Need HM advice. (Read 464 times)

Giant Flaming Dork

Up until the end of April, I was on a steady ramp to prepare for HM on 6/22. I've been travelling over the last month and now I'm not sure of my fitness level or what I should do for training for the next month (or even if I should run it.) Take a look at the log for training I've done recently. I'm finally back home, so can refocus on my training plan, but I've had to modify it slightly ro accomodate the reduced miles that I've put in over the last month. Scheduled training for the next month: Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun x x x x 5 10 bike 2 5 4 5 0 12 bike 2 6 4 6 0 14 bike 4 5 6 5 0 8 bike 4 3 7 2 0 Race (all runs at easy or long pace, the bicycle cross training is for 1 hour in duration) Any comments? Am I risking injury doing the 10, 12, and 14 mi long runs, since my last long run was 9.5 miles and a month ago? Up until last month, I was at a fitness level that would put me at <2:00:00 hm. i would want to keep that as my goal. hm.="" i="" would="" want="" to="" keep="" that="" as="" my=""></2:00:00 hm. i would want to keep that as my goal.>

http://xkcd.com/621/

I would change the structure of your week to focus around 2 key workouts... since you are not doing speed work... ) I would say mid week (mid-long) run and a weekend long run... and I would run the day before your long run so like this m t w th F s Su 6 4 X X 5 8 x = 23 --- this is what you did/will do this week... I think 8 would be better 3 6 3 0 3 10 x = 25 3 6 3 0 3 12 0 = 27 0 3 8 0 3 14 X = 28 3 6 3 0 0 1-2 RACE = 26 YOUR TOTALS ARE 25 ** this week ** 28 32 28 29 with race I think my plan is a bit ambitious for you... but if you need to rest a bit you can drop one of the 3's and get 2 days rest to recover by dropping the wed run... at the very least we have a point to start the discussion...

Giant Flaming Dork

so like this m t w th F s Su 6 4 X X 5 8 x = 23 --- this is what you did/will do this week... I think 8 would be better 3 6 3 0 3 10 x = 25 3 6 3 0 3 12 0 = 27 0 3 8 0 3 14 X = 28 3 6 3 0 0 1-2 RACE = 26 I think my plan is a bit ambitious for you... but if you need to rest a bit you can drop one of the 3's and get 2 days rest to recover by dropping the wed run... at the very least we have a point to start the discussion...
        Thanks for looking!!! I'm in the process of transitioning between a "Higdon like" HM plan to a marathon plan that fits my schedule better. The training program I've been on has two "longish" runs on Tuesday and Thursday and the long run on Saturday. As you can see from my plan, I've been trying to move this to one longer run on Wed and the long run on Saturday. The transition completes on the week that I run my race (it continues past this point in my training as well). One of the things I have been cautioned in the past is that Higdon plans do not have sufficient weekday miles to support the long runs on the weekend. It appears that the plan you make does the same, having almost half of the miles of the week in the long run. To be honest, I don't know why it is bad to do this, I've just heard it's bad (If you know differently, please educate me!) I fear that "my plan is a bit ambitious for you" means "You run the risk of getting injured". I have not had any problems completing any runs up to this point. I have been very conservative about my increases in mileage. I think I need to bump it up, though, in order to make my goal. Of course no one can say whether I will get injured or not. I just wanted to know if it's something I should be concerned about.

Giant Flaming Dork

Hmm... I didn't really get the response I was hoping for. Did I post this on the right forum?

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

As long as you are building miles gradually and keeping the pace easy, you'll do fine. Perhaps run long on a loop so that if things fall apart you have an out. I ran a HM on <25mpw with regular long runs only up to 10 miles and the occasional 13 miler. did just fine. adding more miles helped a lot in the subsequent hm. i last followed a modified version of the hm training plan from coolrunning.com. i generally take a couple of plans and merge them to fit my schedule and fitness level/abilities. with="" regular="" long="" runs="" only="" up="" to="" 10="" miles="" and="" the="" occasional="" 13="" miler.="" did="" just="" fine.="" adding="" more="" miles="" helped="" a="" lot="" in="" the="" subsequent="" hm.="" i="" last="" followed="" a="" modified="" version="" of="" the="" hm="" training="" plan="" from="" coolrunning.com.="" i="" generally="" take="" a="" couple="" of="" plans="" and="" merge="" them="" to="" fit="" my="" schedule="" and="" fitness="" level/abilities.=""></25mpw with regular long runs only up to 10 miles and the occasional 13 miler. did just fine. adding more miles helped a lot in the subsequent hm. i last followed a modified version of the hm training plan from coolrunning.com. i generally take a couple of plans and merge them to fit my schedule and fitness level/abilities. >

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Without getting too scientific I think you need to put a bit more emphasis on longer runs to build up stamina, so you don't get tired with 3 miles to go. Also very good for self confidence and judging how to change your pace according to how you feel late in the race. Clearly you have the speed to reach your goal. Runasics, I miss Murray Walker, Brundle is smart and insightful, but not as spontaneously enthusiastic! Enjoy Monaco tomorrow! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.