Suggestions for HM training plan (Read 784 times)

Prince of Fatness

Have a lot of weeks that include a weekend long run of 90+ minutes, a mid-week medium-long run of 60-80 minutes that is not a jog, and as many short (45 minute) easy runs as you can fit in on the other days
    This is almost exactly what I did leading into a HM last April and I was able to run a 3 minute PR.

Not at it at all. 

Forever Learning

Another one to look at is the Runner's World Ultimate HM plan. I loosely used it last Fall and know of many that have followed their Ultimate plans for a full with good success (i.e., BQ). http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-258-6851-0,00.html Like Higdon, they have Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced plans. It has a good mix of intervals thrown in at 5k and 10k pace along with some goal pace runs. I think the Ryan Hall plan looks good too and will probably use it for my first dedicated HM training this Spring.
        Here is post that may be of interest: http://forum.therunzone.com/printthread.php?t=497&pp=10
          I ran a 10 min pb in the half by not doing any speedwork all summer, 25km long runs most weekends, and then cramming a bunch of half marathon effort (just slower than pace) work in in the last two weeks, including a 10km warm up, 10km race at half goal pace, and then cool down 7 days beforehand. The biggest thing for a half is getting enough running in. Don't cut back to follow a canned plan.
          Rundadrun27

I've looked at a couple of the plans mentioned on here and personally, I don't like any of them. That's probably because I don't want someone telling me when, how far, and how fast to run. I have also started training for a HM on May 3rd and I've chosen to create my own plan. If it works, then great. If not, I'll know to change my plan for next time. Any advice from the "experts" on this forum is of course welcome.
              I've looked at a couple of the plans mentioned on here and personally, I don't like any of them. That's probably because I don't want someone telling me when, how far, and how fast to run. I have also started training for a HM on May 3rd and I've chosen to create my own plan. If it works, then great. If not, I'll know to change my plan for next time.
              A Rebel -- Or perhaps a Maverick --- I like that.......Your plan will work just fine......just make sure to include a some runs in the 15 to 20 mile category..........so when you run yur race 13.1 will be a peice of cake for you....Big grinBig grinWinkBig grinBig grin

Champions are made when no one is watching

I ran a 10 min pb in the half by not doing any speedwork all summer, 25km long runs most weekends, and then cramming a bunch of half marathon effort (just slower than pace) work in in the last two weeks, including a 10km warm up, 10km race at half goal pace, and then cool down 7 days beforehand. The biggest thing for a half is getting enough running in. Don't cut back to follow a canned plan.
                You need to put some returns in that sig of yours Smile
                MrH

Dakota, Didn't you find the paces a bit fast under the Ryan Hall plan? http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/smtcresults/0,7144,s6-238-277-278-0-0-0-0-0,00.html?hour=0&mins=59&secs=43&rlen=half&rdst=half4&mpwe=56&startf=123xyz&diff=hard&lrdy=0&slen=16&trainstart=ds1230604515828&metr=miles Shocked
                  Something not quite right there with their calculator - it doesn't quite scale for someone running that fast. For example, it recommends running four 'easy days' of 13 miles at 5:17 pace with an 8 mile 4:30 tempo run sandwiched in between. And that a week before the race.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Any advice from the "experts" on this forum is of course welcome.
                    I'm not an expert, but I probably qualify as an "expert". Run a lot. Mostly easy. Sometimes hard.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.