Asic Hyper Speed 4 question from new person / lurker (Read 2229 times)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Hi.  I'm hoping that some one can recommend a shoe similar to the asic  hyper speed 4 but

with  a harder rubber tread for daily use on asphalt.    

I bought a pair of hyper speed 4's  in early January and really like them.   I didn't expect to get as

many miles out of them as my other shoes (nike pegasus and asic pulse) but also didn't expect to wear

the tread off in just over a hundred miles either.   Should have known betterBlush

Thanks.

steph  

Why is it sideways?

I am surprised that you wore the tread off in 100 miles.

I'm not sure any of these shoes would be better in terms of sole wear, but you could try the Brooks T6 or the Adidas Tempo. These are similar shoes. Saucony also makes some good lightweight road racers. Your best bet is to go to a specialty running store and ask for a minimal lightweight trainer or marathon racer.

Oh roo roooo!

Is there any chance it was your running form that caused the early wear?  I have a pair of Hyperspeeds (older model than yours) with 250 miles on them and they look fine still, very little wear.  I run almost exclusively on roads, too.  Maybe running in slippery conditions caused you to shuffle more or something?  I know winter conditions cause me to change my stride and have the sore spots to show for it....just a thought. 

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Thank you both.

Here is a photo (hopefully) after 100+ miles.  Usually it takes around 300 miles

to see just the start of wear in the same location.   

It must be my form / stride.  I don't know.   

steph  

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Hmm.  Photo didn't work.

steph  

mikeymike

Weird.

I've had a few pairs of the Hyper Speeds and on on of them the outsolsole of the forefoot started coming apart from the midsole after about 250 miles but I've never seen that.

Runners run

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Well maybe I should try another pair when these are done?  I do like them.

I bought these at Disney Expo so there isn't any taking them back.

Thanks again.

steph  

runwietecha

Mine are slowly losing their tread and I think they will look just like yours with a few hundred more miles on them.  The hyperspeeds are a lightweight, flexible shoe without a lot of heel-toe drop-off. I believe the Nike Lunar Racers aren't much different from them (not much weight difference and the same heel-toe drop but will have a spongier feel.) You may also like the Saucony Kinvara or Nike Free 3.0.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

They really aren't designed for hundreds of miles given the minimal structure and purpose.  But yours look pretty bad pretty fast.  I would write them and include a picture.  They, for quality control purposes, may be interested.

• Black Canyon 100k
                    • RRR
                    • Zane Grey 100k
                    • High Lonesome 100
                    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                    • The Bear 100
                    • Javelina Jundred (?)

I had about that level of wear just about dead center of my forefoot at about 250 miles.  I've only used them for indoor track since then, and I've got them up to 325 miles at the moment.  I only paid $62.00 for them, so the value for your running dollar isn't bad since it's a really nice flat.  Personally, I would hesitate to pay full retail because they really aren't built to last very long.

If you like the Asics fit, you might want to check out the Gel Tarther, it's also a neutral shoe and should give you more mileage before giving up.  They are currently under $70.00 on Running Warehouse, and with a team discount code you could knock the price down below $60.00 with shipping.

Not really a daily trainer (for most runners...) but falls somewhere between the Hyperspeed and a trainer.

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

A bit similar: I bought a pair of brooks st5 last week and am enjoying running in them. They're pretty light but have a bit more to them than a racing flat. I haven't had them long enough to know how well they wear....

Why is it sideways?

FWIW, I just checked my log, and I got 491 miles out of my hyperspeeds--sole wear wasn't the reason I retired them. In fact, I still use them for walking around.

I've never seen anything like the wear you put on them!!

MrH

it's hard to imagine a pair looking like that after 100 miles, especially given your light weight.

Do your other shoes get into this state, and if so after how many miles?

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Thank you all.

MrH -  My other shoes have shown that wear pattern after four hundred + miles.

Maybe not quite that bad. 

BadDawg - I did try the tarthers at the same time as i bought the

hyper speeds.  They seemed a bit narrow for me.

steph