When do you put on running pants? (Read 1070 times)

bjoiner

I'm heading up to the mountains with some friends in a few weeks. The weather report said it expected temps in the 40s-60s (Probably closer to 40 as I want to get my runs in before people wake up) I've never been good at correlating numeric degree values with how cold it actually feels. For those of you who run in cooler weather, what in terms of clothing, does 40F mean to you? Thanks, Ben

Gotta TRI

I'm in shorts at 40F. DW is still in pants.
      2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
        It was about 40 when I went for my run today. For me, I like to wear capri tights under my shorts, just because I find that 40 is a bit cold for the legs. When it's above 40, I usually go with just my shorts. So, I would suggest running pants if its low 40s or below, but shorts if it's above 45ish. I'm guessing that it will probably be in your mid 30s in early morning, so I would suggest running pants. Have fun!

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

unless there is a hard wind or rain, my usual scale is 32F - long sleeve shirt comes off 40F - long pants come off

Best Present Ever

for me it would depend -- if it is really windy or damp, I might want something on my legs at 40. Otherwise shorts.
            xor

40 with serious wind, pants. 40 with a little wind or no wind, shorts. hot woman, no pants no shorts.

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

When there are women and children around. Modified to acknowledge Mr. Lopez beat me to the sans pants punchline. Props to my brother for the Evergreen State. (Spoken like a true 509er).

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

A Saucy Wench

It depends on the type of run. The harder the effort the lighter I dress. 40 and easy (2 shirts & pants) is a whole lot different than 40 and racing (tshirt & shorts). Also depends if it is dark or sunny I tend to wear them in warmer weather than most partially because I get so little heat acclimation opportunity as it is that I might as well wear pants and sleeves. Plus around here it is REALLY common for it to drop several degrees as the sun rises and once last year I started out comfortable in shorts and t for a long run and was so chilled when I got home that I couldnt straighten my arms. But that day I think it dropped 10 degrees with the sunrise and was killer windy.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Bugs

unless there is a hard wind or rain, my usual scale is 32F - long sleeve shirt comes off 40F - long pants come off
                    So 50F your either naked or running in your undies?

Bugs

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

...before I put on my shoes. After is really difficult. Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

hot woman, no pants no shorts.
                        Were all the women who have met srlopez just insulted?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Were all the women who have met srlopez just insulted?
                          Probably more like relieved. No one really wants to see a pantsless dude running around.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I wear tights below 8C (45F). I will wear a long sleeve shirt below 10C (50F), and a jacket around 0C - 5C (32F - 41F). Most likely I will just wear a windbreaker, but if it is below 0C (32F) I will wear a fleece and maybe a hat.

xor

Probably more like relieved. No one really wants to see a pantsless dude running around.
                              Exactly. I didn't say "ALL hot women, no pants no shorts". It is situation dependent. Besides, running that way hurts. All the RA women I've met are hot. Not all of the kickrunners women are hot. ha HA!

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

When it's above 40, I usually go with just my shorts. So, I would suggest running pants if its low 40s or below, but shorts if it's above 45ish.
                                +1

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!