2010 Goal of Sub 3:00 marathon (Read 8721 times)

jordirio

Hi

I  four weeks Barcelona marathon with the goal of sub 3

This week 90 km

Today 32 km @ 4'22'' / km 

Next week a HM test ( I hope around 1h23')

10km 38'19''

HM 1h22'07''

M 2h58'44'' 

How's this sound for this week?

I'm running the Myrtle Beach Marathon on Saturday as a long training run / with a guy I work with.  I told him I'd pace him through the first 20 miles at an 3:30 pace.   

Should I:

a) make it a high mileage week (60 +)  and pace 3:30 all the way

b) make it a build week (50-55) and try descend to a last mile at MP?

c) shot for an easy week (45 - 50), run what I feel like and not worry about any injury for boston?

I'm leaning towards option b.   

This week didn't get in the miles I wanted thanks to a lot of rain, some 14 hour days of teaching, and a nasty stomach bug. 

Looks like I'm out for a month now with my Achilles injury.  Last month I took two weeks off hoping that would be enough to allow me some easy mileage.  Last week I did four runs less than three miles each and easy paced.  At the end of the week, my Achilles was worse than it started.  I'm going to need to be completely off running for awhile and give the Achilles all the time it needs to get better.  I'm continuing to do my stretches and probably bring out my wife's bike from the garage and ride that.  I'm really hoping by the summer I can get back to regular training.
        Purdey

Self anointed title

do you have any performances to support your sub 2:50 and 59:00 goals? Looking at your PRs, I'd expect to see some intermediate distances (5km, 8km, 10km) at that 5:54 pace  or better.

Ran a very comfortable 18 in 2:01 today.  Feeling a bit more positive about my chances of a 2:50.  Need a bit more speedwork/hillwork and some more regular long runs... but apart from that (!) I'm starting to feel more confident.

When I signed up for the Kaiser SF 1/2 last Dec, I was hoping for sub 1:27.  My training is not back on track for the last 1.5 months, so a few days ago, I reset my goal to sub 1:28. 

But last night, I only had 1.5 hours of sleep.  I am super sensitive to caffeine.  I suspect that the decaf latte that I got from McCafe yesterday evening wasn't a real decaf.  Couldn't fall asleep until 2:30 but had to get up at 4am to get prepared for this race.

So, I was just hoping for a PR.

I doped with caffeine a bit.  Took a caffienated gel before the race.  My legs felt tired in the first few miles.  But when I got to the downhill portion, I was able to pick up a little.  Starting from mile 7 on the Great Highway, it was very boring.  Just wide straight road with no end in sight both way.  A lot of people were behind me so I didn't get the benefit of the tail wind from mile 7 to 10.  But once we made the u-turn, everyone became single file.  The wind was so strong.  It was brutal.

I managed to HTFU and did ok, finishing with 1:27:47, a 1 min 3 sec PR.
            Splits are as follows:
            1) 6:46
            2) 6:40
            3) 6:32
            4) 6:51
            5) 6:47
            6) 6:17
            7) 6:25
            8) 6:40
            9) 6:55 (marker position was wrong, this mile was long)
            10) 6:19 (marker position was wrong, so this mile was short
            11) 6:54 (gusty head wind)
            12) 6:56 (gusty head wind)

Last 1.1 7:39 (gusty head wind + ~0.5 mile uphill)

I have ways to go before I can realistically attempt sub 3.  But I still have time.  My goal race is in Oct.  8.5 more months!

kcam

Congrats on the PR, George.  Another step towards the sub 3.

MTA:  I think you're right about Mile 9 being short and 10 being long.  My Garmin had 9 at 1.05 and 10 at 0.96.

Are we there yet?

Hi

I  four weeks Barcelona marathon with the goal of sub 3

This week 90 km

Today 32 km @ 4'22'' / km 

Next week a HM test ( I hope around 1h23')

Tu puedes hacerlo!! Vaya con Dios!

kcam

Tu puedes hacerlo!! Vaya con Dios!

~1:23 will put you right there for a good go at sub-3.  Good luck and, for all of us on the thread, keep training ... Si se puede!

altmizzle

Yikes...dnf. 

Felt really good through the halfway point (1:24:5something).  Between 14 and 15 the wheels fell off, so I pulled the plug.  My training was well below where it needed to be, but I have a six week old, so I have no regrets about that.  Running-wise, I got what I deserved.

Going to take a week of two of R&R and then maybe shoot for something marathon-ish in October, we'll see.

Good luck to the rest of you!

"If within us, we find nothing above us, we succumb to whatever is around us."

Right on Hereford...

Ran a very comfortable 18 in 2:01 today.  Feeling a bit more positive about my chances of a 2:50.  Need a bit more speedwork/hillwork and some more regular long runs... but apart from that (!) I'm starting to feel more confident.

Wow, 18 at 6:43 pace! Great run, Tom. Even more so because it felt comfortable.

jordirio

Thanks for your comments ChakaKhan and Kencamet

I will try a sub 3 in four weeks

My PR in marathon is 3h06' last year

I know it`s a very difficult challenge, but..... I have trained hard with a good mileage

i will inform you....

10km 38'19''

HM 1h22'07''

M 2h58'44'' 

It's not that difficult. It's not even racing, but lasting till the end at the subscribed pace.

jordirio, you should make it.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Are we there yet?

Running-wise, I got what I deserved.

Thanks for being a good example of what not to do because it is thru you that I learn more perhaps than from watching someone run 70mpw. Took one for the team. Enjoy your newborn!!

DoppleBock

Altmizzle - We would like to hear about it - From you training log entry, I have to say I am sorry you did not hit your goal.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Dopple Bock,

Please put me down on the 2010 Hopefuls list as well.

johnmaas - 03/21/2010 Shamrock Marathon - Virginia Beach, VA

Training has been going well, and I have not raced a marathon since June.

Good luck to everyone else seeking this goal!

John