Distance Mismatch with MapMyRun (Read 746 times)

running yogi

When I map the same run RA gives me 6.01 miles, where as mapmyrun shows 7.8 miles. Who is right ?

This is a difference of almost 2 miles !

When I map the same run RA gives me 6.01 miles, where as mapmyrun shows 7.8 miles. Who is right ?

This is a difference of almost 2 miles !

Not a lot of info to go on there?  Can you show us the two courses mapped out?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

When you say "RA", do you mean a map you made on RA or a route you uploaded to RA from your GPS?
        mikeymike

I suspect user error.

Runners run

ymmv

Maybe you only get accurate distances on MapMyRun when you "UPGRADE to their freakin PREMIUM SERVICE!"

I will never know....

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

If you're tallking about a course you mapped out manually (mouse-ually?), I would redraw the mapmyrun course (since it's longer).  It's very easy to accidentally double back and cover a course twice, and if there are any loops in the course you may have mapped them more times than you intended to.  If it's a course you're uploading from your Garmin or other GPS, well, I got nuthin'.

Keep an eye on over/underpasses on your route, as well - sometimes I'll click on an overpass when I want the road under it, and the map software will take me up and down the on and off ramps and cloverleafs to get to the other side.  It's easy to spot in closeup, but on a long route (and zoomed out) you may miss it.

running yogi

I used the RA mapping tool to measure the distance I ran. I don't own a GPS :-( maybe I shud

Let me try to upload the two maps to show you guys...

running yogi

Maybe you only get accurate distances on MapMyRun when you "UPGRADE to their freakin PREMIUM SERVICE!"

I will never know....

I think you maybe right. I mapped the distance 3 times on mapmyrun and got 3 very different results ranging between 6 and 8 miles.

With the RA mapping tool however, my results were consistent and well within the 'mouse-al' errors.

I think it's time to get me a GPS for Christmas...

eric :)

As far as I know, RA is working correctly.  I can create maps of known routes to within +/- 0.02 miles.  I can't vouch the same for another site although the geeky side of me want to know the cause of the discrepancy so if you can provide a link to an MMR map with inconsistent distance, I would be happy to investigate further.