Any schmo can run a marathon (Read 1395 times)

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Ryan Hall's shades are totally hot in that picture... Tongue
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks for posting that...I really had to smile at a couple of parts: "A typical human being can run above the trot-gallop transition speed of most mammals. Humans who aren't particularly athletic can run marathons." Yes we can. Big grin "Millions of people out there run marathons – tall, fat, short, skinny, big, small. Are these people abnormal? Of course not. They're telling us something about human evolution." Stuff like this really makes me miss my physical Anthro class in college. That stuff was fascinating.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

"Even middle-aged college professors can run at a speed that's above the trot-gallop transition of most animals," Lieberman says. Cripes. Did they have to use this as their barometer? Angry

Taltree 2010

Good article, thanks for the link. So am I understanding this correctly that if I cut my toes off, I'll be faster Big grin
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So am I understanding this correctly that if I cut my toes off, I'll be faster Big grin
              I was wondering about the toe thing. I have kinda long toes...maybe that's why I'm slow. Wink

~ Sarah Kay

"Even middle-aged college professors can run at a speed that's above the trot-gallop transition of most animals," Lieberman says. Cripes. Did they have to use this as their barometer? Angry
                In Europe it's the SI unit of running speed. In fact I think there's a middle-aged college professor kept in a climate controlled vault in Paris with which other middle-aged college professors can be calibrated. John (I heard`today that I got tenure so I am now, officially a middle-aged college professor).
                Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

(I heard`today that I got tenure so I am now, officially a middle-aged college professor).
                  Hey, congrats on that! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

seeEricaRun

Awesome

Ryan Hall's shades are totally hot in that picture... Tongue
                    I love how they match his shirt and bib. If only he had some nice, canary-yellow leg warmers, he'd look perfect! MTA: Ack s/shades/shoes/. Reading is hard.
                    xor

To me, he looks like a Simpsons character. I do kind of wonder if he wears those arm warmers full time, like eating in restaurants and stuff.

AnneCA

This was my favorite: Our over-sized rear end balances us during a jog. I knew it was good for something! MTA: Congratulations John!
                          It's just full of great quotes: "I defy most people to go out and kill a wildebeest with a wooden stick" The David Carrier mentioned in the article is the brother of This American Life favorite Scott Carrier. In 1997 Scott wrote one of the greatest ever This American Life episodes about his brother's endurance running hypothesis called 'Running after antelope'. You can listen to the whole thing at their website: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=685 It's actually the second story in the show but takes up the majority of the hour long show and starts at about 5:40 if you want to skip straight to it. If you've never heard it before you are in for a treat. It's also available in book form, a collection of Scott Carrier's short stories is entitled 'Running After Antelope' although I think it works much better as a radio story. John (Thanks Kirsten & Anne !)
                          Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.

Best Present Ever

I love how they match his shirt and bib. If only he had some nice, canary-yellow leg warmers, he'd look perfect! MTA: Ack s/shades/shoes/. Reading is hard.
                              hahaha, leg warmers. Big grin
                                norrin_radd, Big grin and Hearty Congratulations on getting tenure! (insert dancing broccoli here)