Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Well, 20 years ago, sub-17 was the big barrier for me, and the only time I broke it in cross country was running even splits. And when I ran the PR the subsequent spring, it was also with even splits. So I'm a big believer. Almost of all of my PR's, from 800m up to 15k at least, came in races where I ran even or negative splits. I also discovered that it felt a lot better to have a little energy for a strong finish, as opposed to having people stream by you late in the race. That being said, everyone's a little different, and sometimes a fast first mile is a gamble that will pay off. Because sometimes, it's an effort barrier you need to be able to break through -- a discovery of how much discomfort you can tolerate but still hold on to the pace.
    Just because your first mile is faster(even much faster) doesn’t mean you are putting more effort in than your other miles. I typically do about 123-124 calories on my Garmin if I am running hard. I have hit 125-126 but only when I run very hard. I only hit 109 calories on my PR mile(4:55 but .9 miles was at a 4:25 average) because it was basically falling down a cliff. Then I did 121 and then 125 calories coming back up. I had plenty left after the first mile. I probably could have taken about 40 seconds off of that time without really feeling warn out(It was that steep). However, the 125 calories coming back up the hill felt like a Herculean effort! So I guess the real way to run is “even effort” not necessarily “even pace”. Have all of your PRs been on relatively flat courses? My current PR was on our flattest course and I ran the most even splits I have ever run on it. However, my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fastest times were on mildy hilly courses that did have a few steep hills in them. My splits were all over the place in every one of those races.
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

So I guess the real way to run is “even effort” not necessarily “even pace”. Have all of your PRs been on relatively flat courses? My current PR was on our flattest course and I ran the most even splits I have ever run on it. However, my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fastest times were on mildy hilly courses that did have a few steep hills in them. My splits were all over the place in every one of those races.
      Most of my PR's were on relatively flat courses or tracks (that's what happens when you live in mid Michigan), so in that case, even effort = even splits. My point is that if there is a huge disparity in your splits with the first one being too fast, you're not racing optimally. A good example was a 5k road race I ran spring of my sophomore year (after track season). I was trying like hell to break 17 (which would need 5:28/mi). I ran the first mile in 5:04, then proceeded to average 5:43 the rest of the way to run 17:07. Had I run that first mile in 5:20~5:25, I have little doubt that I would have run a faster overall time and broken 17.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Well, I still think that courses with steep down hills and up hills make a huge difference. Every race I have ever run with the exception of the Myrtle beach marathon has had some sort of hill on it. Those down hills are usually on the first mile as well. On Saturday I am going to run a 5K with only about 40 feet of total elevation gain(My first flat course ever). That is what I consider “Track Flat”. I am going to go out at my friends pace(Sub 17:00 guy) and just hold it as long as I can. If I have anything left at the end then I will try to sprint my way to a new PR. I tried a 5K on the treadmill this morning to practice running a flat course. I did it in 18:41 with a slight incline on the last mile and I still felt like I had more in me at the end. The treadmill only goes to a 6:00 mile pace so I really didn’t get a good feel for what a flat 5:30- pace is going to feel like. I guess I will find out on Saturday though! Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!
          I have noticed that in high school races where the courses are flat that all area runners will run the 1st mile faster by 15-20 seconds. It is only until you get to the top 4-5 runners of each class where you will see mile splits that are dead nuts. The 3rd mile is often a few seconds faster than the opening 2 miles for the best runners. So it appears the goal is to run even splits but even the very good runners do not have the pacing sense to be able to accomplish this (It is only the elite that seem to do this consistently). So for the vast majority of runners it probably is a good idea to try to get off to a good start on mile one. The reason could be that this brings you into a pack of faster runners and you are able to hold onto their pace. Or the reason could be that your fast split times give you more motivation to keep running hard. By running a slower 1st mile you fall back more positions in the race....and are subsequently pushed back further on the course by every extra runner who is ahead of you whether they are running single file or 2 abreast. It takes time and energy to get around all these runners. I like to run my mile splits as even as I can but going out faster in mile one usually results in better finishing times yet tends to hurt more throughout the race. I am going camping for a few days so won't be posting for awhile but will be training.
          RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

JDF - I bet 5:30 will feel great... for the 1st mile... Smile Personally, I'm shooting for a sub18, probably in the Fall. I ran a 18:15 over the weekend with the first mile a breeze at 5:46... a week of marathon training runs made a 6:00 split for mile 3 a real tough ride... I'm hanging out here because I want to witness MichiganFlyer bust his sub20 cherry...

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Slow-smooth-fast

my current PR for 5k is 18:57, I am now back to MAF training, and am up to over 60mpw, I dont know how this will translate in my next 5k, will have to see. I dont know if I ought to keep continuing adding mileage, is it going to benefit me? I think where I am at the moment is a lot really. How do you guys feel?

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I have noticed that in high school races where the courses are flat that all area runners will run the 1st mile faster by 15-20 seconds. It is only until you get to the top 4-5 runners of each class where you will see mile splits that are dead nuts. The 3rd mile is often a few seconds faster than the opening 2 miles for the best runners. So it appears the goal is to run even splits but even the very good runners do not have the pacing sense to be able to accomplish this (It is only the elite that seem to do this consistently).
                High school runners may be fast, but they aren't smart. Don't base your pacing on them. For me, it wasn't 'til I was a high school senior that I started racing a little smarter and performing better. I didn't improve all that much time-wise from my sophomore year to my senior year, but I ran smarter and more even pacing as a senior, and the result is that I was passing people, finishing strong, and competing instead of fading. Typical college 1500m races will often actually have a slower first lap than an upper level high school mile. Because the college kids have learned to avoid the crash and burn. Your point about the top runners being dead-nuts on reminds of watching the 1986 Michigan X-Country finals as a spectator. This one guy got out well ahead of the pack just before the first mile. I remember thinking, "ooh that guy's gonna die." When I got back over to watch the homestretch, there was that same guy, with an even bigger lead. And the announcer's voice boomed over the loudspeaker, "And here comes defending state champion and last year's national runner-up, Todd Williams." Williams, ended up being the national cross country champion that year and eventually a two-time Olympian in the 10,000m.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

my current PR for 5k is 18:57, I am now back to MAF training, and am up to over 60mpw, I dont know how this will translate in my next 5k, will have to see. I dont know if I ought to keep continuing adding mileage, is it going to benefit me? I think where I am at the moment is a lot really. How do you guys feel?
                  My prior 40 and 35 mpw average months have served me well for my races thus far. Based building at 60mpw seems high to me but I guess it all depends on your goals. I'm currently on week 2 of Pfitz 18/70 for the Chicago marathon on Oct 12th. Getting in 50 to 60 miles a week is doable for me as I'm currently not that busy at work. Averaging over 60 mpw will be tough.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Yea I am still hanging out here just to see Mich finally do it! I have been following his journey since the cool runnings days. In fact, I think we both started trying to break 20:00 at the same time. I only broke 21:00 three times in my whole running career before I broke 20:00. I ran about 50 races before I broke 20:00. Two weeks after I broke 20:00 I got down to 19:17 with both kids in the stroller. Trust me, you can make huge leaps even after you have been stuck in a rut for a long time. Mich, just believe that you have sub 19:00 ability and you will find that sub 20:00 is a piece of cake. Running is mental, if you can get your mind to forget the pain your legs will never hurt again!
                    RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I like to run my mile splits as even as I can but going out faster in mile one usually results in better finishing times yet tends to hurt more throughout the race.
                      I PR'ed with a faster 1st mile on Saturday - the 3rd mile hurt like hell but I was tired before hand so it was to be expected. My prior PR (6 secs slower) had even splits but I was well rested. It still hurt... So, no matter what, it'll hurt. You have to accept the pain and run through it, trusting your abilities. Aiming to race a 5k with minimal discomfort is not racing to your abilities. It's jogging.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I PR'ed with a faster 1st mile on Saturday - the 3rd mile hurt like hell but I was tired before hand so it was to be expected. My prior PR (6 secs slower) had even splits but I was well rested. It still hurt... So, no matter what, it'll hurt. You have to accept the pain and run through it, trusting your abilities. Aiming to race a 5k with minimal discomfort is not racing to your abilities. It's jogging.
                        Ah, but the real trick, the thing you need to do to bury a PR, is to run even splits at the right pace, and try to go negative on the third mile. Plenty of discomfort to be found there. As I said earlier in the thread, a good workout for 5k pacing is 3x1600m with 1:00 recovery. The fastest pace you can sustain through this workout will correspond very closely to your 5k race pace. This is also a good workout to experiment with pacing strategy (i.e. go a little faster on the first, try to go negative on the 3rd, etc.)

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

The real trick for me in that race would have been to rest before hand so I could maintain the pace I had in mile 2. However, I'm pretty sure that if the course had been flat, rather than uphill early in the last mile, I'd have run much faster.

I've been reading this thread for a couple months now, hoping to find some inspiration for my own goals. Back in 2004, I ran a 21:59 5k, which is my PR. I spent a couple of years not really running 5ks, but now I've been trying to break that PR for the last two years. Last summer I ran three 5ks in the 22 minute range, with the fastest time at 22:26. I'm getting closer this year. A month ago I ran 22:21, and last Saturday I ran 22:11. Last Saturday's 5k was pretty disappointing. I ran the first mile in 7:04, and the second mile in 7:00, and the third mile just wasn't there for me. I was hurting, but I thought I was keeping pace. I just didn't realize that I was fading, and by the time I realized, it was too late to make up the time. Now I have to wait a bit before running another 5k, as most of the ones around here in the next few weeks are pretty hilly, and I want to find a fast course. I feel like my training is there, but I didn't have it mentally this past weekend. Last night I did 6x800, with each 800 right around 3:22. Anyway, after the 22:11, I know that I have a sub 22 5k in me. I just wanted to say hi.
                            RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I've been reading this thread for a couple months now, hoping to find some inspiration for my own goals. Back in 2004, I ran a 21:59 5k, which is my PR. I spent a couple of years not really running 5ks, but now I've been trying to break that PR for the last two years. Last summer I ran three 5ks in the 22 minute range, with the fastest time at 22:26. I'm getting closer this year. A month ago I ran 22:21, and last Saturday I ran 22:11. Last Saturday's 5k was pretty disappointing. I ran the first mile in 7:04, and the second mile in 7:00, and the third mile just wasn't there for me. I was hurting, but I thought I was keeping pace. I just didn't realize that I was fading, and by the time I realized, it was too late to make up the time. Now I have to wait a bit before running another 5k, as most of the ones around here in the next few weeks are pretty hilly, and I want to find a fast course. I feel like my training is there, but I didn't have it mentally this past weekend. Last night I did 6x800, with each 800 right around 3:22. Anyway, after the 22:11, I know that I have a sub 22 5k in me. I just wanted to say hi.
                              I wouldn't worry about one disappointing race. I had a crappy 5k in mid-March but ran an 8k PR a couple weeks later, which far exceeded my expectations. What does your training look like? If you're stuck at a plateau, you may need to switch up your training by adding miles and altering your speedwork (not necessarily at the same time). I'm not saying that you should be running 60mpw (you can if you like) but making a change should help. Good luck!

Every now and then I think it would be a good idea to post my training log online, but I'm still a pen and paper guy. I have consistently run 25-35 miles per week all year, running 5 days a week. I've been doing a long run of 10-12 miles about two to three times a month. I go to a track workout every Tuesday night with my running club. Usually my shortest run of the week is a little over 5 miles, except for the short stuff that I do on the track. I think my training this year is better than last year so far because this year I have added the long runs, and I'm also running routes that have more hills. I find the hill training helps my strength and the long runs really help my endurance. One thing that I need to work on is that most of my runs outside of the track workout and the long run are run at about an 8 minute pace. Should I slow it down a bit for another run? Sometimes I feel like I'm not recovering as well as I should.