2010 Goal of Sub 3:00 marathon (Read 8721 times)

City of Salisbury 10 mi done today in 59:35.  My PRs are all very old and, as I hope I have just proved, pretty soft.

Quite happy with it.  Hilly course.  I have a cold with a bad cough.  No more excuses really.... didn't pace it very well : 5 mi splits were 29:10 / 30:25.  Need to control my initial enthusiasm - think I kicked off today at 5:45 pace.  Not very clever.

Terrific breakthrough, Purdey. You're going to have a great time smashing your entire list of PRs in the month & year to come. Should be fun to watch.

Good luck with your preparations for sub-3 and beyond. I wonder just how much sub-3 you'll bite off on this next attempt.

Purdey

Self anointed title

I wonder just how much sub-3 you'll bite off on this next attempt.

Hopefully 10 minutes and 1 second.  I will be over the moon with a 2:49:59, but to be honest anything under 3 hours will be fantastic. 

The assault on the rest of the PRs will have to wait until after the end of April.  It starts with a flat city centre 10k in May.  Hoping to take at least 2 mins off my PR.

I have just seen Jordiro's pacing... wow.  As DoppleBock said "a thing of beauty".  That is a stunning piece of running in anyone's book.

Right on Hereford...

Purdey, I just checked your log. Are these your real PR's at these distances? For real???

Like, you've never run a marathon faster than 3:43, or a half faster than 1:27? If so, you are so ready to smash those PRs.

Personal Records

Your personal records, often referred to as "PRs", consist of your best time for races of a given distance. Below is the list of your PRs automatically generated from the race results you entered.

Distance Time Pace Event Date  
        5 km 19:14 6:12 Wilton 5km 3/1/2009 View Race
        10 km 38:25 6:11 Oxford Town & Gown 5/17/2009 View Race
        10 Mi 59:35 5:58 City of Salisbury 10 Mile Road Race 3/7/2010 View Race
        Half Marathon 1:27:08 6:40 Downton Half Marathon 11/30/2008 View Race
        Marathon 3:43:00 8:31 Clarendon Marathon 10/5/2008 View Race
        50 Mi 7:47:00 9:21 Thames Path Ultra 1/17/2009 View Race
        75.8 Mi 12:00:00 9:30 Crawley 12hr track ultra 4/4/2009 View Race
        91.7 Mi 24:00:00 15:43 Sri Chinmoy Self Transcendence 24hr race 10/17/2009 View Race

bhearn

Wow, lots of great racing over weekend. Congrats especially to new graduates jordirio and T1Dawk!

I see a very good chance for a positive surprise from you. I think you are going to like the Napa Valley course.

Have a great run. Jim 

Thanks, and good luck with the recovery. I ran 3:13:32. I think maybe I had a sub-3:10 in me, but after the potty stop at mile 14 I was content to just finish comfortably under 3:15. It was a beautiful course, and the weather was perfect. Given that I'm up 15 pounds from last year's sub-3 at Boston, I'm pretty happy I could throw down a 3:13 in a casual outing.

I was inspired by Marathon Maniacs cofounder Chris Warren, who ran a 2-minute PR 2:49:58 in his 175th marathon (incidentally exactly tying Maniacs' president Steve Yee's PR). What's really inspiring about this is that Chris went about 5 years between sub-3s, until getting back into form last summer, at age 40. Obviously his current training (a combination of Pfitzinger, "Run Faster", and training with very fast women) is working very well for him.

jordirio

Congrats T1 Dawk for your great race this weekend¡¡¡

Very impressive race

10km 38'19''

HM 1h22'07''

M 2h58'44'' 

Purdey

Self anointed title

Purdey, I just checked your log. Are these your real PR's at these distances? For real???

Like, you've never run a marathon faster than 3:43, or a half faster than 1:27? If so, you are so ready to smash those PRs.

Personal Records

Your personal records, often referred to as "PRs", consist of your best time for races of a given distance. Below is the list of your PRs automatically generated from the race results you entered.

Distance Time Pace Event Date  
              5 km 19:14 6:12 Wilton 5km 3/1/2009 View Race
              10 km 38:25 6:11 Oxford Town & Gown 5/17/2009 View Race
              10 Mi 59:35 5:58 City of Salisbury 10 Mile Road Race 3/7/2010 View Race
              Half Marathon 1:27:08 6:40 Downton Half Marathon 11/30/2008 View Race
              Marathon 3:43:00 8:31 Clarendon Marathon 10/5/2008 View Race
              50 Mi 7:47:00 9:21 Thames Path Ultra 1/17/2009 View Race
              75.8 Mi 12:00:00 9:30 Crawley 12hr track ultra 4/4/2009 View Race
              91.7 Mi 24:00:00 15:43 Sri Chinmoy Self Transcendence 24hr race 10/17/2009 View Race

Dakota - yes those are correct.  I hadn't raced a conventional distance since May 2009 (which was a disappointing 10k, but still a PR).  From then until Oct it was all about ultras (and still is, deep down).  My PRs are very soft, well... apart from the 10 mi PR!  Note:  the marathon PR was a point-to-point cross country marathon with a significant overall elevation gain - I could probably only run it in 3:15 - 3:20 at the moment - it is a very hard course.

I am probably in shape to run a 1:20ish half and maybe a 2:50 at the moment.  But my training has not been great and now I've come down with a horrendous cold, just when I should be maxing out my training for the marathon.

DoppleBock

Congrats T1dawk - I added you to the list post race - Welcome

What is up next after a nice recovery?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Marathons are getting crazy - Closing way too soon!

Out little marathon in Milwaukee Oct 3rd - Already has the relay closed out and 1000 out of 2700 runners.  It used to not close out at all (About 3-4 years ago) - Now I would guess it will be closed by end of May.

I ran it in 2005

signed up in 2007-2009 and did not run (Injury in 07 and chose to run something else in 09)

I am 50-60% likely to run it this year -

kcam

Congratulations to jordirio and T1dawk for well-run sub3's. 

With a sub-60 10miler Purdey has shown how to train for these things.  Damm impressive. I'm gonna have to go study that training log to get some ideas for next cycle (as if I don't know what's gonna be in there - run LOTS!).

I ran a 10miler this past weekend in a disappointing 64:30.  I felt like I was in better shape than  the 62:53 I did back in January but it just didn't happen for me.  The Jan race was in perfect conditions and this one was only slightly worse but my performance was significantly worse.  No excuses as I felt pretty good before and even during the race.    Sometimes it's just not your day.  Last tune-up race for me before Boston is the Across the Bay 12K on March 21.   This will be a train-through race so not expecting a great time there.

DoppleBock

Congratulations to jordirio and T1dawk for well-run sub3's. 

With a sub-60 10miler Purdey has shown how to train for these things.  Damm impressive. I'm gonna have to go study that training log to get some ideas for next cycle (as if I don't know what's gonna be in there - run LOTS!).

I ran a 10miler this past weekend in a disappointing 64:30.  I felt like I was in better shape than  the 62:53 I did back in January but it just didn't happen for me.  The Jan race was in perfect conditions and this one was only slightly worse but my performance was significantly worse.  No excuses as I felt pretty good before and even during the race.    Sometimes it's just not your day.  Last tune-up race for me before Boston is the Across the Bay 12K on March 21.   This will be a train-through race so not expecting a great time there.

Chin up

Like you said there could be lots of reasons

I really do not put much weight on 1 data point

Last year I ran 1:24:04 half marathon - 5 weeks before I ran a 2:48:10 marathon - I should have been able to run a 1:21 something - Not a big deal - It really counts at the marathon ... then its "Show time"

Kencamet - just for discussion sake.  I went back and looked at your last few weeks of training.   All of it you called easy pace save for a couple 3 mile tempos and some short track meet races.   I think you have to have a bit more intensity in a workout a couple days out from a race.  What do you think?

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

kcam

ksrunr, very possible.  Those track races kinda messed with my timing a little.  I hate having to choose between the races I want to run.  I guess I have to accept that if I run too many races, none will be optimum and either adjust my expectations or push away from the race smorgasboard.   The track races were the day before the tempo miles so for sure those two days were far from ideal.  I believe I would have gotten in some more properly spaced workouts if not for that.  Anyway, the track series is over so I can add in some helpful workouts to get me ready for Boston.

Runner

Thanks all.  Now that my recovery is now almost complete(I actually stayed away from this site to keep from thinking about running too much) and I have taken the longest break from running sicnce I don't know how long.   I am going to start working towards my summer races. 

On my agenda are a stage race I did last year, and Ironman Louisville in August.  I've got go get back on the bike, and since I hit my sub-3 goal I'm going to work on those other areas for a while and hopefully return back for a good assault on Boston next year.  Also I'm considering a 100 miler after the Ironman...

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

Up next 

Gopher Ryan - 03/21/10  LA Marathon, Los Angelos, CA

johnmaas - 03/21/10 Shamrock Marathon, Viginia Beach, VA

Gentelmen - How are you feeling ?

One week to go.

Pros: 

• Training cycle had 8 runs of 20 or more miles, 6 of them well-executed fast finish long runs.
                              • 8 weeks of training averaged 50 miles/week and 5 weeks were 68 miles/week.
                              • Managed to get my weight down to 149, as it was back up to 158 in December.

Cons:

• Most of the miles were on a treadmill.  I'm starting to question my level of fitness, now that I've run outdoors finally.  It sometimes feels like it is more work for a given pace.
                              • Got a chest cold this past week.
                              • Right shin splint pain has come on it the past two weeks (so much for shin splints being a "beginner" injury).
                              • No benchmark races to compare for "projected" performance.

It's probably just taper madness setting in.  I'm fine.

John

DoppleBock

iTs not your fitness that has to be questioned - It takes a couple of weeks (1-2) to get your outside legs back. 

You will be fine!