BQ on non-certified course (Read 919 times)

my buddy is running Connemarra in Ireland a week from Sunday. He brought up the following question: "Is there any possibility that the BAA would accept a time from a non-qualified course?" I've read the qualifying info for domestic and foreign courses ... I am just curious now ... is anyone aware of the BAA granting a "waiver" or accepting a "petition" in such a circumstance? [I would think that they may consider it ... then again I may be way off base.]

2012= under-goaled

xor

Nope.

Asked and answered -- thanks Steve

2012= under-goaled

Was it all a dream?

I bet they would consider it if he ran a time well under the qualifying standard.
          JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

I bet they would consider it if he ran a time well under the qualifying standard.
            Well poor Nicholas Kurgat won’t even qualify for Boston with his 2:19:34 marathon so I wouldn’t expect anyone else to get special consideration. http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1279622.html
            xor

Well poor Nicholas Kurgat won’t even qualify for Boston with his 2:19:34 marathon so I wouldn’t expect anyone else to get special consideration. http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1279622.html
              Wait. Two things: 1. Fixed link: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1279622.html (line breaks in an a tag don't work right) 2. That's a great story... and nothing at all to do with the original post. City of Oaks was a certified BQable course. Kurgat's deal and potential consideration are wholly, completely different from someone running an uncertified course.

Was it all a dream?

Well poor Nicholas Kurgat won’t even qualify for Boston with his 2:19:34 marathon so I wouldn’t expect anyone else to get special consideration.
                They let Samuel Ndereba (younger brother of Catherine "The Great") run in 2007 without a time on a BQ certified course...

Imminent Catastrophe

They let Samuel Ndereba (younger brother of Catherine "The Great") run in 2007 without a time on a BQ certified course...
                  There are always plenty of special entries for celebrities and VIPs that don't have to qualify. Also charity entries.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

slimbo, does your buddy know anyone famous and/or elite? I mean, besides you of course :-).

slimbo, does your buddy know anyone famous and/or elite? I mean, besides you of course :-).
                      I am neither fleet of feet nor elite MTA ... I am pretty sure he met Cher once ... but that's another story

2012= under-goaled

Runner

I would think that someone on the course would have told him he was off course......right? no race officials to help out?

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

The BAA probably won't grant an exception, even if he runs well under BQ time. However, it costs nothing to submit a request. The BAA entry rules also say that no exceptions will be granted for those who just miss running a BQ time....they even say to not ask. However, a couple of years ago I knew a guy who was an exchange student from the UK and missed a BQ time in a US marathon by less than a minute just a few weeks before Boston. He was scheduled to return to the UK the following summer, so he appealed to the BAA for an exception, which was granted. Yes, his circumstances were unusual. But the point is they sometimes do grant exceptions in unusual circumstances. Approximately 20% of Boston entrants are non-qualifiers. And only about a fourth of them (5-6% of total entrants) are charity runners. That leaves as many as 3500 who are invitees and/or exceptions. I'm not suggesting that your friend's chances are good. Just that he won't know for certain if he doesn't ask.
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have a friend who missed a BQ time by 2 minutes after stopping to help a fallen runner (heart attack) during a race. She appealed to the BAA and was granted a slot.

Imminent Catastrophe

Yeah but... An individual exception based on unique circumstances is reasonable. Accepting uncertified results is something entirely different, and could result in dozens, or potentially hundreds of extra unearned entries, for each race. If my fastest marathon were 0.2 miles short, I would have BQ'ed.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

The article says: Micheels said the City of Oaks full marathon is a USATF-certified event and officials must follow their rules and guidelines. One of their rules is that if you switch races, intentionally or unintentionally, you're disqualified," he said. After conquering the hilly course, Crews said he wasn't bothered at all by Nicholas Kurgat's presence. He saw him but didn't think twice that he didn't belong. If anything, he said the lead runner "helped him run faster." So, if the reason for disqualifying Kurgat was attributed to USATF rules, should Crews have also been disqualified under Rule 144(e) and (g) for getting assistance from an unregistered, non-designated and unofficial pace setter (rabbit)? Wink