GPS watch for 10 year old girl (Read 1630 times)

atomno2

My daughter is starting to train for a HM.  I wanted to get her some sort of watch to help her out.  I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 and I like it.  I'm afraid that something like that it is just too big for her wrist.  Is there anything out there comparable in a smaller form factor?  I would like to keep cost down as well.

Not that I am fast but--

Okay, here we go. Focus. Speed. I am speed. One winner, forty-two losers. I eat losers for breakfast. Breakfast? Maybe I should have had breakfast? Brekkie could be good for me. No, no, no, focus. Speed. Faster than fast, quicker than quick. I am Lightning.” — Lightning McQueen

how about nike plus its alright in terms of accuracy id say

Tyler S

The new Garmin Forerunner 110 is much smaller, and easy to use.

e454545rt

The 210 is a good option as well.

Why is it sideways?

A 10 year old training for a half marathon?

A 10 year old wearing a Garmin?

Mark me down as a grumpy old man. Whatever happened to cross-country?

Maybe it's one of those mini HMs? 

Feeling the growl again

She had better stay off my lawn. At that age that sounds awfully long, and gadgety, at a critical time to make it fun or risk turning them off to it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

L Train

Don't know the details here but that was my first reaction also.

Maybe it's one of those mini HMs? 

It's not an HM then is it?

This trend of littering race titles with the word "marathon" irrespective of the actual distance kind of irritates me.

HermosaBoy

Unfortunately, 10 is a bit young to be on most XC teams.  In Minnesota, you can't join the team until 7th grade which would put the age around 12ish???

As for the GPS, I think I might be tempted to just give her a cheap running watch and measure out some routes for her.  If they stick with it, then you step up to the GPS.  Buying the GPS right out at the start might put a bit much pressure on her.

Just a thought...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Why is it sideways?

Unfortunately, 10 is a bit young to be on most XC teams.  In Minnesota, you can't join the team until 7th grade which would put the age around 12ish???

Unfortunately? Until then there's the best training: soccer and softball and tag and kick the can and church basketball and frisbee and ride her bike and stuff like that for another year or two.

I don't recommend a GPS watch for adults so I sure as hell wouldn't recommend one for a 10 yo.  She's got the rest of her life to suck the joy out of running, why start so soon with the gadgets?

Runners run

HermosaBoy

Unfortunately?

Just responding to your previous comment...

Not going to argue with you about the other stuff -- I was a mutli-sport athlete and didn't take up running until I was 40.  I still ran a few races every now and then into my 20s just based on what I did for other sports and did just fine...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

L Train

kick the can

How old are you?

L Train

In related news, who do I need to speak to in order to be a friend of Reading for GD's sake?  I want to suck the joy out of my running by running a 5K, but online registration is closed.  I promise to run without my Garmin.