Nike Lunar Trainer (Read 2075 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

Does anyone know where I can get these shoes?  I have a pair and love them and Nike seems to have stopped making them.  Any other shoes that people have tried that are similar?

Thanks!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

Not the Lunarswift
      mikeymike

Alas they are no more.  I have 2 pairs retired from running at 700+ miles each that I still wear--one for lawn mowing and one for walking around.

I can tell you the Lunarfly is no Lunar Trainer.  They're not terrible, but they're way different--way more cushy and the upper is too loose and weird.  They're okay for jogging around on easy days but I don't like them for anything remotely fast.

I'm thinking Saucony Kinvara for my next trainer based entirely on third party reviews, not having tried it on yet.

Runners run

I tried on the Kinvara at a race Expo, and LOVE them. Unfortunately, I don't need shoes right now.

They fit pretty similar to the Type A's I've got as far as sizing.

kosherdave, I like the NLT, too. I may just sub in the Asics DS Trainer.  It looks like adidas Supernova Cushion 6 and Mizuno Wave Ronin might also be good options.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I'm thinking Saucony Kinvara for my next trainer based entirely on third party reviews, not having tried it on yet.

Same here mikey, I think it was bhearn that bought them at an expo and said they were a nice neutral everyday trainer. i've been doing almost all my recent runs in Nike Marathoners or Asics Hyperspeeds, and the more minimal shoes seem to have greatly reduced (if not eliminated) a problem with my left knee.

They are backordered on eastbay.com, but I'm thinking of pulling the trigger anyway.  Listed at $90.00, but current sale of 20% off brings it down to $72.00.  I have a discount code for 20% off gift certificate purchase (or recharge in my case) so I can buy 72 "eastbay dollars" for a little less than $58.00.  Pretty sweet deal, time is running out on the GC discount code and my trigger finger is getting itchy.

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

The Kinvara and the Hyperspeed feel very similar to me.  I bought them both kind of to see which one I'll like better and  ran 6 miles in each and like both. My new Cumulus shoes are suddenly feeling very bulky.  Holabird has the Kinvara in stock for around $70.00 as well
                  The Kinvara and the Hyperspeed feel very similar to me.  I bought them both kind of to see which one I'll like better and  ran 6 miles in each and like both. My new Cumulus shoes are suddenly feeling very bulky.  Holabird has the Kinvara in stock for around $70.00 as well

Really like the Hyperspeed, but afraid I need a little more cushioning on runs longer than about two hours. Also thinking about the Ronin, but them is some butt ugly rides.  Itchier.

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Thanks guys, great advice!  I was thinkin about that new Saucony to replace the NLT so I'll give 'em a try.  My long distance shoe is the Asics DS Trainer (long distance being 20 miles to 60K) so I can keep buying those since I doubt they'll go away any time soon! 

But yeah, for my mid distance (the NLT) replacement, I'll check out the ones suggested, so, much appreciated!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                    Gatorade Endurance Team

I really like the Hyperspeed, but I'm getting pretty tired of taking direct hits with pieces of gravel in the sole vents.  Glad the Kinvara doesn't have the vents, just brought a pair home.  I didn't even take them off my feet, I just put my old shoes in the box.

Remembered I had a gift certificate from the Wicked Frosty Four courtesy of Wicked Running Club, so I headed for New England Running in Beverly.  I only had to give the really nice folks $65.00 after the GC, which is a great deal on some pretty sweet shoes.

Trail run tomorrow, but Tuesday I'll be trying the Kinvara's out.  I loves me some new shoes.    

E.J.

Why is it sideways?

I've been liking the adidas marathon 10 for a neutral, lightish, responsive trainer with cushion.

Skooter 3.0

Anyone know why they discontinued the lunar trainers anyway? I was under the impression that they did pretty well, and everyone seemed to like them...wtf? I know I loved my pair.

Goals?

Anyone know why they discontinued the lunar trainers anyway?

Fashion! Turn to the left
                            Fashion! Turn to the right
                            Oooh, fashion!
                            We are the goon squad
                            And we're coming to town
                            Beep-beep
                            Beep-beep

E.J.

I really like the Hyperspeed, but I'm getting pretty tired of taking direct hits with pieces of gravel in the sole vents.  Glad the Kinvara doesn't have the vents, just brought a pair home.  I didn't even take them off my feet, I just put my old shoes in the box.

Remembered I had a gift certificate from the Wicked Frosty Four courtesy of Wicked Running Club, so I headed for New England Running in Beverly.  I only had to give the really nice folks $65.00 after the GC, which is a great deal on some pretty sweet shoes.

Trail run tomorrow, but Tuesday I'll be trying the Kinvara's out.  I loves me some new shoes.    

I just got them, too.  I took the discontinuation of the NLT's as the opportunity to go with something lighter and see how it works out.  Happy running. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus