Losing my desire to run (Read 1434 times)

I used to cherish my 5am runs. I prided myself on running in any weather no matter what. Lately, however, I seem to make excuses regularly. Phrases like “I’m too cold.” or “My feet still hurt from this weekend” are more and more common. It just seems to be getting harder and harder to motivate myself. Does anyone have any stories/advise for me? I’ve got less than two months until my first marathon and I really could use the encouragement.
      I don`t know what others will have to add, but I completely understand how that feels. I went through the same thing about 4 years ago. I think what caused my "burnout" was that I, like you, I was hitting the roads at 5:00 am, never seeing the sun while running, staying cold and dressed for the weather. I was also hammering all my runs out too hard and fast. I eventually suffered from some overuse injuries and that really set me on a downward spiral. I don`t remember who it was, but it was over on "Coolrunning" then, but they gave me some good advice that I have followed ever since, especially when I start feeling that way. I started leaving my watch, GPS, and similar "gadgets" at home. I also would go for quick runs at lunch or right after work, just so I could feel the warmth of the sun and be around others. I quit worrying about weekly miles, paces, heartrate, etc, and just started running the way I did when I first became a "runner." After a few days of no pressure, I have to tell you, it made a HUGE difference in my attitude and excitement towards my workouts. They stopped feeling like weights that were attached to me or just "committments" that I felt like I HAD to get done. Not saying that you are going through "burnout" or anything, because I know nothing about your training runs or your goals,, but I do know that training for a marathon includes running every mile you can, and having to HTFU through weather you probably normally would take a day off in. With two months until your event, you could probably afford to take a short "breather", just to get your legs back under you. If for nothing else, it would give you a few days to just enjoy "life", without feeling like a "slave" to the sport. Good luck in your training and on your marathon!
      "I never said it was going to be easy. I only said it would be worth it."
      jeffdonahue

I would try to mix it up. We all get a little that way this time of year when there is less sunlight. Maybe try a run at lunch instead one day so you can see some light. Try a new route, even if you ahve to drive to it. Or even better, find a friend or running club to run with a couple times a week - just something to break up the monotony of running alone. Running alone can be great, but after a while it can get to you.
        RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Mixing it up is a great idea. I think we all hit this sort of patch but then something comes along that keeps us going. Yesterday for me it was running in 50 degree weather again in shorts and a shirt. It was a tough hilly course with a lot of wind but it was still great to know that I could finish that. I don't think many people would even try. Getting up early is really hard. Besides the weekends I don't do it anymore. It is hard to get out of bed and get out the door. I think trying to run later in the day is an excellent idea, along with a different route. I find that I like to run with a group sometimes and sometimes I like to run alone like last night. Stick to. No better feeling then finishing your first marathon - no matter what the time is. It is something few can actually do. I suspect that you are not seeing the gains as fast as you were hoping but maybe I am wrong. Side note - You could also take a couple of days off and swim or take a cycling class. They would keep you in shape but also give you something different to do. I find that when I start to take a day off that it drives me crazy that I am not running. I skipped Monday and was planning on skipping Tuesday as well to let my ankle heal but couldn't do it. You may find the same thing.
            2011 Goals:
            Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
            Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
            I don`t remember who it was, but it was over on "Coolrunning" then, but they gave me some good advice that I have followed ever since, especially when I start feeling that way. I started leaving my watch, GPS, and similar "gadgets" at home. I also would go for quick runs at lunch or right after work, just so I could feel the warmth of the sun and be around others. I quit worrying about weekly miles, paces, heartrate, etc, and just started running the way I did when I first became a "runner." After a few days of no pressure, I have to tell you, it made a HUGE difference in my attitude and excitement towards my workouts. They stopped feeling like weights that were attached to me or just "committments" that I felt like I HAD to get done. !
            I agree with this. When I started not worrying about the pace, the runs felt better. I used be exhausted after each run which would affect the next run. Now I just run 90% of the time and even when I am pushing it, I don't check my Garmin unless someone else in the Sunday run group want to know their time.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Buck, how much sunshine have you been seeing in your part of IL? I know that for me this time of year can really kill my motivation by the midpoint of Winter. This last week when we had clear roads, warmer temps and sunshine I never gave getting out there a second thought. But now that we've seemed to drop back into icy Hell I am finding the motivation sorely lacking. Tomorrow I have a 14 miler on the schedule and I am dreading it...single digit windchills and Yaktrax for that distance is making me almost physically ill to think about. What keeps me from throwing in the towel is that May marathon on the horizon. I can't blow my runs off. And I know that the worst of Winter is definitely behind us. Just a few more weeks and we'll have seen the last of the truly nasty Winter storms and sub-zero windchills. Think of these next couple of weeks as a last push...show Old Man Winter who's really stronger. And no more excuses! Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

L Train

For God's sake, man - you have a marathon in 8 weeks and you have two 12 milers under your belt. For me, the fear of crashing would be my motivator. You didn't ask, but you'll get plenty of people on here who will tell you you should reevaluate (delay) your first marathon, particularly if you are unmotivated at this point. (Modified for spelling)

DoppleBock

Just continue to fake it for awhile ... Soon it will be spring and spring is an amazing time to run or Work out a reward system with your wife ... no sex unless you run at least 30 miles in that week ... 40 = 2x, 50 = 3x If you are not motivated by the impending doom of an undertrained marathon ... maybe the sex thing will do it for you.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

For God's sake, man - you have a marathon in 8 weeks and you have two 12 milers under your belt. For me, the fear of crashing would be my motivator. You didn't ask, but you'll get plenty of people on here who will tell you you should reevaluate (delay) your first marathon, particularly if you are unmotivated at this point.
                    Im not sure what to say to you but I do belive that if you can find a different time of day to run, you might be a lot better for it. I am in the 30 to 40 MPW category and can guarantee you that If I was going out at 5:00 AM, I would probably be getting around 3 ot 5 MPW. If you can find some daytime hours with the sun shining it would help a lot (least I think so). Also, I always wait until around noon or so on the weekends so that when I go out its a little warmer and nice and sunny....reminds me that things will get better.. And L Train really nailed it........a marathon is a remarkably unforgiving distance to run and should not be taken lightly. With only two 12 mile runs and a weekly average of 20 or less, I think you might be flirting with disappointment or injury and quite possibly both. I would recommend you reconsider your marathon - it doesn't seem like a good idea for you just yet. Find a better time for some of your runs (if you can) and really think this marathon thing thru....

Champions are made when no one is watching

DoppleBock

I used to me a morning runner and I am trying hard to get back to mornings - But in the mean time, I am running after work until I change my wicked ways

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

jeffdonahue

Just continue to fake it for awhile ... Soon it will be spring and spring is an amazing time to run or Work out a reward system with your wife ... no sex unless you run at least 30 miles in that week ... 40 = 2x, 50 = 3x If you are not motivated by the impending doom of an undertrained marathon ... maybe the sex thing will do it for you.
                        Judging by your log, I am guessing your wife set the sex limit at 60 miles a week?
                        mikeymike

Runners run.

Runners run

Oh Mighty Wing

Fear is a liability.
                            JimR

I used to cherish my 5am runs. I prided myself on running in any weather no matter what. Lately, however, I seem to make excuses regularly. Phrases like “I’m too cold.” or “My feet still hurt from this weekend” are more and more common. It just seems to be getting harder and harder to motivate myself. Does anyone have any stories/advise for me? I’ve got less than two months until my first marathon and I really could use the encouragement.
                              Heh. Similar boat for me, I had signed up for a full in May but I'm going to change it to a half because I simply haven't put in the training for it and I don't have enough time to ready. However, I've already completed 4 fulls so it's no big deal for me to skip it. I've really cut back over this winter, partly due to the amount of snow we had, but mostly because it was becoming a chore to get out and I had a lot of other obligations that needed tending. I still run, just not as much yet enough to keep me in the game. I really really needed an extended break from it. Now the weather's getting better, I'm itchy to get back to a full routine and it's nice to know I don't have to really push it, I can run it all easy. As far as motivation for getting to your first, you're going to have to find the time to fit those big runs in and all those filler runs to make it easier. Think of it this way, you don't want to be standing on that start line in two months waaaaay unprepared, it will just make your first marathon a horrible experience. Better to put that effort in now when you have control over it rather than trying to leverage some race-day magic that really isn't going to be there. Get to bed early enough to get out, make time for it. Keep those big long runs easy and don't push them to your limits, you'll ramp up faster if you can keep yourself from being burned out by them.
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

As far as motivation for getting to your first, you're going to have to find the time to fit those big runs in and all those filler runs to make it easier. Think of it this way, you don't want to be standing on that start line in two months waaaaay unprepared, it will just make your first marathon a horrible experience. Better to put that effort in now when you have control over it rather than trying to leverage some race-day magic that really isn't going to be there. Get to bed early enough to get out, make time for it. Keep those big long runs easy and don't push them to your limits, you'll ramp up faster if you can keep yourself from being burned out by them.
                                Buck, another thing to consider...perhaps waiting on that full marathon just a bit longer. I have no doubt that you'd be well prepared for a half in 2 months...and it would almost certainly be a better experience. Maybe look at a Fall full when running early in the AM is a lot more pleasant in the Midwest. There's no rush to do the full if you're not ready and on your current training you're a lot less likely to end up injured and a lot more likely to have a good time if you were to scale-back this time around. Is part of your difficulty getting out the door perhaps your body and mind's way of telling you to take it easier on your current goal?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay