Zoomy's 1st "I like to set the bar really low" Marathon Report (Read 1628 times)

De-slacking in progress

Congrats Zoom- just remember- you accomplished your GOAL- to run and FINISH a MARATHON- that's 26.2 freaking miles !!! I can't do that (yet) You are a inspiration to all us beginners. You gave us what what to look forward to the pain, suffering and the agony and the JOY of the accomplishment of a plan that was worked and equaled the end result. YOU CAN SAY YOU YOU RAN AND FINSIHED A MARANTON - TWENTY SIX POINT FREAKING MILES Big grin Big grin Big grin

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Woohoo! #1 is done. Sorry that things went ape banana wacky shit. The first one is always ALWAYS hard to gauge. Some stuff gets easier over time... and some things remain Heavy Mystery. Looking back, it is *possible* that your legs would have felt better by drinking more of the Endurance and/or taking electrolyte capsules... but really? You made the reasoned, reasonable call not to monkey with things on race day. Had you done it differently, you might not have had the issues you had. And you might have had some uglier ones. It will always be your first AND it sounds to me like you have some good memories and had some fun in there somewhere. You did a very hard thing. Be proud of that. Now that you've had a couple days to reflect, how do you feel?
      Yep. And I did start taking in the Gatorade Endurance during those last ugly miles (and thinking, damn, this stuff tastes pretty good...yep, I'm officially insane)...by about mile 25 the cramps were subsiding a bit and I had 0 GI issues from it, so next time I know that stuff is worth using. Plus I now know where to buy it for next year's training--a little running store 20 minutes from me carries it--who knew?! Smile But, yeah...I would have been in a bad way if I'd tried that stuff from the start of the race (having never before used it) and ended up puking. I HATE puking. I think maybe cramping is better than being nauseous while running, unless it's the end of the race when queasiness is to be expected. 2 days post-race...I am sore and still really tired (still not sleeping well, since every time I move in my sleep the owie muscles wake me up), but contemplating a little recovery jog tomorrow and starting to look forward to playing with some trail running in the next few months. I really have no regrets. Sure, the cramps thing sucked at the end, but I think I was better off than those who hit the wall at the same spot. I still felt strong and I felt angry (and really kinda bored--I missed having other runners to talk to. It was kinda spooky how quiet those last miles were). Anger is good. Hitting the wall would have meant not giving a rat's ass and I never felt that way. Anger made me want to fix what was wrong for next time and I was really pleased that everything else was good. I mean, who finishes a marathon with no blisters or chafing. I have no visible war wounds and my feet are still "pretty." Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Run the race God set B4U

Zoom, as expected I enjoyed reading your race report, you did awesome!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!
        5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)

Insert witty title here

You know, I'll bet bacon would sit well with me, too. I may seriously think about having some bacon in a baggie next time! Big grin
          I hope bacon works out better for you than it did for this guy: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,433863,00.html Big grin

ThomasRuns Blog
          Twitter

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do." - [Walter Bagehot]

JakeKnight

Well done, Zoomy. When's the next?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Well done, Zoomy. When's the next?
              Either Milwaukee or GR next Oct.--depending upon which weekend would have hubby in town. Though rvelich is trying to talk me into Columbus. If a bunch of RAers wanted to do that one I would be totally game, too. I'm really diggin' this destination race thing, especially when it means meeting peeps. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

I mean, who finishes a marathon with no blisters or chafing. I have no visible war wounds and my feet are still "pretty." Smile
                I finished 50 miles with only a couple of tiny blisters (wouldn't of even had them if I hadn't changed into too big Asics) Big grin

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Either Milwaukee or GR next Oct.--depending upon which weekend would have hubby in town. Though rvelich is trying to talk me into Columbus. If a bunch of RAers wanted to do that one I would be totally game, too. I'm really diggin' this destination race thing, especially when it means meeting peeps. Big grin
                  Oh Columbis is TEMPTING!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Congrats Zoom! The first time I got the cramping in a serious way in my thighs was The Air Force marathon in Dayton last year. I too felt so good, except every time to run I cramped severely. That was the toughest one from the standpoint that I was running so well and felt fresh except for the damn cramping. Columbus is a very well run race. It was my first one. It wasnt quite as flat as advertised. Long gradual uphill beginning at 14 or so. But theyve changed the course a bit. So it should be prime for a good time. Im doing it this year--really as a training run for my goal marathon of Vegas.

Lazy idiot

Though rvelich is trying to talk me into Columbus. If a bunch of RAers wanted to do that one I would be totally game, too. I'm really diggin' this destination race thing, especially when it means meeting peeps. Big grin
                      Oh Columbis is TEMPTING!
                      Rvelich is wise. Columbus is a good race. I can guarantee you a cheering section of at least 1.

Tick tock

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I finished 50 miles with only a couple of tiny blisters (wouldn't of even had them if I hadn't changed into too big Asics) Big grin
                        I tell ya', I thank jlynnbob every time I do a long run with BlisterShield and have NO blisters. Heck, I finished the race with dry feet...there was powder still between my toes. Ok, if a whole lot of folks do Columbus and it's a good weekend that will definitely be on my list. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

You did awesome hon, look at those obstacles you had to endure! Great job!
                          ~Liz, single mama to K, L & C Pain is nothing compared to what it feels like to quit.
                            We're all proud of you. Live it up!

- Anya

Yep. And I did start taking in the Gatorade Endurance during those last ugly miles (and thinking, damn, this stuff tastes pretty good...yep, I'm officially insane)...by about mile 25 the cramps were subsiding a bit and I had 0 GI issues from it, so next time I know that stuff is worth using. Plus I now know where to buy it for next year's training--a little running store 20 minutes from me carries it--who knew?! Smile But, yeah...I would have been in a bad way if I'd tried that stuff from the start of the race (having never before used it) and ended up puking. I HATE puking. I think maybe cramping is better than being nauseous while running, unless it's the end of the race when queasiness is to be expected.
                              So I am guessing you would recommend using it in chicago this weekend then and not just drinking water? I normally can handle anything when running food and drink wise. I sometimes get heartburn from gatorade if its mixed to strong, but not that bad compared to cramps. Great report and serious props!!
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So I am guessing you would recommend using it in chicago this weekend then and not just drinking water? I normally can handle anything when running food and drink wise. I sometimes get heartburn from gatorade if its mixed to strong, but not that bad compared to cramps. Great report and serious props!!
                                Thanks! You know, you could always carry a bottle with the Endurance to try, then if it messes with your gut you can switch back to the regular. Or was your race one of those that is automatically doing the Endurance stuff?

~ Sarah Kay