Garmin: Reinventing the Wheel (Read 1293 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Check out the pics and come on down! Big grin Oh. Yeah. And the monkey question.
    Len

Damn Yankee

Logistics should deter me this year, but I've already made up my mind that I want to run it, so I've started my "Monkey fund".
      I'm seriously considering running the Monkey this year mostly because - a. I've never run a marathon before b. the website discourages it as a first marathon c. it's pretty

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

the website discourages it as a first marathon
        If it is on the internet, it must be true. I hear that the first year's winner ran it as his first marathon. So you may survive. More importantly, do you like monkeys?
        Len

Damn Yankee

If it is on the internet, it must be true.
          Well I sorta assumed you wrote it, and you're a doctor, and doctors never lie.
          I hear that the first year's winner ran it as his first marathon.
          Jeff is faster than me, skinnier than me, and he's a philosopher, but I get your point.
          So you may survive.
          Only one way to find out.
          More importantly, do you like monkeys?
          Define- monkeys

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Monkeys, like philosopher Jeff, defy definition.
              I'm seriously considering running the Monkey this year mostly because - a. I've never run a marathon before b. the website discourages it as a first marathon c. it's pretty
              Good plan, Len. We're planning on heading up Monkey way this November also.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

So, what are we displaying in our Garmin fields, i.e., what have you find most useful? I just found out about the scrolling screens (manual: who'da thunk it'd be useful), but they seem too get small if you put too much stuff in. So, I plan to lose elevation (I imagine it "knows" the elevation and will download it later) and probably accuracy, and I need to figure which is the "best" pace to use. Thanks,

an amazing likeness

So, what are we displaying in our Garmin fields, i.e., what have you find most useful?
                  For the "Running" pages, on main 1: Average Pace (upper), Last lap pace (lower left), Distance (lower right). On main 2 display: Average Pace, Distance, last lap pace; time (upper left to lower right) I use auto-laps at 1 mile, so that is what is shown in the 'last lap pace' fields.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

A Saucy Wench

I have the 301 so I get to customize 1 screen with 3 things. I vary it sometimes for big races, but I usually have avg lap pace (along with auto lap at the mile) and total distance and sometimes current pace, sometimes something else. I dont have much faith in current pace but I keep it there as default.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I use SportTracks for the automatic mapping of the runs. It's fun to see from the air where I ran since the Garmin maps really suck, especially in my area where everything is new (less than 10 years old). Then I keep track of all the other things here because I like numbers and this site gives good numbers. I can't wait until we are able to link to the GPS part. That's exciting!
                      Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
                      kcam

For the "Running" pages, on main 1: Average Pace (upper), Last lap pace (lower left), Distance (lower right). On main 2 display: Average Pace, Distance, last lap pace; time (upper left to lower right) I use auto-laps at 1 mile, so that is what is shown in the 'last lap pace' fields.
                        Auto Lap at 1 mile for me as well. I have accuracy on main1 along with Pace, Distance, Time. Main2 has Pace, Distance, Time and LastLapPace. I usually watch the accuracy till it gets to below 30ft or so then I start my run and click over to main2. Once in a while I'll flip back to Main1 to check on accuracy. I've seen accuracy as high as 200ft but once it acquires enough satellites it generally reports 10 - 25ft.
                        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Page 1: Time, Average Pace, Distance Page 2: Lap Time, Lap Pace, Lap Distance Page 3: a revolving door of things including heart rate, time of day. If I'm doing intervals, I like having Last Lap and Last Lap Pace so I can review the previous interval during the rest cycle.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Thanks. Gonna set autolap for 1 mile. That'll be good.
                              Thanks. Gonna set autolap for 1 mile. That'll be good.
                              I really like the autolap 1 mile chirp that my Garmin gives me. It's almost like a mini cheer for each mile. Big grin

Michelle

Lia's Daddy

So My Garmin was waiting for me when I got home from work yesterday. I was excited to use it last night. As soon as my children were in bed I went out for my run. I've been really looking forward to the freedom it gives me to explore some of the neighborhoods around my house. So I went out for what I anticipated being a 5 mile run and ended up getting lost and running 7.5. So the moral of the story is that using a gps device may cause you to get lost. I felt like Michael from the The Office when he drove into the lake Embarrassed Actually, it is every bit as cool as I anticipated. I look forward to getting more familiar with it and learning what else it can do.
                                "Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen