothies and Quaker Instant Oatmeal (Maple & Brown Sugar) as snacks. OK, I'm hungry now...

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Drink more water, eat more protein rich foods, have smaller portions more often and have sensible snacks at hand. I personally, like Wasabi Almonds from Trader Joes, yoghurt smoothies and Quaker Instant Oatmeal (Maple & Brown Sugar) as snacks. OK, I'm hungry now...
                        That describes my eating habits. I just had my afternoon snack. Thankfully, I am not hungry right now.
                        corland

I would like to peak from now to late July as I have three races in that time frame in whiich I think I can best 20.
                          Is one of them this If not, have you run it in the past, is it fast?
                            Is one of them this If not, have you run it in the past, is it fast?
                            I have not run that race.... It does appear to be one of the faster races in the area. I believe that is run on the Lansing River trail which is very flat (paved bike trail). The fastest 5ks that I know of are Ele's Race in Okemos late July. That is flat and I ran it last year in 20:24. I ran Max's Race last year in 20:17... which is in late June this year in East Lansing. I also ran Leg it for Life last year in 20:24...in August in East Lansing. If you go to www.athlinks.com you can find all sorts of data on races and find out what courses runners ran their best times on. It is a great running website.
                            JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

I fell just short finishing in 20:03!!! OUCH!!!!!!! The joy of beating my PR was somewhat drowned in the closeness to beating my GOAL....I tried to stay positive but kept thinking what if ... I know I could have found 4 seconds somewhere in this race....probably not at race end though....I was too far behind going into that last uphill sprint.
                              Man, Mich that is soooo close. Come down to NC and run some sprints with me and I am sure we can get you below that 20:00 mark! Anyway, keep up the good work and I fully expect you to break it in the next race.
                                4 days to my race...temp is forecast for 86 now for my race on Friday. I was watching the Olympic trial I guess thats what it was... and 4 guys bested 13 minutes in the 5k despite temps in the upper 80s. I know the heat can sap your energy but I am hoping the temp is below 80 and since the sun will be low at 7:30 pm it shouldn't be that terrible. I did my last speedwork before my race doing 4 X 1 km on the treadmill in about 4:06 per kilometer. Then 3 X 200 meters in about 43 seconds each. I feel I am can beat 20 minutes now. All the miles I have run this year have finally taken effect. Now I just need a flat course and nice weather.