Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Just because your first mile is faster(even much faster) doesn’t mean you are putting more effort in than your other miles. I typically do about 123-124 calories on my Garmin if I am running hard. I have hit 125-126 but only when I run very hard.
    You can't really use calories to accurately judge effort. You burn roughly the same number of calories running one mile in 5:00 as you do running it in 10:00, or walking for that matter. Cal/mile is constant (other than being a function of your weight). Cal/minute, on the other hand, varies with how fast you are going. The reason is that although you burn calories at a higher rate when you are running fast, you spend more time to complete the same distance when running slower. So it equals out. Example (using my current weight of 190lb). Case 1: equal distance 3.1 miles run at 6:00/mi --> 446 Cal (total time 18:38, burn rate of 23.9 Cal/min) 3.1 miles run at 9:00.mi --> 446 Cal (total time 27:58 burn rate of 16.0 Cal/min) Case 2: Equal time running 20 minutes run at 6:00/mi --> 3.33 miles run --> 479 Cal (burn rate of 23.9 Cal/min) 20 minutes run at 9:00/mi --> 2.22 miles run --> 319 Cal (burn rate of 16.0 Cal/min)

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I heart Jeff!!
      JimR

Holy crap, I actually PR'd in a race this evening, running a 5 miler in 33:15. I haven't PR'd in a race in 3 years. 200+ mile months seem to be paying off!
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Holy crap, I actually PR'd in a race this evening, running a 5 miler in 33:15. I haven't PR'd in a race in 3 years. 200+ mile months seem to be paying off!
          Great job, Jim!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

JimR - nice 5 mile time. PR's are good things.
              Nice run, Jim Yes, those 200+ mile months do make a difference! There's a cumulative affect too. This could be just the beginning of bigger and better things to come.
              Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
              JimR

Nice run, Jim Yes, those 200+ mile months do make a difference! There's a cumulative affect too. This could be just the beginning of bigger and better things to come.
                That would be nice, I'm a year and a half from turning 50 so keeping the trend would be very welcome. Mainly I was glad to have some validation for the training. It would seem a bit of a waste to run that much and still be falling back in times. A PR in this race, my 7th time running it, was waaaay over expectations.
                JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

You can't really use calories to accurately judge effort. You burn roughly the same number of calories running one mile in 5:00 as you do running it in 10:00, or walking for that matter. Cal/mile is constant (other than being a function of your weight). Cal/minute, on the other hand, varies with how fast you are going. The reason is that although you burn calories at a higher rate when you are running fast, you spend more time to complete the same distance when running slower. So it equals out. Example (using my current weight of 190lb). Case 1: equal distance 3.1 miles run at 6:00/mi --> 446 Cal (total time 18:38, burn rate of 23.9 Cal/min) 3.1 miles run at 9:00.mi --> 446 Cal (total time 27:58 burn rate of 16.0 Cal/min) Case 2: Equal time running 20 minutes run at 6:00/mi --> 3.33 miles run --> 479 Cal (burn rate of 23.9 Cal/min) 20 minutes run at 9:00/mi --> 2.22 miles run --> 319 Cal (burn rate of 16.0 Cal/min)
                  Yea I know what you are saying. However, I think my Garmin factors in elevation change. If I run between a 6:00 and a 7:00 per mile pace on flat ground it will always register 122-124 calories. If I run very hard(Below a 6:00 mile) on flat ground or uphill then it will register 125 or even 126 calories. However, if I run downhill it will always register below 120. When I ran that 4:55 mile is registered only 109 calories. I don’t think the Garmin is accurate in telling me how many calories I have actually burned. However, the calorie numbers have consistently corresponded to the amount of effort I am putting in. That is just my experience. Your mileage may vary.
                  jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Yea I know what you are saying. However, I think my Garmin factors in elevation change.
                    I believe it does, too. Obviously, the above analysis assumes all things being equal, and elevation will skew that.

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Hey Jim, do you remember when I suggested(on cool runnings) that you would be in the 38:XX 10K club before you knew it? Your response was pretty skeptical about even getting into the low 39s. Now look what you have done! Great job with that run! I am hoping for a break through race like that this weekend. You gotta love beating a Pr by minutes instead of seconds!
                      JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Masters PR's: 40's - 5k 16:39; 10k 33:48, HM 1:15:27, Marathon 2:43:12 50's - couch potato 60's - 5k 19:02, 10k 38:35, HM 1:26:33, 30k 2:06:26
                        Jim, Were you at a higher age grade in your 40's or now? I have a 41 year old friend that is running in the upper 16's for 5ks but I think he is capable of lower 16's on the right course. Do you know what kind of age grade that would be?
                        JimR

Hey Jim, do you remember when I suggested(on cool runnings) that you would be in the 38:XX 10K club before you knew it? Your response was pretty skeptical about even getting into the low 39s. Now look what you have done! Great job with that run! I am hoping for a break through race like that this weekend. You gotta love beating a Pr by minutes instead of seconds!
                          You talking to me or Jim23415? Cuz my race last night was 5 miles, not 10k.
                          JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

You talking to me or Jim23415? Cuz my race last night was 5 miles, not 10k.
                            I had quoted Jim23415's Pr's in the previous post. He always kind of down played his impressive PR's and he never really thought he could improve on them drastically. Look what he has done lately! Shaving ~1 minute off of your 10K Pr in a single race is impressive. It just goes to show that if you settle on just breaking 20:00 by a second you will always struggle to break that barrier. However, if you set your goals to a much faster time you might be surprised at how a once unimaginable goal was actually not that far out of your grasp.
                              That would be nice, I'm a year and a half from turning 50 so keeping the trend would be very welcome. Mainly I was glad to have some validation for the training. It would seem a bit of a waste to run that much and still be falling back in times. A PR in this race, my 7th time running it, was waaaay over expectations.
                              I think that when you can really expect to see improvment at a late age is during a period of improved training following a few years when training hasn't been so hot. For example, someone who has been tranining at a near optimal level since age 35 is highly unlikely to see much improvent at 50. However, if for example you have been averaging 1200-1500 annual miles through most of your 40's, then gradually build up to 2500 as you approach 50, there is a great chance to see substantial improvement--possibly even racing faster when you were 7-10 years younger. Of course you have to stay healthy and do more than just put in miles. The rest of your training has to be sensible (and I'm sure you realize that). In my case the most signifant improvements have come after more than 2 years of increased training load. By age 60 I was already running over 2000 miles a year but have been running signifantly faster now at 62 as I've continued to build (2700+ last year).
                              Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                                Jim, Were you at a higher age grade in your 40's or now? I have a 41 year old friend that is running in the upper 16's for 5ks but I think he is capable of lower 16's on the right course. Do you know what kind of age grade that would be?
                                Travis, My grades are better now, but it wasn’t until March of this year that I finally beat my all-time best, which was a 10k I ran in 33:48 (86.0%) at age 43, but it only took a 39:22 (86.3%) at 62 to do it. A few weeks ago I ran the 38:35 which is easily my best ever age-graded race. Supposedly it was equivalent to 33:00 at 43. I don't know if I beleive it but I did run more miles these past couple years and get down to a lower racing weight than back then. My last 5k of 19:02 (85.8%) beats my actual best of 16:39 (83.8%) also run at age 43, but the trend of having better times at 10k than I have at the 5 has held since I started running many years ago. "I have a 41 year old friend that is running in the upper 16's for 5ks but I think he is capable of lower 16's on the right course. Do you know what kind of age grade that would be?" A 16:20 would be 84.2%; a 16:10 would be 85.1% Here’s a link to the WAVA calculator, which is the one that I believe most of the major races use and the one I used to calculate mine: http://www.howardgrubb.co.uk/athletics/wmalookup06.html Thank you for all the kind words!