I got my 10K endurance back! (Read 43 times)

There was a period of time last year where I couldn't do over 4 miles and was walking in the last mile or so. Well we got all that out of our system, sugar. Now I be getting up at 3 AM and doing 6.1 miles before work, and I'm not fast but I've been slowly feeling better. It's part of my master plan to run my first full marathon in fall this year and somehow reach a total of 2,024 miles this year which will involve reaching an average of 9ish miles a day. Do you think is this is possible? All I need to do is avoid getting hurt and stay consistent.

if you're tired of starting over then stop giving up!

AndyP19

Well done Dave.
      I think your goal is totally possible. Especially being in your late 20's. Lot's of long slow running centred around a weekly "long run" would be my approach to the goal. The slower pace over long distances and long periods of time enables the body to condition it'self gentlywithout injuries to the the requirements of a marathon. At the moment my weekly "long run" is only 10km as I've just returned begining of December 2023. I'm aiming to increase it to 15km in Feb, 20km in March and 25km in April/May. For me that means maybe 2 hours running. From there I might do some community half marathons as a lead up. And towards August/Septemeber it should be cooler here in the Southern Hemisphere which should assist my times and endurance as well and provide a good platform to run a nice easy marathon.  At the moment it's the height of summer here. Quite hot in Australia

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

According to your log, you have not run more than 800 miles in a year. In December you logged 85 miles. The 10% rule may not apply to you but going from 50 miles a month to 168 miles (2024) a month is asking for an injury. The goals for your first marathon should be to make it to the starting line injury-free and to finish the marathon standing. Wishing you the best with your training.

There was a period of time last year where I couldn't do over 4 miles and was walking in the last mile or so. Well we got all that out of our system, sugar. Now I be getting up at 3 AM and doing 6.1 miles before work, and I'm not fast but I've been slowly feeling better. It's part of my master plan to run my first full marathon in fall this year and somehow reach a total of 2,024 miles this year which will involve reaching an average of 9ish miles a day. Do you think is this is possible? All I need to do is avoid getting hurt and stay consistent.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

According to your log, you have not run more than 800 miles in a year. In December you logged 85 miles. The 10% rule may not apply to you but going from 50 miles a month to 168 miles (2024) a month is asking for an injury. The goals for your first marathon should be to make it to the starting line injury-free and to finish the marathon standing. Wishing you the best with your training.

Yeah you're right, and I can't even be as consistent as I'd like to be right now because I have a very physically demanding job in a warehouse. In fact a guy who worked there the other day (who was 45) was like what are you doing? Saying i'm still young and how jobs like this destroy the body. He had been there 7 years and the difference between me and him was that he had taken the beating but since he'd been there so long he was getting ready to get a well-earned retirement plan from the company.

It's all good though, I'll be out of this job in 7 weeks though and moving to a different area and probably just take a job that's less strenuous and I'll have more energy to get back into cardio training. This job is the latest in a long strand of menial labor gigs I've had (roofing, garbage pickup, etc) and I always noticed that I wasn't running when I was doing those kind of gigs but I'm getting more concerned about fitness and heart health now that I don't take youth for granted anymore. A mistake of the young, I suppose.

if you're tired of starting over then stop giving up!