GPS watch for 10 year old girl (Read 1630 times)

Kalsarikännit

My daughter likes talking about running, wearing the race shirts, and talking about the races she's run.  The running part of running she's less excited about

Same here.  Big grin

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

xor

So Wrigley, will you be bringing your daughter to Monkey this year?

My daughter likes talking about running, wearing the race shirts, and talking about the races she's run.  The running part of running she's less excited about.

Heck with our kids....this describes me a lot of days....

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

A friend's 6 year old son ran a marathon this spring.

He did it at school and they spread it out over a month. Families came out to watch the kids run the last mile and they made a big deal of it for the kids. I think it was very age appropriate and was positive for everyone from many angles.

See. Everyone is doing marathons these days, even first graders...

Fred Phelps used to make his kids run marathons http://ctc.coin.org/hoa/results/1970.htm It isn't bad for kids to run a lot of miles and they should slowly work up to it over a period of years.  Racing at such a young age though can lead to burnout so be careful.  

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly

If my 10 yr old wanted to run one I would coach him to a successful half.  He doesn't so I don't have to worry.  As for the GPS I would not get him one but rather make him do the math to figure out pace in his head, have him run known courses, and run with him to make sure he is having fun and enjoying it. 

As for the running a kids marathon ( a 26.2 mile run over many days) I am all for it and would give a kid one of my full marathon medals to celebrate it with.  Anything that gets the kids out the door to be physically more fit.  I have ran and seen many kids run odd distances and races so I very rarely question it because I am not their parent and or the race director and I don't wnt others putting their noses in my families life.  I am proud of the 10 yr old for enjoying my sport.

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

mgiven

Revisiting this thread to see if the OP is around and if he ever got his Daughter a watch. I'm in the same situation as my 12-year old would like a running watch that would also double as a day-to-day watch. I'm surprised in this thread no one suggested a Garmin 60/non-GPS footpod option. They're relatively cheap, most of the functions of their highest end watches and very small form-factor for a teen girl to use as a daily watch (even come in pink!) Sure she'd survive without one, but as others have mentioned, kids love gadgets and sometimes it helps them stay motivated. In my case I'm tired of hearing "what's my pace? what's my pace? what's my pace?" in the middle of runs :-)

atomno2

Thanks for all of the input and feed back.  I will not be getting GPS .  As long as she continues to like running, I am not going to stop her.  She ran her first 5K in the 3rd grade, and has run quite a few races since then.  This is something that she decided she wanted to do with her mom, and I don't see any issues with it.  There are several 5K and 10K races between now and then and she will run them. At any point it is no longer fun, she can and will stop.  Growing up I speed skated and the lessons I learned from that are worth more than words can say.  While running not skating, is very similar because there is a training cycle.  It teaches self motivation, acceptance of defeat, joy of winning, how to work hard, ect.  It also keeps her active and off of the couch.

I did not get the watch....and she decided that she did not want to run.  She still does some of the shorter stuff with her mom and I... 

Not that I am fast but--

Okay, here we go. Focus. Speed. I am speed. One winner, forty-two losers. I eat losers for breakfast. Breakfast? Maybe I should have had breakfast? Brekkie could be good for me. No, no, no, focus. Speed. Faster than fast, quicker than quick. I am Lightning.” — Lightning McQueen

Feeling the growl again

So she's still an active kid having fun with running and your pocket is still a few hundred bucks thicker.  Sounds like it turned out rather nicely all around.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

atomno2

That it did,  That it did.

Not that I am fast but--

Okay, here we go. Focus. Speed. I am speed. One winner, forty-two losers. I eat losers for breakfast. Breakfast? Maybe I should have had breakfast? Brekkie could be good for me. No, no, no, focus. Speed. Faster than fast, quicker than quick. I am Lightning.” — Lightning McQueen

vegefrog

Growing up I speed skated and the lessons I learned from that are worth more than words can say.  While running not skating, is very similar because there is a training cycle.  It teaches self motivation, acceptance of defeat, joy of winning, how to work hard, ect.  It also keeps her active and off of the couch.

That's wonderful! My grandfather is a lifelong runner, and when I was around 9 or 10 I started running with him. I did 5K's and 10K's on weekends and those trips we took were so much fun. I feel I am so lucky to have those memories. Plus, now that I'm training for a marathon it gives me so much pleasure to involve him and let him give me training tips and tell me stories from his marathon days.

BTW I'm doing Myrtle Beach in Feb also! Smile Hope we don't get snowed out this year like they did last year!!