"What do you do the night before the race to get a good nights sleep." (Read 793 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

you should try to get a good night's sleep two nights before the race
    I completely agree.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Some other advice that I can give...Sleeping on an empty stomach or one that is really full can both lead to fitful sleep.
      I totally cannot sleep if I am hungry. Those people who go on and on about not eating after 6pm or whatever to lose weight are nuts. Calories are calories regardless of what time we eat them. I fal asleep better if my tummy isn't growling. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

on recommendation is to write down anything thats in your mind saying "you've got to remember this". once its on a piece of paper its out of your head and you can forget about it. must remember to send x to a client- write it down must remember to get x from the supermarket - write it down its amazing how many things float about in your head annoying you. i keep a single small notebook that goes everywhere with me and i write everything in. since starting doing it i can relax more thoroughly and i sleep much better. (oh and by the way i agree about the good nights sleep being more important 2 nights before a race)

Along for the Ride

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Along for the Ride

Socrates took his natural beverage on a recommendation. There is a cultural distrust / fear of science and pharma. I do no understand why. Regardless, an untested, nonstandardized nutraceutical that has a friend's recommendation at best may or may not help, and at worst may harm you. It may also cover up a serious and potentially life-threatening problem. Take insomnia, for example. There are lots of non-nutraceuticals that work fine, such as warm milk. This will not cover up anything. If your insomnia is due to depression (one of highest causes of death in this country, ahead of breast cancer I believe), warm milk will not help. Ambien requires a prescription, which in theory comes with a professional evaluation for your insomnia to make sure that it is not due to depression (yes, even if you do not feel depressed). This calme-forte may help you sleep, but does not come with a professional evaluation. So you go to sleep, remain depressed, and then one day go kill yourself. No. I do not exaggerate.
            Wow, wow - let's back off here a little bit. I am not afraid of pharma/science. I am a nurse and work in the pharma-industry. I am not depressed. I don't deal with insomnia all the time - ONLY on business trips. Especially now, since the job is still new to me. It is hard to drum up a cup of warm milk with honey in your Mariott room at 2am ... I went to my pharmacy and asked my pharmacist what to do in my specific situation. He recommended Calms forte to try. I personally feel better with something that makes me feel like my thought processes slow down in stressful situations and I can rest. Reading about Ambien and potentially halluzinations and people not remembering what they did ... studied or not; I don't feel like trying this. I hardly take anything at all (herbal and non-herbal) and every medication seems to be VERY effective with me. No, I am not a holistic herbal nutcase Wink Just a lightweight that can't sleep on the first couple nights of a business trip.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Socrates. How did he die? What killed him, I submit, was totally natural. If Ambien is not for you, why not try other tried and true, scientifically tested and safe medications? Benedryl? Elavil? How do you know Calme Forte is safe? Because a pharmacist suggested it? On what science is his/her recommendation based? And to my post, Wink . There is a lot of med fear out there. Folks simply refuse to take medications, vaccinations, etc, when there is massive evidence of their safety and effectiveness. Yet many of the same people will take a capsule of essence of cat corpuscle, or whatever, because it is in a pretty box or has the recommendation of somebody they trust. Folks won't take their flu shots, despite overwhelming evidence of their safety and effectiveness, but they snap up Airborn by the crate. Because it was "created by a teacher". What?

Along for the Ride

Yep. And many studies have found that many nutritionals are in fact harmful. I am not sure I understand why people who happily take such nutriceuticals (which are, in fact, drugs) but won't take medications that have been tested more rigorously. I understand that Big Pharma is out to make money and has a tendency to invent diseases. But at least there is some semblance of safety testing in place. And these nutriceuticals also exist so somebody can make a buck.
                Studies are no safety guarantee either - i.e. Vioxx was studied before it was used on the market and then recalled. Studies also tend to be influenced a lot by who pays the money for it. Not to say that there are not a lot of good, valid studies out there.

Along for the Ride

Socrates. How did he die? What killed him, I submit, was totally natural. If Ambien is not for you, why not try other tried and true, scientifically tested and safe medications? Benedryl? Elavil? How do you know Calme Forte is safe? Because a pharmacist suggested it? On what science is his/her recommendation based?
                  If I never had this problem and a pharmacist recommends Calms forte to me and it works the few times I need it - why would I keep trying different medications? You as a doc probably know best on what science his recommendation is based?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Studies are no safety guarantee either...influenced a lot by who pays the money for it.
                    Amen. But a rigorous study with FDA oversight is far more likely to come up with answers than what my neighbor thought when taking something. Sure, Merck hid a major problem and that is criminal. But because of rigorous testing, the data existed to find the problem once an objective researcher went looking.
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

why would I keep trying different medications?
                      How do you know you are not poisoning yourself. CF contains: Passiflora 1X | Triple Strength HPUS Avena Sativa 1X | Double Strength HPUS Humulus Lupulus 1X | Double Strength HPUS Chamomilla 2X | HPUS While the chamomile and the passionfruit flower are likely sleep inducers (called hypnotics), lupine and sativus are toxins. The sativus is also a source of some fairly heavy chemotherapies. In high doses these two can kill.
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

And I still like pRED's suggestion best, even though there is no science to support it Big grin Evil grin

Along for the Ride

How do you know you are not poisoning yourself. CF contains: Passiflora 1X | Triple Strength HPUS Avena Sativa 1X | Double Strength HPUS Humulus Lupulus 1X | Double Strength HPUS Chamomilla 2X | HPUS While the chamomile and the passionfruit flower are likely sleep inducers (called hypnotics), lupine and sativus are toxins. The sativus is also a source of some fairly heavy chemotherapies. In high doses these two can kill.
                          If I get poisoned I will leave a note for my husband to sue the pharmacist. Smile I bet if I take high doses of Benadryl or Ambien, I get killed too. Trent - you are "arguing" with a german here. They are stubborn ... Yes I totally get your point. But I also think we are all entitled to our own opinion. Right? *sticks to her opinion in a stubborn german way*

Along for the Ride

And I still like pRED's suggestion best, even though there is no science to support it Big grin Evil grin
                            I had to re-read PRED's suggestion. Agreed ... *throws Calms Forte away*. Evil grin

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What kind of freaks me out is the people who give their babies a teething aid that contains Belladonna...aka DEADLY Nightshade. Hello?! That's some potentially toxic stuff. We had a Nightshade plant growing next to our house as kids. My parents always stressed how dangerous the berries of that plant were. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

RG. Actually, I think we are not arguing Wink I think we mostly agree. Cool I think we both take knowledge with a grain of salt, whether it be big pharma science or nutriceutical info from our neighbor. I only express concern that, as a society, we seem much more comfortable taking pills based on beliefs than based on science. Plus scientific tells us what is a high dose of benedryl, but for CF is it all guesswork. ZZ. You do know that belladonna is closely related to tomatoes and potatoes don't you...