Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

Not to reopen the can of worm about by GPS vs. by Feel.  For my last 2 5k's, I did feel unusually easy in the 1st 1/2 mile whenI was running too fast.  Had I not known about that, I would have definitely faded a lot more (I did faded a bit in the last mile for both of the races).  So, pacing is definitely very important for a 5k.

I think getting to the 2 mile mark about 12:40-12:50 would be pretty good.  If you are above 13 by mile 2, the chance to break 20 is much smaller.

For those of us within 20 seconds of a sub 20 I think pacing correctly is what is holding us above the 20 mark.

For me I know if I come through the mile mark in 6:30 its going to be awfully tough to break 20 because I lose concentration on the 2nd mile. My last race I went through a half mile in 3:02 and even though I didn't feel that bad I bonked to 6:50 per mile pace the rest of the way.

For those of us without GPS real time data we only get a couple splits every race. And that makes it awful tough to adjust to sub 20. I know many have said to run by effort and stop trying to hit a time goal. I am going to use this advise for my next race but also am bearing n mind where I need to take it easy and where I need to push to maintain the pace.

I am planning on going out comfortably hard for the 1st two minutes of Sundays race. I cannot afford to lose any seconds as I am dead serious about breaking 20. But I found out a 3:02 opening half mile is a death trap. When I hit 2 minutes I am going to push the pace just a hair. I am talking maybe one second faster per every quarter mile than my race start speed and stay at that pace for as long as I can.

If I do this right I hope to hit a mile feeling a little tired but still knowing that I have a good bit in the tank. I would love to be in the lower 6:20s. Last year I earned a 6:25 on this course. Anything in the 6:20s will be good enough and I don't see any reason why I cannot get that done.

At the mile mark I am going to push the pace.

Mile 2 is key. I will divide it into 2 sections....about half mile each.

From a mile to the 10 minuite mark....and from 10 minutes to the 2 mile mark (which has to be 13 or under to give me a sub 20)...so all focus on trying to keep the even splits. A touch uncomfortable but knowing that without sub 13 I don't have a chance. I will have to have intense focus to run even fast splits but not too fast.

When I get to 2 miles in just under sub 13 now it will hurt. Again I will have to divide into segments. Perhaps 2 minutes at a time. Once I  get to 18 minutes I can handle the last 115 seconds or so.

I think getting to the 2 mile mark about 12:40-12:50 would be pretty good.  If you are above 13 by mile 2, the chance to break 20 is much smaller.

To me sub 20 pace is 6:27 per mile as that gets me through 3 miles in 19:21 leaving 38 seconds which is more than enough time for the last tenth. I could even take 6:28 per mile pace since that leaves 35 seconds for the last tenth but that is really pushing the envelope.

Thus if I am through 2 miles in 12:56 I am right on pace.

You are suggesting 10 seconds ahead of pace through 2 miles which would really hurt a lot more at least for me.

But I think I am in shape to run 19:40 so 12:40s is not out of the possibilities for Sunday.

My last 5k when I ran 3:02 opening half mile I was pushing the pace but I thought I was around 3:11 or so...never would have dreamed a 3:02 was that easy. The adrenaline carries me for sure for the 1st 1/4 to 1/2 mile. That is why I must take it a little easy. My problem is that when I start easy it is hard to ramp it up after the 1st couple minutes. I tend to settle into that 6:32 per mile pace.

I think you have better raw speed than I do now, so you can still get sub 20 when you hit mile 3 at 19:21.  I used to be able to run the last 0.1 in 37/38 sec at the end of a 5k.  I no longer able to do that.  Either I have lost my raw speed as I aged or I am running a much better and even pace now.

I am also running a 5k this Sun too!  I have confidence on you getting it done!

To me sub 20 pace is 6:27 per mile as that gets me through 3 miles in 19:21 leaving 38 seconds which is more than enough time for the last tenth. I could even take 6:28 per mile pace since that leaves 35 seconds for the last tenth but that is really pushing the envelope.

Thus if I am through 2 miles in 12:56 I am right on pace.

You are suggesting 10 seconds ahead of pace through 2 miles which would really hurt a lot more at least for me.

But I think I am in shape to run 19:40 so 12:40s is not out of the possibilities for Sunday.

My last 5k when I ran 3:02 opening half mile I was pushing the pace but I thought I was around 3:11 or so...never would have dreamed a 3:02 was that easy. The adrenaline carries me for sure for the 1st 1/4 to 1/2 mile. That is why I must take it a little easy. My problem is that when I start easy it is hard to ramp it up after the 1st couple minutes. I tend to settle into that 6:32 per mile pace.

MoBramExam

For those of us without GPS real time data we only get a couple splits every race. And that makes it awful tough to adjust to sub 20. I know many have said to run by effort and stop trying to hit a time goal. I am going to use this advise for my next race but also am bearing n mind where I need to take it easy and where I need to push to maintain the pace.

BASED ON THE COURSE, OR PLOTS ON THE MAP?

But I found out a 3:02 opening half mile is a death trap. 

YOU'RE RUNNING ON FEEL, HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS?  MAYBE YOU'RE BETTER.

Anything in the 6:20s will be good enough and I don't see any reason why I cannot get that done.

UNLESS ON THAT DAY ON THAT COURSE YOU'RE CAPABLE OF RUNNING 6:19.

At the mile mark I am going to push the pace.

Mile 2 is key. I will divide it into 2 sections....about half mile each.

From a mile to the 10 minuite mark....and from 10 minutes to the 2 mile mark (which has to be 13 or under to give me a sub 20)...so all focus on trying to keep the even splits. A touch uncomfortable but knowing that without sub 13 I don't have a chance. I will have to have intense focus to run even fast splits but not too fast.

When I get to 2 miles in just under sub 13 now it will hurt. Again I will have to divide into segments. Perhaps 2 minutes at a time. Once I  get to 18 minutes I can handle the last 115 seconds or so.

POINTS ON A MAP.  MINUTES, SECONDS.  YOU DON'T NEED A GARMIN, YOU'RE A WALKING TALKING GPS.  HAVE YOU NOT TRAINED YOUR ASS OFF TO BE IN SHAPE TO RUN THIS FAST?  DON'T YOU TRUST YOUR TRAINING?  SHOW UP CONFIDENT, FOCUS ON RUNNING YOUR RACE ON THE EDGE, AND EXECUTE.  VISUALIZATION IS A USEFUL TOOL, BUT VISUALIZE THE EFFORT, NOT THE GEOGRAPHY AND THE CLOCK.

WE ALL KNOW YOU'VE DONE THIS BEFORE AND WILL DO IT AGAIN.  YOU GOT SIX DAYS TO LOCK IN.  WE BELIEVE IN YOU, BROTHER!  TRUST YOURSELF.

MoBramExam!!!
            You just fired me up!!!!!!!!

Get out of the way The BOLT from HOLT is coming through!!!

I will have to make a t-shirt with those WORDS emblazoned across the front!!

You need to be my coach...get in my face on raceday and slap some sense into me.

That reminds me of a video that will fire me up some more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7A_QUlMbvY

Mainrunner had a 20:04 in 2005 but I cannot find any recent race times for you.

I ran 20:21 on that course this year.

My next two races are on PR type courses. The first one is August 1. The next one is August 22.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Michigan, may want to try running the race without a watch.  Seriously.  I mean, we did this in cross-country all the time.  Up until the advent of the GPS watch, we couldn't do any better than mile splits.  In high school, we had someone calling out mile splits, and couldn't (by rule) wear watches. 

Something to consider.  You've run enough races to do this.  Just race.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Michigan, may want to try running the race without a watch.  Seriously.  I mean, we did this in cross-country all the time.  Up until the advent of the GPS watch, we couldn't do any better than mile splits.  In high school, we had someone calling out mile splits, and couldn't (by rule) wear watches. 

Something to consider.  You've run enough races to do this.  Just race.

I am the biggest clockwatcher in the world.

And I do tend to peek at the watch an awful lot especially near the end of a race.

The only real problem I have when not wearing a watch is I keep repeating the mile splits in my head

which is annoying. With a watch I hit the split button and don't have to worry about it till the end of the race.

The watch is my crutch when I see 18 minutes I know I only have a couple minutes more of pain.

It would be hard to run without it but I can probably learn to stop looking at it.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I am the biggest clockwatcher in the world. 

Which is exactly why you should run a race without one. Do it on a course you know, then you know when you're closing in on the finish.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

MoBramExam

No real purpose of post, just typing to supress adrenaline before 5K tonight.

Wish I had an extra day of recovery from Sunday's 10-Miler.  Head is into it, cardio is clicking on all cylinders, body will be fueled, hydrated, and primed, but will legs be able to go the distance?  Got an e-mail from premier local masters runner Hammer last night...complimenting me on my splits Sunday and telling me how sore he was.  Comforting to know the elite hurt just as bad as us normal people.  He ran a 1:03:45.

Posted goals earlier.  (1) AG placing - that's obivious, but see comments on #3, (2) Sub-21 - sounds slow, but out of nearly 150 runners last year, only two adults over 20 yrs old broke 21:00, (3) Don't get "girled" - was passed by girl last year in last 1/2 mile like I was walking, then got beat out at the finish line by guy who finished 2nd to my 3rd AG...double punch in the gut that day...was a wussy, then couldn't finish.

Something I've noticed around here:  The really tough courses like this one only slow the "real" runners down.  They seem to lose only about 10-15 seconds off their normal hilly course times.  Most others take a real beat-down and are off 0:45 to over 1:00.  Will get to find out which group I'm in tonight.  Can't wait!!!!  Suppose to start raining in middle of afternoon with 70% chance of storms at race time.  Temps should be in low 70s.

Sorry to bore, but I know I've got a lot benefit from reading what is going through the minds of others before, during, and after races.

Show no mercy MoBram.

Pass the weak, hurdle the dead.

I think 21 minutes is a good goal for you.

See how you feel in the 1st half mile and go from there.

Why did you decide to race 2 in a three day period?

MoBramExam

Why did you decide to race 2 in a three day period?

Wasn't the original plan.  I'd pre-registered for both races, then they changed the date of the 10-Miler and moved it back.  Now I'm having to pretend this is a HM with a long, long water break .

Good lock to MoBram... I am not expecting much after that blazing 10 mile run Sunday. (Hope you are gone and don't read this before the race )

Tonight I did my last speedwork before my sub 20 race.

4 by 1 kilometer repeat with 90 seconds rest on the roads...I have a few choice hills in this workout.

It was pretty tough.

Splits 3:58, 3:58, 3:56 and 3:57.

Then I did 3 X 200 meters with 90 seconds rest.

I probably ran these a touch fast but I have 4 and a half days till race time so plenty of time to recover.

The 3rd one was very smooth but by the 4th one I was thinking this pace would really hurt in a race.

Hopefully the adrenaline and easy course carry me well below sub 20.

Preliminary race day forecast looks to be temps in mid 60s with winds around 10 mph.

I cannot beat that. Most miles of training ever and am starting to put together fast workouts just in time for a fast course. Weather looks like it will cooperate...what more can I ask?

Great workout.  That's definitely very solid.

You are going to take it easy the next several days, right?  Last time before I ran my 5k, I did the intervals on Tue and didn't give myself any time to recover, my legs were still sore on Sat.  If your race is on Sun, I guess you have an extra day so that should be better.

Good lock to MoBram... I am not expecting much after that blazing 10 mile run Sunday. (Hope you are gone and don't read this before the race )

Tonight I did my last speedwork before my sub 20 race.

4 by 1 kilometer repeat with 90 seconds rest on the roads...I have a few choice hills in this workout.

It was pretty tough.

Splits 3:58, 3:58, 3:56 and 3:57.

Then I did 3 X 200 meters with 90 seconds rest.

I probably ran these a touch fast but I have 4 and a half days till race time so plenty of time to recover.

The 3rd one was very smooth but by the 4th one I was thinking this pace would really hurt in a race.

Hopefully the adrenaline and easy course carry me well below sub 20.

Preliminary race day forecast looks to be temps in mid 60s with winds around 10 mph.

I cannot beat that. Most miles of training ever and am starting to put together fast workouts just in time for a fast course. Weather looks like it will cooperate...what more can I ask?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Pass the weak, hurdle the dead.

Nice slogan Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.