"I did a marathon cold. It was easy." (Read 1578 times)

you can assume that their time sucked. She is most likely a person with good general fitness, at least relative to the average person, but I'd bet a dollar she spent more than 5 1/2 hours out there on that course.
    I think that if anyone finishes the dang distance, nothing about it sucks. Anyone can run for 2-3 hours...being on your feet for 5-6 takes strength, endurance and guts. Just sayin'.
    "If you run 100 miles a week, you can eat anything you want - Why? Because (a) you'll burn all the calories you consume, (b) you deserve it, and (c) you'll be injured soon and back on a restricted diet anyway." ~ Don Kardong
      I think that if anyone finishes the dang distance, nothing about it sucks. Anyone can run for 2-3 hours...being on your feet for 5-6 takes strength, endurance and guts. Just sayin'.
      This is absolutely true Wink
      Carps10

being on your feet for 5-6 takes strength, endurance and guts.
        In that case, the cashier at my local drugstore is a world class athlete. She is on her feet for 8 HOURS A DAY, 5 DAYS A WEEK Shocked
        Carps10

Anyone can run for 2-3 hours..
          Yes, ANYONE can run for 2-3 hours.
            thats bad carps..... Dead

Champions are made when no one is watching

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Anytime someone brags about doing a marathon but doesn't mention their time, you can assume that their time sucked.
              I think that is kind of a foolish assumption. I know that I avoid mentioning my time if I know I'm faster than the people I'm talking to, because my objective is to compete against the clock, and I hope theirs is too, and I have no desire to invite comparison. OTOH, if I know they're faster than I, then I go ahead and give the time, b/c I know it won't make them feel slow -- I bet lots of other people feel the same way, because I'm a fairly average human being... Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Carps10

I think that is kind of a foolish assumption. I know that I avoid mentioning my time if I know I'm faster than the people I'm talking to, because my objective is to compete against the clock, and I hope theirs is too, and I have no desire to invite comparison. OTOH, if I know they're faster than I, then I go ahead and give the time, b/c I know it won't make them feel slow -- I bet lots of other people feel the same way, because I'm a fairly average human being... Smile
                it's not a foolish assumption when the person ran the marathon cold...and I'm talking about people who BRAG about finishing the marathon but don't mention a time. you don't always mention your time, but OTOH, you also don't sound like the kind of person to brag about finishing or to brag about running in any way
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I think that is kind of a foolish assumption. I know that I avoid mentioning my time if I know I'm faster than the people I'm talking to
                  +1
                    In that case, the cashier at my local drugstore is a world class athlete. She is on her feet for 8 HOURS A DAY, 5 DAYS A WEEK Shocked
                    Way to take that tooooo literal.
                    "If you run 100 miles a week, you can eat anything you want - Why? Because (a) you'll burn all the calories you consume, (b) you deserve it, and (c) you'll be injured soon and back on a restricted diet anyway." ~ Don Kardong
                    Carps10

Way to take that tooooo literal.
                      You see, there are these things called ADVERBS. They're really neat!

Lazy idiot

What's an adverb, and where can I get one?

Tick tock

Right on Hereford...

"I did a marathon cold." As others have said, the above happens a lot, and isn't surprising in itself. "It was easy." Now we know she was telling a big fat lie! Case in point... My girlfriend and I went out to Steamboat Springs, CO to hang out with our friends, who were doing the Steamboat Marathon. The day before the race, one of them decided to bail, and asked if anyone wanted her race entry. DG said, "I'll do it!" despite the fact that she had not been training for a marathon at all, and had never even run a marathon before. She finished in 4:24, but it was the most painful thing she had ever done in her life.
                          obsessor

it's not a foolish assumption when the person ran the marathon cold...and I'm talking about people who BRAG about finishing the marathon but don't mention a time. you don't always mention your time, but OTOH, you also don't sound like the kind of person to brag about finishing or to brag about running in any way
                            Sometimes talking about your times can be foolish. In fact, most of the time it comes out to be foolish. People may seem to be bragging, but maybe they are just happy about it. I know that when I finish, and in the 2 hours before I'm finished, I just want to finish. Get it over with. When people ask, I say, "Yeah, I ran it, I finished." If they press, I give more information. Here's a little story. I know a local couple here. The husband coached me for some time - that's how I know 'em. The gal is an olympian. She ran the local marathon, and won it. She ran Grandma's, and won it twice. Her husband won each of them once. She's a world record holder. He is a former world record holder, and has two AR's (for long distance running) that I know of that are still standing. Let's not talk about age group awards here. They have 6 children. That will give some in the know a clue. Anyhow, this couple are ~50 yrs old or so; they may not appear like world class athletes anymore only because of the age thing. At a dinner at a freinds house, the neigbor was invited for a little get together. Many of the people were runners. The host had run marathons in the 4:30 to 3:40 range. He ran one a year, sometimes two, for fun and on little training. The host's neighbor had just run Grandma's and was feeling pretty good about his time, just under 4 hours. He's the new expert on training and everything, you see. Handing out advice like candy. Of course, my coach was slightly amused, but kept out of it. At one point, though, the new expert was going over the top in his excitement of the new sport, and Coach just kind of turned his head and refuted the whole conversation with a simple. "No." "What?! What do you know about it, have you ever run a marathon?" "Well, yes, I've run a marathon before." "Did you ever run Grandma's though? That's a real tough one." "I guess it was a while ago, in the 70's and 80's." "Yeah, but did you finish it under 4 hours?" "I did. You might say I did. I won it once. My wife won it twice." "No way, you have to run like, 2:15 to win that or something." "Yup. Or something." The guy was mortified, embarrassed, and ... you know, felt completely humiliated. Assume what you want to about people.
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

C'mon Obsessor. You are being too hard. Grandma's is not a real tough one. Wink
                              obsessor

C'mon Obsessor. You are being too hard. Grandma's is not a real tough one. Wink
                                Nah, that's what this yay-who said. I say Grandma's is easy. I was not the one who did (that particular) piece of bragging. Grandma's has a just about optimal course. Easy running gentle rollers and a little bump at 22 miles, then all down hill and 3-deep crowd from there to the finish. Twin Cities Marathon I hate. Hate, hate, hate. But they have a fast last 1/3 mile.