Goal of sub 20 5k (Read 13664 times)

I went ahead and signed up for mikeymike's race in Reading on Thursday.  I will probably shoot for sub 20.  Hopefully it won't rain or be too hot. 

Great workout.  That's definitely very solid.

You are going to take it easy the next several days, right?  Last time before I ran my 5k, I did the intervals on Tue and didn't give myself any time to recover, my legs were still sore on Sat.  If your race is on Sun, I guess you have an extra day so that should be better.

I contemplated doing this interval workout tomorrow (4 days from race day) but I was afraid it was going to rain tomorrow night so I ran it tonight. Its a tough workout but ran 5 X 1km last week so this was less than normal. The rest of the week I plan on doing about 4-5 miles easy per day...probably one day (Thursday or Friday) I will run a very easy 2-3 miles if that.

I did the same  interval workout last year  5 days before my PR of 19:35 so I am not worried about dead legs. After tapering from 60 miles a couple weeks ago to 45 last week I feel very rested actually.

(3) Don't get "girled" - was passed by girl last year in last 1/2 mile like I was walking, then got beat out at the finish line by guy who finished 2nd to my 3rd AG...double punch in the gut that day...was a wussy, then couldn't finish. 

Sorry to our lady posters .. but I love it.  

In my Sunday 5 miler I was settling last mile ... holding serve on goal race pace until I got "girled" with about 1/8 mile left.  Enough was enough .... turned it on and re- passed her back up nearly immeadiatly and with the surge past two other guys ... So thanks to that girl for having the balls to try and pass me or I would have wussed out and finished 2 places lower and a few seconds slower.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

MoBramExam

I'm back and about to come back to life.  Not a downpour, but a hard steady rain.  Hoping I'm not sick.  Still a little numb, also hoping I'm not injured.

Anyways, ran 20:40 tonight.  Splits 6:40 / 6:43 / 6:40 / 0.37.  14th overall out of 125.  3rd AG out of 11.  Did not get "girled".  Few seconds off a PR, but maybe my best race ever.  Emptied the tank.  Here's the full race report:

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/bb6c497b284b43409db3c4ace52839f3/workouts/3f86b0f5e6c6424292fc1534272efe1f

I finished this race last year on the same course with a 22:48, so this is a 2:08 improvement.  Like last year, I came back about 10 days later and ran the Rodeo Run.  That will be my next race again this year on 8/1/09.  My time for that race was 21:53.  So, if I'm two minutes better now???!!!???

I got girled the first time I went under 21.  I had passed this girl on a bridge roughly 3/4 mile from the finish, and with the finish in sight she came out of nowhere and sprinted past me.  I didn't have much left, but I kicked as hard as I could to try to catch her.  I didn't make it, but I did run 20:59 for the first time, and I'm pretty sure I would have been at 21:00 if not for her passing me at the end.  Right after she crossed the finish line, she doubled over and I nearly ran her over. 

I'm back and about to come back to life.  Not a downpour, but a hard steady rain.  Hoping I'm not sick.  Still a little numb, also hoping I'm not injured.

Anyways, ran 20:40 tonight.  Splits 6:40 / 6:43 / 6:40 / 0.37.  14th overall out of 125.  3rd AG out of 11.  Did not get "girled".  Few seconds off a PR, but maybe my best race ever.  Emptied the tank.  Here's the full race report:

I finished this race last year on the same course with a 22:48, so this is a 2:08 improvement.  Like last year, I came back about 10 days later and ran the Rodeo Run.  That will be my next race again this year on 8/1/09.  My time for that race was 21:53.  So, if I'm two minutes better now???!!!???

Great run in tough conditions!

Now don't get carried away with sub 20 all in one race. Your main goal should be a PR at the Rodeo Run. Just for reference my PR was lowered in the following steps:

May 2007........ 20:22

June 2007......20:17

May 2008.......20:03

June 2008.....19:36

SO if you don't break 20 at the next race take solace in the times dropping.

Once I hit 20:03 I was sure I had it in me to break 20...confidence is one of the keys.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Anyways, ran 20:40 tonight.  Splits 6:40 / 6:43 / 6:40 / 0.37.  14th overall out of 125.  3rd AG out of 11.  Did not get "girled".  Few seconds off a PR, but maybe my best race ever.  Emptied the tank. 

Congrats on a great run with nice looking splits!  Also, good job on not getting chicked...

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Great run in tough conditions!

Now don't get carried away with sub 20 all in one race. Your main goal should be a PR at the Rodeo Run. Just for reference my PR was lowered in the following steps:

May 2007........ 20:22

June 2007......20:17

May 2008.......20:03

June 2008.....19:36

SO if you don't break 20 at the next race take solace in the times dropping.

Once I hit 20:03 I was sure I had it in me to break 20...confidence is one of the keys.

Are you sure that 19:36 wasn't on a short course as it's a pretty big jump from May to June... I'd have expected 19:50s...  Wink 

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Prince of Fatness

Nice job MoBram.  You are on the doorstep.  I'm curious as to what this will translate to on an easier course.

Not at it at all. 

Are you sure that 19:36 wasn't on a short course as it's a pretty big jump from May to June... I'd have expected 19:50s...  Wink 

I see your point. If I can take 27 seconds off my PR then anyone can.  I wondered if the course was short as well last year so I had to run another sub 20 about 6 weeks later to prove to myself this was no fluke.

If anything that 19:36 gives me the confidence to know that I should not only try for sub 20 on Sunday but to smash through the barrier once again well into the 19's.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I see your point. If I can take 27 seconds off my PR then anyone can.  I wondered if the course was short as well last year so I had to run another sub 20 about 6 weeks later to prove to myself this was no fluke.

If anything that 19:36 gives me the confidence to know that I should not only try for sub 20 on Sunday but to smash through the barrier once again well into the 19's.

Well, your log says you ran that 2nd 5k in 19:50.  Anyway, sub 20 is sub 20.  I'm pretty sure that you'll be under 20 again on Sunday given your mileage since March.  Hopefully the weather and course is kind to you.

Was the course certified?

Was the course certified?

I don't really know. It seems short with the time but all I cared about was the 19:XX in the newspaper next to my name. It was a race put on by Playmakers (local running store) and they are pretty good on measuring courses. I did beat a guy by 15 seconds who had run a 5k in 19:35 about a week before this race.

If anything I would think the next course I have on Sunday is short, though its also a Playmakers race. I have run it the last 2 years in 20:24 and 20:03 and most people set records on this course every year. Yet I had people complaining the last Playmakers course was long (which I ran in 20:46 about 6 weeks ago).

I don't think we have many certified courses around the Lansing area to be honest.

Right on Hereford...

RunAsics, I know you're just doing some friendly kidding there, but I know you've had some pretty big jumps in your running career as well, haven't you? And 27 seconds in a 5k at that level isn't so unusual.

Just looked back at my race log from 2007, when I broke 20 for the first time. I went from 21:08 to 19:30 in 35 days.

4/10/07 - 21:08

5/1/07 - 20:11

5/8/07 - 19:47 (first sub-20)

5/15/07 - 19:30

MTA: I was doing a LOT of hard workouts during that period...

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I don't really know. It seems short with the time but all I cared about was the 19:XX in the newspaper next to my name. It was a race put on by Playmakers (local running store) and they are pretty good on measuring courses. I did beat a guy by 15 seconds who had run a 5k in 19:35 about a week before this race.

If anything I would think the next course I have on Sunday is short, though its also a Playmakers race. I have run it the last 2 years in 20:24 and 20:03 and most people set records on this course every year. Yet I had people complaining the last Playmakers course was long (which I ran in 20:46 about 6 weeks ago).

I don't think we have many certified courses around the Lansing area to be honest.

Playmakers does a great job setting up their races.  I'd trust their course, certified or not, unless there was significant evidence to conclude otherwise.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.