Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

Ran a 5 mile tempo today.

7:03, 7:00, 7:03, 7:00, 6:23.

Total time was 34:32. Okay I am pretty sure these are a little short of a mile maybe about 15 seconds shy.

But this was a loop where the last mile and 1st mile are the same length so I really had a lot left at the end.

I know a tempo if supposed to be run at the same speed throughout but I am in very good shape and its hard to hold back after last weeks 60 miles.

So I probably ran around 7:09 per mile pace and I think I could hold this pace for about 10 miles.

I might do well at the half marathon distance. Maybe once I break 20 again I will start to throw my hat into that longer race ring.

Because there are alot of guys with natural talent who can hold on to run a fast 3 miles but they could never run 13 miles fast unless they put in an awful lot of training.

So I probably ran around 7:09 per mile pace and I think I could hold this pace for about 10 miles. I might do well at the half marathon distance. Maybe once I break 20 again I will start to throw my hat into that longer race ring.

Because there are alot of guys with natural talent who can hold on to run a fast 3 miles but they could never run 13 miles fast unless they put in an awful lot of training.

That's my plan for the fall.  If I get my sub-20 this summer, I'm going to start training for a half in October or November.  I feel like I'm in pretty good half marathon shape right now and wouldn't have to change my training that much.  I would extend my long runs from 12 to 14-15 miles, and I would switch my quality workouts from mostly intervals to mostly longer tempo runs (5-7 miles) at half marathon pace. 

mikeymike

Mich if you actually trained like you meant it for a half marathon, you'd break 20 for 5k by accident.  String together a few 200 mile months and you'll wonder what all the fuss was about over 20 minutes.

Runners run

MoBramExam

Exceeded expectations in my 10-Miler today.  Here's the race report:

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/bb6c497b284b43409db3c4ace52839f3/workouts/683dc17b6776495384757f477fba6e4e

I'm on an all-time high runner's buzz right now.  Have a 5K Tuesday night.  No big plans, just hope I can walk.  This is not a Sub-20 or PR course.  I've ran nearly 20 5Ks now and last year's time on this course is still my slowest ever...even slower than the two on grossly long courses.

My time last year was 22:48.  Goals this year are a sub-21, AG place, and not get "girled".  I did happen to talk to the RD last week.  He's seen me running all over town and knows I'm putting in the miles.  Said he planned on giving me bib #1.  Too cool.

Look out August 1st!!!

Still stalking.  You guys are doing great work.  I think "The Bolt from Holt" is the next to race.  Good Luck, Flyer.

Mobram, nice 10-miler! Things are really coming together for you. That must have felt good to realize that you were blowing your own expectations out of the water and still felt strong during the race. Way to go.

Current Goals: Run and stuff

Very good tempo run!  Good effort!

Ran a 5 mile tempo today.

7:03, 7:00, 7:03, 7:00, 6:23.

Total time was 34:32. Okay I am pretty sure these are a little short of a mile maybe about 15 seconds shy.

But this was a loop where the last mile and 1st mile are the same length so I really had a lot left at the end.

I know a tempo if supposed to be run at the same speed throughout but I am in very good shape and its hard to hold back after last weeks 60 miles.

So I probably ran around 7:09 per mile pace and I think I could hold this pace for about 10 miles.

I might do well at the half marathon distance. Maybe once I break 20 again I will start to throw my hat into that longer race ring.

I think that is a good plan!

That's my plan for the fall.  If I get my sub-20 this summer, I'm going to start training for a half in October or November.  I feel like I'm in pretty good half marathon shape right now and wouldn't have to change my training that much.  I would extend my long runs from 12 to 14-15 miles, and I would switch my quality workouts from mostly intervals to mostly longer tempo runs (5-7 miles) at half marathon pace. 

+10

Mich if you actually trained like you meant it for a half marathon, you'd break 20 for 5k by accident.  String together a few 200 mile months and you'll wonder what all the fuss was about over 20 minutes.

Exceeded expectations in my 10-Miler today.  Here's the race report:

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/bb6c497b284b43409db3c4ace52839f3/workouts/683dc17b6776495384757f477fba6e4e

I'm on an all-time high runner's buzz right now.  Have a 5K Tuesday night.  No big plans, just hope I can walk.  This is not a Sub-20 or PR course.  I've ran nearly 20 5Ks now and last year's time on this course is still my slowest ever...even slower than the two on grossly long courses.

My time last year was 22:48.  Goals this year are a sub-21, AG place, and not get "girled".  I did happen to talk to the RD last week.  He's seen me running all over town and knows I'm putting in the miles.  Said he planned on giving me bib #1.  Too cool.

Look out August 1st!!!

Still stalking.  You guys are doing great work.  I think "The Bolt from Holt" is the next to race.  Good Luck, Flyer.

It sounds like you are gaining racing speed alot faster than you thought you would.

From your race report it sounds like you paced 10 miles in 7:17 finishing feeling elated and could have gone faster! That sounded really good.

"The Bolt from Holt" I like that. I am aiming for sub 20 one week from today.

Last year I ran this course in 6:24, 6:37 and 6:27 with a 35 seconds last tenth to finish in 20:03.

But last year I only ran 25-30 miles in the weeks leading up to this race since I had already broken 20 at this time last year and was not hungry. This year I put in 149 miles the last 3 weeks. This weeks I bought a new pair of training shoes to keep me excited about training.

Another 11 miles today...my long run was 8.2 miles at 8:30 pace.

After July 26 I am eyeing an August 9th 5k which is also quite fast.

I had 2 goals this month - a 60 mile week (did that) and a 200 mile month....(will need 60 miles in the last 12 days very possible)...if that is done I think a sub 20 is a given.

Prince of Fatness

MoBram, nice job on the 10 miler.  Nice even splits.

Not at it at all. 

Wow, MoBram, that's a serious pace for 10 miles!  Congrats on the great race.
                          Nice job MoBran - congrats.  Four laps around a 2.5 mile loop is a unique way to build a 10 mile race.

I am trying to log those of us who have a shot at breaking 20 since I intend to graduate from that class for the 2nd straight year. If you want to add your name or update your time go ahead. This is for those who have posted on this thread un July 2009.

2009 record 5k time (not necessarily career best time)

MichiganFlyer 20:06

Bearcat Runner 20:15

Jerry BZA 20:18

Affy 20:25

LTrain 20:25

Mr PH 20:31

MoBramExam 20:36

Mainrunner had a 20:04 in 2005 but I cannot find any recent race times for you.

JimR ran a 20:03 in 2005.

Gcklo ran a 19:51 pr recently.

I don't know if noyau has broken 20 but he ran a 6k in 22 and change so to me he has graduated,

JimR

JimR ran a 20:03 in 2005.

20:11 on the same course last fall so I'm not that far off.

For those of us within 20 seconds of a sub 20 I think pacing correctly is what is holding us above the 20 mark.

For me I know if I come through the mile mark in 6:30 its going to be awfully tough to break 20 because I lose concentration on the 2nd mile. My last race I went through a half mile in 3:02 and even though I didn't feel that bad I bonked to 6:50 per mile pace the rest of the way.

For those of us without GPS real time data we only get a couple splits every race. And that makes it awful tough to adjust to sub 20. I know many have said to run by effort and stop trying to hit a time goal. I am going to use this advise for my next race but also am bearing n mind where I need to take it easy and where I need to push to maintain the pace.

I am planning on going out comfortably hard for the 1st two minutes of Sundays race. I cannot afford to lose any seconds as I am dead serious about breaking 20. But I found out a 3:02 opening half mile is a death trap. When I hit 2 minutes I am going to push the pace just a hair. I am talking maybe one second faster per every quarter mile than my race start speed and stay at that pace for as long as I can.

If I do this right I hope to hit a mile feeling a little tired but still knowing that I have a good bit in the tank. I would love to be in the lower 6:20s. Last year I earned a 6:25 on this course. Anything in the 6:20s will be good enough and I don't see any reason why I cannot get that done.

At the mile mark I am going to push the pace.

Mile 2 is key. I will divide it into 2 sections....about half mile each.

From a mile to the 10 minuite mark....and from 10 minutes to the 2 mile mark (which has to be 13 or under to give me a sub 20)...so all focus on trying to keep the even splits. A touch uncomfortable but knowing that without sub 13 I don't have a chance. I will have to have intense focus to run even fast splits but not too fast.

When I get to 2 miles in just under sub 13 now it will hurt. Again I will have to divide into segments. Perhaps 2 minutes at a time. Once I  get to 18 minutes I can handle the last 115 seconds or so.