2018 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 554 times)

bhearn

2019 qualifying times have already been announced. Unchanged.

http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/participant-information/qualifying.aspx

xhristopher

In just six years I got an extra 15 minutes. The way I feel some days I think it almost makes sense.

Joann Y

2019 qualifying times have already been announced. Unchanged.

http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/participant-information/qualifying.aspx

Grate. I'll shoot for a BQ -17 this year and see if that is enough to get me in.

bhearn

RAer knifey is in... with a BQ-3:23.

Baboon

delicate flower

Bummer Babs...was rooting for ya' and know the feeling of the cutoff. I also know how far you've bounced back since that knee and that you'll just take it in stride and keep on keeping on.

Thanks, Bruce...disappointing for sure, but with Boston off the table I'll just focus on the the next race.  Now I won't be as undertrained on the bike as I was expecting to be for my June 3 half ironman.

<3

Baboon

delicate flower

That is pretty awesome.

<3

Joann Y

Thanks for the kind thoughts, FSBD, X, bhearn, npaden. I'm bummed out too. It's not the end of the world but still.

Joann Y

Wow!

rlopez

Wow, everything I had seen was predicting a lot lower cutoff time than last year.  At 3:23 I think people need to start shooting for 5:00 under whether Boston officially changes the number or not.

Sorry you missed it Joann, I thought you were in for sure.

I saw several references over the past two weeks to "the cutoff will be X" or "Y". This, of course, has happened in previous years too. I've never seen an accurate pre-prediction, and I often wonder... especially in facebook-land... like, how are people actually attempting to tea leaf this? In facebook-land, I'm pretty sure some of these are just pulled from someone's ass to see if they can get a bunch of likes and chatter.

But for the ones where people put some thought into it? I think the models need to be tweaked. Or just thrown out in favor of "yeah, we clearly don't have access to the right data to predict from"

xhristopher

Hell, even if they got it right their model could be complete bullshit. What’s that cliche about a stopped clock?? Basically you gotta run BQ-5. That’s the de facto BQ. Anything else is a gamble.

Kalsarikännit

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Missed it by 12 seconds.

Aw dammit.  I'm sorry (to everyone else that missed it too).

No one needs their effing Masshole Marathon anyways!  It reeks like four week old clam chowder!  Those guys in the Revolutionary War outfits you see around town didn't even fight in the Revolutionary War!  And what kind of name is "Beantown"?  It reminds me of lima beans!  Gross!  If I wanted to run a race in a land of non-English speakers, I would go to Rome.

You don't need them (but I hope you get in on your next attempt).

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

bhearn

I saw several references over the past two weeks to "the cutoff will be X" or "Y". This, of course, has happened in previous years too. I've never seen an accurate pre-prediction, and I often wonder... especially in facebook-land... like, how are people actually attempting to tea leaf this? In facebook-land, I'm pretty sure some of these are just pulled from someone's ass to see if they can get a bunch of likes and chatter.

But for the ones where people put some thought into it? I think the models need to be tweaked. Or just thrown out in favor of "yeah, we clearly don't have access to the right data to predict from"

In past years I think the input was how many entered with BQ-20, BQ-10, and BQ-5, which the BAA announced. This year, I wasn't paying attention. Another factor would be how many BQs were run this year compared to past years.

Yeah, however it was intuited, it wasn't intuited well, evidently. But my recollection is that when I was last paying attention, a few years ago, the reputable estimates were not far off. I think 3:23 surprised everyone this year.

No one needs their effing Masshole Marathon anyways!  It reeks like four week old clam chowder!  Those guys in the Revolutionary War outfits you see around town didn't even fight in the Revolutionary War!  And what kind of name is "Beantown"?  It reminds me of lima beans!  Gross!  If I wanted to run a race in a land of non-English speakers, I would go to Rome.

I agree with this.  LOL.

There are plenty of cool marathons out there OTHER than BOSTON!!!

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

dallison

registered pw

I was so freaking excited when i got my e-mail today. I ran a 3:10:38 where the standard time was 3:15. so i just barely made it. I may only run one, but this was my goal, to qualify for Boston and run it.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Joann Y

Thanks, WG. I think it may have been worth not getting in just to receive this hilarious little note. Smile