Bolt blew it (Read 2037 times)

You're not running the 100 in the right place.

I probably raced more 100s on that turn (4x100) than I did on the straight (open 100).  Of course if I ended up in the pool, I probably would have been doing something wrong. 

Why is it sideways?

If you standardize the start delay, it is easier to guess the start, so there is higher potential reward for guessing -- trying to jump early, but not early enough to be DQ'd. In fact, one could practice this skill. Now that there is more reward for that, we may expect to see it more often, leading (possibly) to more false starts.

If I understood the preceding posts -- which is fairly questionable -- then the whole point of the randomized start delay was to combat this -- to reduce the reward for guessing the start, and therefore lower the incidence of false starts.

But hey, under my system no one would be guessing the start!!! That's what no one gets. Everyone would know exactly when it was coming.

Are there any musicians in the house? Or at least someone who has listened to music? Human beings can time things. We're pretty good at it.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I probably raced more 100s on that turn (4x100) than I did on the straight (open 100).  Of course if I ended up in the pool, I probably would have been doing something wrong. 

Oops. My mistake. But, I bet you weren't worried as much about reacting to the starter gun, when you were racing the 100 through the turn.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

4) This is also true of the current starting regime. Some sprinters will be better at timing the start, just as some are better at reacting to the gun. So, I don't see much merit in this counter-argument. 

2) This is also the case with my system. The start would be simultaneous and fair. Sorry, don't see the merit here either.

Sad

I'm not sure where the misunderstanding is, but people CAN'T get an advantage in the current system over someone with simply a fast reaction time.  Nobody can jump and start to respond before the gun because they will register before the 0.1ms reaction time and be DQ'd.  A fast starter will always be, at worst, on par with someone who tries to jump (and most who jump will simple be DQ'd).  In your system, it would be standard that people have to start to go early.  They do not all have the same starting time, they all get to choose when they are going to start to go so that they actually hit the pressure pad as close to the "gun" as possible.  But to do that they all have to start triggering this process early.  Some people will simply get lucky and have 0 or 0.001 reaction time and this lottery win will advantage them, rather than anything to do with their sprinting ability.  The enticement of this advantage will likely encourage slower sprinters to jump the gun....DQing often may be worth the occasional awesome start to them.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Why is it sideways?

My explaining muscle is giving out again.

But hey, under my system no one would be guessing the start!!! That's what no one gets. Everyone would know exactly when it was coming.

Are there any musicians in the house? Or at least someone who has listened to music? Human beings can time things. We're pretty good at it.

WE ARE ON TO YOU!

Runners run

Oops. My mistake. But, I bet you weren't worried as much about reacting to the starter gun, when you were racing the 100 through the turn.

Not to get too far off track (heh heh heh...) but the 4x100 start is on the same end as the water trap pool in the steeple.  Don't you run trackly stuff, you should know this.  ;-)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Explain lots.  Mostly slow.

Feeling the growl again

Well, I disagree, they would be guessing the start.  Timing is not a perfect science...it's guessing... and they are going to be trying to guess as close as possible.  Having known an amateur drag racer pretty well I've had long conversations about how they approach those starts.

One thing I will say that may help....the holding time by the starter....why not have them push a button when they say "set" and there is a fixed time period (whatever's reasonable...1sec, 3sec) and the starting equipment will fire the gun on a randomly selected delay within a fixed window. 

That delay is there, Jeff, because the IAAF has decided they don't want the type of guessing you are advocating.  However, I totally agree that some of the starter antics with the delay probably adds to the problem and if we make this a known, fixed (and relatively short) timeframe it will help things, even if it is variable within that timeframe.

I remember in HS we had a coach who was known for getting things going quickly.  You knew he'd not hold you long, as long as everybody set correctly....but it was still variable.  Now that I think about it, I don't think there were as many false starts under him as the guys who liked to hold everybody for like 5sec.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xor

You disagree that his explaining muscle is giving out!?

If the gun guys lose their jobs, can we use them to stand behind pitchers in baseball?  Or at least just try it in beta on Jonathan Papelbon?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

"run" "2" "eat"

drag racers are men in running skirts. right?

just trying to clarify terms.

sorry if this was posted earlier LEDLINCOLN but i am busy lapping the field.

yours aye -

r2e

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It sounds to me as if under your system, everyone is guessing the start -- trying to guess exactly when is the earliest millisecond they can start and not be DQ'd.

I'm not sure where musicians have incentive to try to guess timing as early as possible.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

drag racers are men in running skirts. right?

just trying to clarify terms.

sorry if this was posted earlier LEDLINCOLN but i am busy lapping the field.

yours aye -

r2e

Yeah, this thread took on such a life of its own, that I feel I'm running clockwise.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Not to get too far off track (heh heh heh...) but the 4x100 start is on the same end as the water trap pool in the steeple.  Don't you run trackly stuff, you should know this.  ;-)

I didn't know this. There's only one track near me with a steeple pit, and it doesn't appear to be on that turn.