Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I can only echo what Quint said -- great race, great report, and I too would have been seriously scared by the breathing problems mid-race!

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Wow, MoBram, that was a crazy race report!  Very impressive performance given the breathing problems you had. 

Nice race report MoBram. I have not experienced the breathing problems you described. Good work getting past that.

MoBram, very good run in these very tough conditions (including the bug!).

Didn't post report because (1) it wasn't a 5K and (2) I wrote a book.  I finished in 50:22.  Very happy with time with heat index in the 80s and inexperience at this distance.  I learned more about running, racing, and myself in less than an hour than I've learned in almost a year of running.  Also finished one place higher in AG than last race.  Here is a link to the race report if anyone is interested:

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/bb6c497b284b43409db3c4ace52839f3/workouts/93704f4a224a48dfb7685a5ad300fc9c

Prince of Fatness

Back from my race this evening and can report success.  I knocked another 15 seconds off of my PR and ran 20:31.  Here are my splits:

6:34

6:40

6:38

0:39

This was my third monthly race of the series.  I have one left August.  So far I have gone 21:04, 20:46, and 20:31.  I think part of the success is due to a bunch of 50 mile weeks.  But I also think that familiarity with the course has something to do with it.  Tonight I really couldn't push much at the end.  It was more like I was hanging on.  I'm very pleased with my progress so far.  Sub 20 is no longer a pipe dream.

Not at it at all. 

MrPhinNJ, some of those fifties are creeping into the mid-fifties. Pretty soon, those fifties are gonna be sixties. And, those 15 second PR's don't look like they are going to stop any time soon. Your experiment is working. mta: sp

Current Goals: Run and stuff

portxcrunner

its a good goal... it shouldnt really be to hard to accomplish... in my first year of running i managed to run a 19:17 when i was only serious about the  season for the last two weeks. If your looking to break twenty it shouldnt be to hard i would actually make your goal to break 19 if you are going to be serious and train hard all season. And your mile time... if you bust your ass your should be able to break 5:30, in my first year i didnt think i would even run 5 flat but i ended the season running a mile in 4:49... Good Luck though!

MoBramExam

MrPhinNJ, some of those fifties are kreeping into the mid-fifties. Pretty soon, those fifties are gonna be sixties. And, those 15 second PR's don't look like they are going to stop any time soon. Your experiment is working.

+1

I was real anxious to hear how you did.  Nice chunk off the PR, and improvement in all three spilts.  Great       

job; you're for sure getting fitter and faster.  I think we all sometimes want to get it all at once, but a large         

number of us on here are at least 35 and some in our 40s and 50s.  We're not high schoolers anymore, so we

have to have dedication and patience to let all the work we put in pay off.  Those 50+ you're posting week after

week after week are really something to take pride in.   

I think part of the success is due to a bunch of 50 mile weeks.

A huge part.  I think of the 5K as a short-distance endurance race.  How long can you endure full throttle?  With each success, the answer is longer than last time.  With the consistent mileage you are running, breaking 20 is absolutely not a pipe dream.  Great job Tim, keep doing what you're doing.  

E.J.
                    Greater Lowell Road Runners
                    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Prince of Fatness

Thanks guys.  My focus right now is on marathon training but I must say that I am enjoying participating in this thread.

And this ....

I think we all sometimes want to get it all at once, but a large number of us on here are at least 35 and some in our 40s and 50s. We're not high schoolers anymore, so we have to have dedication and patience to let all the work we put in pay off.

This has been the key to my progress more than anything else.  I set the goal of running the marathon this fall last spring, and started training for it then.  Consistently getting ~40 every week for close to a year before going up into the 50's has really worked for me.  I ran the highest mileage for a week ever last week and feel fine.  Fine enough to PR last night.

Consistent mileage over time.  And patience.  I'm sold.

Not at it at all. 

Very well done! Congratulations! Consistent improvement in every race.  I think the 50 mile week is definitely a big factor.

Back from my race this evening and can report success.  I knocked another 15 seconds off of my PR and ran 20:31.  Here are my splits:

6:34

6:40

6:38

0:39

This was my third monthly race of the series.  I have one left August.  So far I have gone 21:04, 20:46, and 20:31.  I think part of the success is due to a bunch of 50 mile weeks.  But I also think that familiarity with the course has something to do with it.  Tonight I really couldn't push much at the end.  It was more like I was hanging on.  I'm very pleased with my progress so far.  Sub 20 is no longer a pipe dream.

I think of the 5K as a short-distance endurance race.  How long can you endure full throttle?  With each success, the answer is longer than last time. 

BadDawg, that is what I'm learning with each race this summer.  I know it's going to hurt, but each time I find that I can tolerate the pain for slightly longer.  Smile

Consistent mileage over time.  And patience.  I'm sold.

wow, now that is some weekly consistency.  I thought I was fairly consistent.  My weekly graph looks like a seismograph compared to yours. 

MoBramExam

70 days since my last 5K and I'm chompin' at the bit to get at it again tomorrow.  This is usually one of the biggest races in our area (appx 300 runners), and the one that hooked me on running.  Its my one year racing anniversary.

Storms not due until later in the day and it looks like it won't be too bad; about 70 with high humidity.  My goals are:

(1) PR - that BETTER happen, (2) A top 30 finish - lots of area CC kids and some collegiate runners will show and smoke us old folks, and (3) AG award.  Not really concerning myself about how I'm going to run sub-20, just getting mentally prepared to run a fast race and come in ahead of certain people in my AG.  Will be carrying a few extra ounces...packing the kid's Albuterol inhaler in my short's pocket.  After last Sunday, don't want to have to think about "what if that happens again?"

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend.  MrPHinNJ got the gang off to a good start this week.  Want to keep the momentum going.

Just a suggestion here MichiganFlyer:  Before the 26th, better this weekend or next, find the biggest 5K available in central Michigan, dress up in your rattiest running clothes, leave your watch at home, go sign up on race day, soak in the racing atmosphere, and then let it rip.  Have a little fun!!

MoBramExam

Storms not due until later in the day and it looks like it won't be too bad; about 70 with high humidity.  My goals are:

(1) PR - that BETTER happen, (2) A top 30 finish - lots of area CC kids and some collegiate runners will show and smoke us old folks, and (3) AG award.  Not really concerning myself about how I'm going to run sub-20, just getting mentally prepared to run a fast race and come in ahead of certain people in my AG.  

Check, check, and check.