2011 Goal of Sub-3:00 Marathon (Read 8006 times)

DoppleBock

When I ran big mileage I just took a couple of easy days -

2 days out 10-12 in am / 5 pm

day before 8 in am / 5 in pm

But if I really cared I would have

8/5 - 2 days out

5 -  1 day out

I'm just completing my run to work and run home week this week.  13.5 miles each way with a 14 and an 11 book-ending these runs will give me 160 for the week.  I may just do 12 tomorrow 'cause I love palindromes.   

Ugh, legs are heavy, but I'm not as sore as I thought I'd be.  Eating a lot though and still down 5 lbs.  Any advice on recovery for next week with a 10K that I'd like to race on Saturday?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Go DB!

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Looks like Dopple Bock felt better than he thought!

2:55:45 for his chip time.  Nice job DB!

Looks like Dopple Bock felt better than he thought!

2:55:45 for his chip time.  Nice job DB!

And he was running as Mikey The Pig instead of Dopple Bock this year, nicely done!

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

nice one DB!!!

SNAFU

Sunday 6/12 was a boating / camp fire - Drinking type of day - Scored 6 miles running and 16 beers. 

But still going to give it what I have Saturday.  I predict either a 2:58 or a 3:18

2:55!  Way to go, you morbidly obese sandbagger!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

DoppleBock

Not sand bagging - There was a better chance I would end up on the wrong side of 3 hours if it were a dead calm day.  But we had perfect weather + a 10 MPH mostly tailwind for 25 miles and then a head wind for the last mile.

Basically, just like Milwaukee last fall - I stole another one - Someone should lock me up as I am making it a habbit.

No negative split in the last 10k, but a negatibe split for 1st half last half.

10K = 41:25

1st 1/2 1:28:00

2nd half 1:27:45

Last 10k = 41:42

I ran well - But I could not take it to the usual pain level the last 2 miles, I really wanted a new number (2:54) but now I have 2 at 2:55.

Post race was a blast as usual

Almost everyone that I spoke with exceeded their goals - A lot of PRs out there.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Nice work DB. I would be lucky to go under 3:30 at the moment. I have always believed that it is the mark of a true champion that they can win when under prepared, or on an off day.

DoppleBock

I was very happy with my execution

Mile #1 - Usually I run what I think is MP and run too fast - I actually ran mile # 1 in 7:05 (6:59 gun) so I lost 20 seconds running relaxed.  after that I brought pace in line and just ran to the course - One of those days where I missed many splits, I was just working.

By mile # 10 I settled in with a pack of 4 - They were 3-5 seconds faster than I was and so I got to run uncomfortably hard (Perfect).  On 3 occassions they had gapped me by 20 - 40 feet and I had to HTFU and close the gap up quickly, because once they would have been gone, I would have slowed a bit.

We broke up @ mile 20 - 2 had went ahead and the 2 I was working with were happy to settle in behind someone who was running slower.

Last 3 miles I failed to take it to the highest pain plateau or I would have went out and attacked the 2 that were about 1/8-1/4 mile ahead.  Still I did not die, I just didn't take it to that dizzy, tunnel vision - max pain - S&M goodness level.

22 6:39

23 6:40

24 6:47

25 & 26 was a 13:29

.2 = 1:19

If I had been tougher it would have been

24 6:35

25 & 26 12:55

.2 = 1:10

So between mile #1 and being a little soft at the end - About 1 mile of potential left on the course.  My splits between 10k-13.1 were a little soft also (Pre picking up my wrecking crew) - So maybe another 30 seconds.

But if I can run a marathon and think I left 1-2 minutes total from perfection on the course - A good day indeed.

Awesome as usual DB!  Sorry you missed the 2:54 for a different marathon number, but still, 2:55 isn't a bad number to repeat!

DoppleBock

Thanks - I am happy with the execution

I really do not think I could hit shorter race times from a Vo2 max calculator - Unlikely I will find out.

HermosaBoy

GREAT running DB!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

DoppleBock

I saw your kids name in the 1/2 results - Nice race 

With weather like we had - I may run it again in 2012 ... As long has I have taken care of business.

GREAT running DB!

HermosaBoy

I saw your kids name in the 1/2 results - Nice race 

Thanks!

We all ran it more as a workout and had a BLAST. 

Check out the battle between me and my son at the finish for the 1/2.

Funny, I pace the kid for 13 miles, slow-down when he lagged a bit and then he outkicks me at the finish.  That ain't right!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

DoppleBock

Definately the fastest thing out their @ your finish time

That's why veterans like us take to our finishing kick earlier if we are serious - You know like at 1 mile to go.