Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

Why is it sideways?

Fact: I can run a sub 20 5k off of 3.1 miles per week.

What conclusion can be drawn from this fact?

I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy (wait, that's me) who needs to run his ass off everyday just to match some of those talented runner who run once a week

I once knew a guy that knew a guy who coached this guy who only ran in races and was a sub 16'er.  I'm pretty sure most college runners are ungrateful knobshines that never work and party too much and they probably never have to eat vegetables.

It's a major bummer that all you knuckleheads got the talent and left me as the only one that has to work.  A major bummer indeed.

you have a good base and good fitness built up over time.  also that a 5k = 3.1 miles.  also that you are fast. 

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

"Fact: I can run a sub 20 5k off of 3.1 miles per week.

What conclusion can be drawn from this fact?"

According to this thread you could run sub 16's if you would run 50mpw.

Seriously though I love doing speedwork because my time just flies by but like someone else said you only can do so much hard work before your body starts to breakdown.  Also, Just like in the discussion of how many Gu's to take during a marathon everyone is different.  You have to trial and error to find out what works best for you. 

Also, over time you change some. I remember when I could only run 4 days a week and swore I would never run more.  Now I run 6 days a week.   Go figure we change over time.

2011 Goals:
            Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
            Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
          RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I do think the more miles you run (up to a point that most of us won't reach any way), the higher chance you will run faster in shorter distances like a 5k.  Many folks here set their 5k/10k PRs while training for the Marathon.

And it looks like sub 20 will be in the near future for you with your Marathon training.  Best of luck.

I think when it gets cooler and is after my marathon that I will shoot for a sub 20 5K.  If I don't get it this year I will get it next year.  Right now I need to get 3:20 for my BQ.  That is the one I really, really want.

2011 Goals:
              Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
              Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)

That you are an ungrateful knobshine.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy (wait, that's me) who needs to run his ass off everyday just to match some of those talented runner who run once a week

Hey thats me too.  One of my friends is a gifted natural runner and just started racing.  He comes close to sub 20 (well like 20:30) with virtually no training and runs line 1 -2 x week for 3 miles.  I guess some people are lucky, but while I look on with jealously it is also hard to be dissapointed that he is wasting his ability by not training to his fullest.  I am sure he could easily be sub 18 if he tried just a little.

It is a bit frustrating to see this when I am still slower @ 35 MPW but I know in the last 10k we raced I improved almost 7 minutes (56's to 39's) since last year where he is probably about the same times.  So hope is I continue on my "learning curve: and get faster in a faster period of time.

Dropped my 5k's from 25ish last year to 22:47, so hopefully get near sub 20 next year but not gowing to focus on it this year.  Maybe after Fall marathon as they have a few winter 5k's in december and I love racing in the cold.  so mid december may lay it on the line for 5k just to see how close to 20:00  I can get.  At least I am fast enough to still see you really fast guys for first half of race before being left in the trails ... right now a bit in limbo as several minutes behind the fast guys , but several mintutes ahead of the semi casual 5ker...Call me a sub 20 want to be.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

MoBramExam

I don't think the more mileage you run the faster you get. 

Maybe not, but you do slow down a lot less.

Prince of Fatness

You're an EP?  That's all I got.

Not at it at all. 

JimR

Your only run that week was a 3.1 mile race.

Your only run that week was a 3.1 mile race.

or a 3.1 mile tempo run. 

either way he did it with no warm up or he did it at just after midnight or is defining the start of a week in some other way.  I suppose it is possible I am overthinking this. 

If you can run 39+ 10k, you should have no problem getting sub 19:30 5k!  Hope to have good news from you soon!

It is a bit frustrating to see this when I am still slower @ 35 MPW but I know in the last 10k we raced I improved almost 7 minutes (56's to 39's) since last year where he is probably about the same times.  So hope is I continue on my "learning curve: and get faster in a faster period of time.

JimR

If you can run 39+ 10k, you should have no problem getting sub 19:30 5k!  Hope to have good news from you soon!

I think he meant 49's (56-7=49)

I think he meant 49's (56-7=49)

yes jim was right ... The 39's were for the 5 mile, which was 45's last year.  A ways off from 39's in a 10K.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

That's not very impressive.

Now, running something like a 16:15 off of higher mileage is much more impressive.

mta:  or, is this some kind of trick question?

Current Goals: Run and stuff