Realistic Goals (Read 576 times)

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Hi folks. Im seeking some advice on goals for next year. After a summer where I surpassed my expectations recording 38:45 in a 10k, i want to set myself something realistic for next summer. My goal for this year was a sub 40 10k and I acieved this on about 20-25 miles aweek built up over 12months. I am presently doing 30-35 miles a week and think i could possibly build this to 40 over 4 days. I dont think I could find the time for much more. Should I be thinking sub 36 are am I dreaming. (If you check my log - yes, i am going too fast in training and i will slow down! By the way - I used to post as Banana Man. I know its poor etiquette but there was avalid reason- Sorry!)

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

I think you should set a goal for how much training you can fit in. Then, on race day, surprise yourself.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I think sub 36 is attainable. A bigger leap from 38:45 than you might think, but definitely do-able. Consult McMillan's or Daniels VDOT to get a decent idea for the paces prescribed by your 38:45. Agree that you're running too fast. Also, too infrequently. I know time is a constraint, but try to get in 5 days a weeks if you can. I notice a lot of "tempo" runs in your log recently. But frankly speaking, they're too slow for someone of your speed to be true tempo runs and too fast to be easy runs. For example, McMillan has you doing the following: Tempo: 6:19~6:35 (based on 20 minute tempo section) Steady State: 6:35~6:47 Easy: 7:27~7:57 Long: 7:27~8:27 My opinion: try to get at least 40 miles per week (over 5 days if you can). Do your easy runs slower. In fact, I think there is now upper limit on easy run pace -- go as slow as you need to recover. And you will need to do harder, shorter tempo runs if you want to drop 2:45 off your 10k time.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

I notice a lot of "tempo" runs in your log recently. But frankly speaking, they're too slow for someone of your speed to be true tempo runs and too fast to be easy runs. For example, McMillan has you doing the following: Tempo: 6:19~6:35 (based on 20 minute tempo section) Steady State: 6:35~6:47 Easy: 7:27~7:57 Long: 7:27~8:27 My opinion: try to get at least 40 miles per week (over 5 days if you can). Do your easy runs slower. In fact, I think there is now upper limit on easy run pace -- go as slow as you need to recover. And you will need to do harder, shorter tempo runs if you want to drop 2:45 off your 10k time.
          Im new to both these training tables although I have looked at Daniels. I sort of based my "tempo" heading on the moderate to high aerobic section in Daniels although I dont fully understand how much or how little of these differnt runs I should be doing. McMillian seems a bit easier for unsderstanding paces etc but again- how much of each. After next week I wont be doing any more races until april '09. Should I be doing any Tempo" runs at all or just building mileage and then some fasterstuff a couple of months before. Cheers

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

I think you should set a goal for how much training you can fit in. Then, on race day, surprise yourself.
            Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. You can talk strategy all you want and its awful fun to do.....but when I look at my calendar and see I ran a personal best 57 miles 2 weeks before my PR of 19:36 (a best by 27 seconds) it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that mileage makes you faster. My 20:03 PR before that came after a 56 mile week. Miles are hard work..true thats why I have dopped below 20 mpw in August. You need to pick a race you want to do well in then set aside several weeks to months ahead of the race to run more miles than you ever ran before.
              1.) Run slower on easy days. 2.) Do more variation on your tempo days - read about short tempos, long tempos, etc. 3.) One long run per week. (At minimum every OTHER week.) I think it's kind of hard to predict your ceiling, simply because it doesn't look like you've really executed on a plan, start to finish - with a build, taper, etc.. My suspicion - given the lack of speed training - is that you have significant gains yet to realize. For the most part, though, I'd do easy aerobic and some tempos over the fall and winter, adding in speed training 12 or so weeks prior to your goal race.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.