dumb newbie marathon question (Read 791 times)

So pittsburgh is may 3rd, and my friend just told me that there is a 5/10k race in my town back home this saturday. She's doing it and wants me to do it...opinions? Smile That would leave me a whole week to get over either the 5 or 10k... thanks
    Slow Runner

You doing the 5 or 10K? Either way you will be fine....Go for it!!!!
        Thanks slow runner Smile I'm probably doing the 10k, I like that distance way better than 5k's heh.
        celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Thanks slow runner Smile I'm probably doing the 10k, I like that distance way better than 5k's heh.
          I assume you are doing the full--if its the half, ignore what I am about to say. I'm a beginner too, so also feel free to ignore. Think about how well you normally recover from races. This is the determining factor. If you think you can carefully taper and be fully rested for May 3, go for it. If you think you can hold back and "race" easy enough to be recovered, go for it. If not, think carefully before derailing the training for a 10k. Just my <$0.01 worth.>

Chris
          PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

I wouldn't do a race of any distance only a week before a marathon. A 5k two weeks out maybe...a 10k one week out, no.

I try to follow the "Nothing hard for 1 day following the race per mile length of race" so .... should be OK with 5K but 10K the after effects would be right up to marathon. In the grand scheme of things is the hometown race worth risking the training for marathon .... most would say not. If you really want to run 10K some would suggest run @ or below MP as a dress reherearsal (usually recommended 2 - 4 weeks out though) and not near 10K pace (ie - get to practice race day routine, what to wear, waterstops etc) but would have to run like 1st 6 miles of a marathon and not a 10K. If you do run the 5K dont go for PR .... maybe 90% and enjoy the day!

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Are you really "racing" it or just running it? If I were in your position, I would run it at marathon pace. It would be good practice at not going out too fast. What does your training plan call for that day? You could always add on distance by running a longer warmup or cooldown if needed.

Thank you for taking the time to read my signature!

I glanced at your log and it seems you're a little beat up from the 20 mile over the weekend. This was your note on 4/20 - "yesterday, just walking to school and all day my right leg was hurting like crazy. so i tried to run today. as soon as i started i knew it wasnt going to get better. decided to be done early and get off this leg. maybe i should just lay off till the marathon??" When you start naming courses 2 mls of radiating pain you should ease up. I don't think you should race. Take it easy and get ready for the marathon.
                    thanks guys. tooslow, you are SO right. after today's run, I realize there is no way I could race this weekend if I don't lay off a bit. My shin is not feeling too good right now. And there is no way I want to risk the marathon over a local race. Rick, I would be racing it, because I don't think I could handle just going out slow (people I know would be running it! Tongue ) heh. Another reason I am talking myself out of this...OK, you guys are awesome, thanks for the advice, I'm taking it definitely. Smile
                    xor

fistpump!

Dan, that was hilarious! hah! I think coming up negley is going to be the worst part. Southside - the best part, definitely. Dude, I'm pumped, I can't freakin wait!! hehe Big grin
                          Oh, I think the expo is going to be pretty sweet too. When are you going?
                            sometime saturday. not sure exactly when though. i'll let you know, or if you know, lemme know and i'll go then.
                              Yeah, sometime saturday...gotta meet with the landlady to get the keys to my new apartment (sweeeet!) at noon, but otherwise, any time morning or until like 5ish. Not sure, I want to meet up though!