My First Ice Bath (Read 818 times)

Kimmie

Can I call myself a real runner now? It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, after I got used to it. My legs feel great today but my back hurts, I think because I was tensing up and nervous about getting in. I will do it again, but I think I have to have DH there to force me to stay in those first 5 minutes.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You're tough! I did mine the easy way. Sat in the tub, then started filling it with cold water (we have a well and our tap water is SUPER cold). It hurts a bit less when the water you're sitting in is gradually getting deeper.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Pammie

Thats great Kimmie. I had one yesterday after my long run, didn't have the ice though just cold water. zoom-zoom - I used to do what you do. But one day i decided to go for it gives me a chance to make a cup of tea to take in with me then the water doesn't seem that bad
          you can call your self a real runner now. Smile I do jump right in a cold shower, had not thought about ice bath. Do you prep it before you go on the run?
          ud32

I tried the ice bath a few times after long run - I am a big fan of them now. Much more tolerable than a cold shower if that is possible. Bring a magazine or something in the tub - it distracts you!
            sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

Bring a magazine or something in the tub - it distracts you!
              Definitely bring something to read, it makes the self-torture go so much faster. I have the opposite situation as zoom-zoom: in the Summer in southern California the tapwater is nowhere close to cold, more like lukewarm. I've been dumping the entire contents of my icemaker into the tub, then throwing in 3 or 4 cooler ice packs just to get the water chilly. Now with winter approaching I should be able to start getting decent ice baths.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...

Can I call myself a real runner now? It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, after I got used to it. My legs feel great today but my back hurts, I think because I was tensing up and nervous about getting in. I will do it again, but I think I have to have DH there to force me to stay in those first 5 minutes.
                Isnt it standard protocal to post pictures when you take the first ice bath? Evil grin
                obsessor

For my money, I'll take a recovery bike ride, or a little run. Not interested in ice baths in the least.

The Greatest of All Time

Isnt it standard protocal to post pictures when you take the first ice bath? Evil grin
                    I did. I think that is the rule.
                    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                    Kimmie

ok, so I didn't know that was the rule... it's too late... you want pics of the next one? I'll have to think about it. Smile

uncontrollable

Congrats! I wear a hat & fleece. I still yelp when I first get in. I fill first, add ice, & sit down as quick as I can. The colder it is the quicker I'm numb & it doesn't bother me. I'd say after 90 seconds - I'm fine. I stay in about 10 minutes. Oh, and in the movie "Stick it" there is a great scene with the lead character in an ice bath. It's awesome.

peace