Garmin Communicator Plugin not recognized (Read 1573 times)

dwindhorst

I am a new member, just trying to get started.  I use a Garmin Forrunner 405.  My Garmin Communicator Plugin and Ant Agent have always worked perfectly with Garmin Connect (which I'm fed up with due to the lousy maps). 

My info:

IE 8, version 8.0.6001.18999

My ANT thumb is plugged into my computer and my fully-charged Garmin 405 is sitting next to it.

My problem: 

I clicked on "upload GPS data" on your RunningAHEAD Training Log page.   Messages I see:

"Device not connected," and "You need to install the Garmin Communicator Plugin before you can use your forerunner with RunningAHEAD."  Below that a message says, "Status:  Garmin Communicator Not Installed."   At the top of the page is a popup blocker message saying, "This website wants to run the following add-on: Garmin Communicator Plug-in 2.9.3.0. from Garmin International.  If you trust the website and the add-on and want to allow it to run, click here." 

Since I know I already have it installed, I went to the Garmin Communicator test page and it said my Communicator *is* installed.  I did go ahead and update to the latest version, v2.9.3.0.  (the same version as the pop-up blocker says RunningAHEAD wants to install).   I tried again to "upload GPS data" to RunningAHEAD" but still get the same messages saying my Communicator is not installed, and that I need to allow it to install Communicator v.2.9.3.0.    I'm hesitating to disable the popup blocker to allow RunningAHEAD to install the program I know is installed and working fine. 

Why can't RunningAHEAD see it on my computer?  What should I do?

Thanks!! 

eric :)

The Garmin Communicator is an ActiveX control (or plugin in other web browsers).  ActiveX controls are considered dangerous because it can access your computer's files and devices, thus a malicious website can take control of your computer.  Microsoft prevents ActiveX controls from running by default and you have to explicitly grant it permission before it can run on a site. If you don't, then RA doesn't see the plugin and would ask you to install it.

You granted Garmin Communicator access to Garmin Connect but probably forgot that you did.  You have to do the same thing for RunningAHEAD. 

dwindhorst

Good, just wanted to make sure the inablility of RunningAHEAD to see my Communicator wasn't a malfunction of some kind.  I allowed it.  Now wondering what "replace GPS elevation measurements" means (one of the options for the data transfer).  Replace them with what?

Thanks for your help!

eric :)

The GPS measured elevation is almost useless.  If you enable that option, it will be replaced with a reference elevation that is more accurate.

dwindhorst

Eric,

Altitude info from the 405 certainly is worthless!  Thanks. 

i saved the workouts and it worked, thanks!!   

Dana