2011 Goal of Sub-3:00 Marathon (Read 8006 times)

The shirtless wonder

I'll be aiming for an 18min improvement - 10%.  I expect most people will say thats silly.  Thats ok - in fact I'd probably agree with them.  So maybe it will happen in 2011, maybe not.  It wont stop me trying.

In my most recent marathon (October) I improved by 28mins - just over 14%.  The one before that I improved by 48mins - just over 21%

It's not silly.  Of course it gets harder as you get faster but I had a 26 minute improvement, then a 21 minute improvement, and then a 19 minute improvement.  For my next goal marathon I'm just hoping for any improvement!

I'm too lazy to compute percentages.

It's not silly.  Of course it gets harder as you get faster but I had a 26 minute improvement, then a 21 minute improvement, and then a 19 minute improvement.  For my next goal marathon I'm just hoping for any improvement!

I'm too lazy to compute percentages.

I agree. Definitely not silly, but sure, it gets more difficult to knock large percentages off your time as you improve. That said, the goals we set for ourselves are often as much limits as they are goals. Go get it, Mandy!

bhearn

One interesting thing would be to know what kind of percentage improvement on PRs this goal represents for people. I guess some people are going to being wildly, even unrealistically, optimistic in setting goals - others will be pretty conservative.

An interesting goal would be: improve marathon PR by, say, 5%; which might be a realistic goal for most, but for the really fast people gets hard. 

For those fast enough to qualify or Boston, 5% is already a pretty big number. I'd think about 1% would be a respectable PR. That's still almost 2 minutes, in the 3-hour range.

For me, I'll be happy with a .01% improvement. Big grin I just want my 2nd sub-3.

joescott

I heard that.  I'd actually be thrilled with just 57 fewer seconds.  (But of course I'll take a big chunk, too, if I can do it).  

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

I heard that.  I'd actually be thrilled with just 57 fewer seconds.  (But of course I'll take a big chunk, too, if I can do it).  

I am with ya on that one. I would be thrilled with a 25 second improvement on my PR. But I will be happy with anything sub-3 at Boston.

Good luck to Mandy.  I'm going to have to log stalk you now to keep an eye on how your doing.  Best of luck in your training. 

Thanks BCR!  Luckily the intention is not to run a marathon until fairly late in 2011 - my boyfriend is planning on running New York so its most likely to be there, although I may try a smaller, flatter New Zealand one a few weeks before that depending on how it is going. 

Since starting training properly again (3 weeks ago) I've just been building base.  There'll be lots of that coming up....

5% is what I need as well. It may be a stretch but thats what I am aiming for. Have had several good weeks of recovery. Just starting to build mileage back up. Hope everyone is running well. 

JenMehle

Hey guys!

I'll toss myself into this thread.  I'll be racing Boston, but I'm not sure that I'll be in shape to make a serious stab at it there, I've been injured.  Fall may be a better option for me.  I'll have to see what happens to me fitness wise over the next couple of months and how the body holds up.

I've working with a 3:06 and 3:07 from last year.

Hey guys!

I'll toss myself into this thread.  I'll be racing Boston, but I'm not sure that I'll be in shape to make a serious stab at it there, I've been injured.  Fall may be a better option for me.  I'll have to see what happens to me fitness wise over the next couple of months and how the body holds up.

Not sure if that's a "put me on the list" or not. Smile

Either way, welcome!  And I hope your injuries clear up.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

DoppleBock

Sounded like a definate committment to me 

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

JenMehle

If I'm up there, healthy and in shape, I'll be going for it.  I have an insane amount of work to do to get my fitness back, though, I haven't done much since May.

If I'm not in shape at that point I may just run it as a long run and aim for something else, perhaps Grandma's.  I also plan on a cold race in the late fall like CIM or NYCM.

Are we there yet?

Hey guys!

There is a big boston group here and we are looking drop the hammer in beantown!! Dominate.. plenty of time to get fit and do it.

Who will be King of the Mtn?? & Queen of the Mountain??

Inside of 18 weeks.. training is going solid. Longest injury free streak of higher mileage in my life.. knock on wood. Looking to drop a sub 1:20 HM on 1/15.. thats right, I'll put it out there even with a BAC of 0.0% currently.

nice training there chaka. With a 1:20 half you should be sitting pretty come boston!

Inside of 18 weeks...

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Are we there yet?

nice training there chaka. With a 1:20 half you should be sitting pretty come boston!

Thanks but depends on the goal.. while I realize tis a sub3 Forum.. joescott and I have an outside wager to go sub 2:50.. alla MikeyMike