What caliber gun do you carry? (Read 1836 times)

Feeling the growl again

Also shots in the chest, back and buttocks probably means more than self defense. 

People tend to move quite rapidly once they are being shot at, and people afraid for their lives typically don't stop after each shot to gauge the effect.  If he fired 8 shots rapidly it is quite reasonable that at 1:30am he couldn't see very well after the first one due to the muzzle flash and was firing at a shape. That shape was probably moving.

Nice neat shots with handguns are for TV.  In real situations people, police included, are luck to hit their target anywhere, much less exactly where they want to.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xor

It may not add up, but a 45 is not a "hand cannon", that's quite a senationalization.  A 45 ACP is one of the most popular self defense calibers and a popular police caliber.  It has a measly 950 fps muzzle velocity.

A 44 Magnum is a hand cannon.

The only thing odd about a 45 is that most of them are quite heavy and would be the last thing I would carry on a jog.  A 38, .380 or 9mm would be about the largest options reasonably carryable with actually jogging.

Sorry for my poor use of terminology.  I was brought up by a father who worked military intelligence, and was taught guns by him... which is the sum knowledge I possess (which probably isn't good), because guns were never my 'thing'.  Anyway, his 45 was like carrying an iron (the clothes-pressing kind, not the golf kind) and he taught me that it had no range whatsoever but would stop the bad guy right there.  And it made my hands hurt like hell when I fired it. So I've called it a hand cannon since I was 12.  No "senationalization" intended.  It's a big fucker.

Anyway, as you've stated, it is an odd choice for running.  Especially with $950. At 1:30a.

See, good thing I am not on any jury,  jumping to conclusions and all.  

mikeymike

I have read various stories about this, and it is amazing what some news reports are offering up, and what others are not offering up.

The "jogger" was carrying $950.  In cash.  While "jogging" at 1:30a.  With a 45 (aka, a hand cannon).  This is in the police reports, it isn't made up.

So... accepting for a minute that it is completely normal to run with a big ass gun for protection, if you are running in an area that makes you think "I better carry my gun!" and if you are running in that area at 1:30a, perhaps because you don't have a choice... do you carry almost a grand in cash with you?

Probably not.

It doesn't add up.

Oh.  It also turns out that the dude who got shot had previously been in a fight with the "jogger's" brother.

But, yeah, "jogger" was just minding his own business.

It doesn't add up.

Turns out his "jogging suit" is a pair of Timberlands and a Miami Heat jersey to boot.

(Okay I made that part up but probably.)

Runners run

eazy erik

I would dual wield, so the weight would even out.  Carrying a .45 for a run would be cumbersome, but I could probably squeeze two Baretta M9s and a magazine pouch on my amphipod belt, but I would have to sacrifice a couple of bottles.   The 9mm has a little better range and a lot less spread than a .45, also.

The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials
            golddaveberg

Turns out his "jogging suit" is a pair of Timberlands and a Miami Heat jersey to boot.

Crack head drug dealing "jogger" would be a LeBron fan. 

Feeling the growl again

.  It's a big fucker.

Yes.  And I agree with you that this was unlikely a "jogger".  He was probably a runner.  A drug runner that is.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

isn't this where the fanny pack comes in handy?

I'm going to put a gun in a bag directly above my khring and then go for a jog?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

#artbydmcbride

Runners run

kcam

Hey, that's valid workout gear.  There's this one dude who comes into the gym I go to (it's a mamby-pamby, soccer mom / jogger 24Hr Fitness place) and he's wearing the full baggy Miami Heat uni shorts that end halfway between his ankles and knees and a Heat singlet jersey.  I almost fall off my elliptical laughing when I see him ('cuz we all wear full-on Golden State Warriors uni's at my gymRoll eyes).  He's not that young either - probably early 30's.

There's this one dude who comes into the gym I go to (it's a mamby-pamby, soccer mom / jogger 24Hr Fitness place) and he's wearing the full baggy Miami Heat uni shorts that end halfway between his ankles and knees and a Heat singlet jersey.

Honestly, that's no sillier than the guy I used to see on rides wearing full US Postal Service gear. Including the bike.

I quit carrying a gun when I realized just how often I didn't carry it because it was too heavy/uncomfortable/pain to secure/illegal to go there with it/etc. Decided my lifestyle probably didn't require one if it was that easy to leave home.

Imminent Catastrophe

Any runner should carry the following items:

- One forty-five caliber automatic
                              - Two boxes of ammunition
                              - Four days' concentrated emergency rations
                              - One drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine,
                                vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills
                              - One miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible
                              - One hundred dollars in rubles
                              - One hundred dollars in gold
                              - Nine packs of chewing gum
                              - One issue of prophylactics
                              - Three lipsticks
                              - Three pair of nylon stockings.

Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

I was going to avoid the whole gun-talk thread but couldn't resist asking:

How do you prevent chafing of your AK-47 sling on long runs?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

How do you prevent chafing of your AK-47 sling on long runs?

Run at port arms.