Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

Hey all,

Just set an 8k PR on Saturday with 33:49.   Course had some hills.  Getting into a nice training groove with 20 mile weeks (2 easy runs, 1 long run, 1 speed day - 800's right now).  We'll see if I can maintain through the hot and humid summer.  Next 5k is 8/22

Steve

Keep at it. I cannot do much with 20 mile weeks either so it looks like you have some natural talent there. I probably won't race until July 26th so I am just trying to keep logging miles. Its hard without an upcoming race but I have hit 83 miles the past 2 weeks. I really want to do 50-60 miles for 3 straight weeks leading up to the race so lets see if I have it in me. If I do that a sub 20 is a foregone conclusion.

MoBramExam

Worked hard this week.  43 miles with double-digit Long Run, 6-mile Tempo @ 7:29, and 8x200 @ 0:42-0:45.  Little high AT & 5K pace to total miles (16+%) for my level, but will be cutting back on this next few weeks for races.

sjutton - nice job on the 8K PR.  A PR is always something to beat your chest over.

JimR - Thought you put out some real good stuff for girmann on his thread.

We've had gObLuE back a few weeks now, and survived a close call with M'Flyer, but it looks like PowerOfQ is still down, and now Quint is dinged (but the streak lives).  You guys get healthy!!  It helps with the motivation knowing somewhere you guys are pounding the pavement and sweating in the heat & humidity of summer just like the rest of us.

Think Whirled Peas

Hey guys, I'm here...I'm on the DL at the moment, but I'm planning on starting back up later this week.  It's gonna take a little time for me to get back to where a I want to be...but I'm keeping tabs on everyone!

Q

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

MoBramExam

Hey guys, I'm here...I'm on the DL at the moment, but I'm planning on starting back up later this week.  It's gonna take a little time for me to get back to where a I want to be...but I'm keeping tabs on everyone!

Q

Good to hear from you, buddy.  And thanks for the beat-down your Tigers put on the Brew-Crew yesterday...put my Red Birds back on top in the NL Central.

Good to hear from you, buddy.  And thanks for the beat-down your Tigers put on the Brew-Crew yesterday...put my Red Birds back on top in the NL Central.

I will chime in and say you are welcome .I think Verlander gives the Tigers a great shot at a sweep today. The Cards hit him hard last outing. I ran an easy 90 minutes today. I estimate it was around 9.5 miles. I hated the 10 mile runs last year but I think I like them more than my daily 5 milers now.

JerryBZA

Runs with the pack

Well, I failed to get under 20 minutes again last week at the Anaheim 5K.  In reviewing the event, I see that I’m doing some things well and others not so much.  Also some race-day factors that may have impacted my time.

Pros:

• Putting in a nice base with 30 miles/week
              • Speed work every week.
              • Been dropping weight (25 lbs. over last 12 months)

Negatives:

• Looking at this diet  long term but I mysteriously lost 5 lbs this week.
              • Prior to the start of the race I was already thirsty.  I’d only had coffee and milk with my cereal for breakfast  and they had no water on hand.

Race Recap:

Mile splits were 6:22/6:44/6:30

5K time was 20:36.  Sixth in age group.  (Sub 20 would have placed me third.) 
              Gave it all I had and was anaerobic & sucking air that last mile and a half just to maintain that pace.

Next event I want to be a little more strategic.  (My speedwork coach suggested these changes.)

1.    Arrive 90 min before the event and bring water.

2.    Get the potty and coffee out of the way first

3.    Warm up 60 min before the race either 20-25 min easy jog or just run the race course at 10 min miles. 

4.    Use the potty again and stretch

5.    Get in race position at front of the line

6.    Do some quick strides to stay warm, (active recovery) about 6-8  every few minutes, up until race time

7.    Race easy to mile 1 and pick up the pace for a negative split. Don't try to run sub 20 just try to run a good pace with negative splits, if the sub 20 happens great.

I don’t have a great deal of natural talent either, so to get under 20 minutes at this age (53) I’m also looking at cranking up the mileage.  I’m sure I’ll have a better shot at sub-20 if my mileage is more like 45-55 miles per week.  I’ve got a fall marathon planned anyway, so the miles will be coming.

Next attempt - July 4th.

Hey all,

Thanks for the encouragement.  I'm still not sure that my current volume will get me there, but I've never sustained this for a long period.  We'll see on 8/22 I guess.   It is not the easiest course (and its the worst time of the year to run here), but it will give me a good data point for Fall, where I have a couple of flatter courses to pick from.

Not sure if I have talent from a distance perspective, but I played Ultimate frisbee at pretty competitive level for about 15 years.  I can usually bust out a strong sprint at the end of a race, but it is the sustained speed that really beats me down in the middle of a 5k.  This is why I'm focusing on longer intervals (800m at least) for my speedwork instead of 400's. 

Steve

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

Jerry, 

That's a killer effort for age 53.  NICE!  I think you're right, the marathon training miles will likely help.

Steve

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

Good stuff everyone. I appreciate the time everyone takes to post on this and all the other goal posts. I lurk the others, and post here. It's the only one I think I have a shot.

Yesterday I found out that the 5K I planned for next weekend isn't going to happen. I'll have to find another one, but it probably won't be until July/August.

I want to throw my hat into the ring. I've been lurking on this thread for a while now, and a sub 20 5k has been my goal ever since my first race last April 2008, where I ran 22:57.

Like many here, I have pacing issues. I tend to go out at the goal pace, and end up fading and running below my capabilities. Nevertheless, I have run several 5Ks this year sub 21, with my best being 20:30.

I have 2 5K races coming up, on 6/28 and 7/4. My mileage is where it should be, I'm injury free, and I've had some good interval workouts, so I'm optimistic. Thanks to everyone for their posts here. It helps.

I’m also looking at cranking up the mileage.  I’m sure I’ll have a better shotI’ve got a fall marathon planned anyway, so the miles will be coming.

Next attempt - July 4th.

I have read from other folks here at RA that some of their best 5k times came as a result of marathon training. 

Current Goals: Run and stuff

Run happy

my longest week ever. 45 miles.

with

9 mi long run

5 mi  hilly course

and an hammer intervall 800x6 with 400 recovery

interval paces are 06:20/06:20/06:10/06:20/06:20/06:10

I'll try to go up to 50 miles/week and stay around as long as possible. then we will see...

nyau

Well, I failed to get under 20 minutes again last week at the Anaheim 5K.  In reviewing the event, I see that I’m doing some things well and others not so much.  Also some race-day factors that may have impacted my time.

Pros:

• Putting in a nice base with 30 miles/week
                            • Speed work every week.
                            • Been dropping weight (25 lbs. over last 12 months)

Negatives:

• Looking at this diet  long term but I mysteriously lost 5 lbs this week.
                            • Prior to the start of the race I was already thirsty.  I’d only had coffee and milk with my cereal for breakfast  and they had no water on hand.

Race Recap:

Mile splits were 6:22/6:44/6:30

5K time was 20:36.  Sixth in age group.  (Sub 20 would have placed me third.) 
                            Gave it all I had and was anaerobic & sucking air that last mile and a half just to maintain that pace.

Next event I want to be a little more strategic.  (My speedwork coach suggested these changes.)

3.    Warm up 60 min before the race either 20-25 min easy jog or just run the race course at 10 min miles. 

6.    Do some quick strides to stay warm, (active recovery) about 6-8  every few minutes, up until race time

7.    Race easy to mile 1 and pick up the pace for a negative split. Don't try to run sub 20 just try to run a good pace with negative splits, if the sub 20 happens great.

I don’t have a great deal of natural talent either, so to get under 20 minutes at this age (53) I’m also looking at cranking up the mileage.  I’m sure I’ll have a better shot at sub-20 if my mileage is more like 45-55 miles per week.  I’ve got a fall marathon planned anyway, so the miles will be coming.

Next attempt - July 4th.

Milk the day off a race? I have always read one shouldn't have any dairy on race day.

Also your mile splits don't add up to 20:36...the 3 mile splits add to 19:36...was your 5k possibly long?

About your goals for next race.

I like to arrive about 60 minutes before a race if I already have registered. Everyone is different though and you have to find what works to gain confidence. Getting there too early gets me antsy and I get hot standing around in the sun. Racing easy to mile one is the goal I like best.

Also at age 53 the 5k time of 20:36 is outstanding. Far better than my 20:06 best time this year at age 36. We need to be getting some advice from you so stick around if you can.

Good plan for the next 5k!  I usually do pretty much on your list every 5k too but I usually just arrive 60 to 70 min before the gun starts.

Yes, myself included.  That's how I broke 20 last year.  And also my 8k time in Feb also corresponds to a approx. 19:40's 5k according to the calculators.  In fact, the 1st 5k of my 8k race was just a few sec over 20 min.

A year ago, I thought I had no chance of breaking 20, after failing to break even 21 for almost 3 years.  I increased my vol and cut back on speedwork and suddenly I improved a lot.

For a lot of us here, I think increased vol gradually can help us break 20.  Of course, we have to do it gradually to prevent any injury.

I have read from other folks here at RA that some of their best 5k times came as a result of marathon training.