Now with Linux Support! (Read 3066 times)

Yes! That is right, there is now a Garmin Plugin for Linux and it supports RunningAhead!

I have only tested it with Firefox at the moment. If I could just get a proper user agent switcher for Chrome I bet it would work.

EDIT: This only works for non-ANT Garmins.

Here are the instructions for a system that is similar to Ubuntu 9.10 or newer and running Firefox 3.6.10

In terminal type

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:andreas-diesner/garminplugin

Once that is complete now type

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install garminplugin

In Firefox install User Agent Switcher and add the following user agent

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10

You can install it the easy way by using this file, and going to

tools>default user agent>edit user agent>import

and select the downloaded file.

Now that you have the user agent switcher install, you will need to switch to the new user agent, which can be found under tools. Just switch from default user agent to your new user agent. 

From here go to the Garmin Website and install the Garmin Communicator plugin. Make sure you have the user agent switched to the Garmin Fake User Agent. You may need to restart your browser at this point, so go ahead and restart the browser. Once you have the browser back up and running, switch your user agent to the fake garmin and go back to the garmin test page. If it says everything is fine you are up and running. Obviously, you need your garmin connected at this point. Now browse to runningahead.com and upload your data!

eric :)

I'm not sure if Garmin allows me to modify their javascripts.  If so, I can remove the OS validation so you can skip the User Agent step.  Thoughts?

I would love that! Then it may be easier to get Chrome to work.

Currently, I am able to get Chrome to recognize the plugin, but RunningAhead doesn't seem to recognize that the plugin is installed. Not exactly, sure why. Currently, with FireFox it no longer seems to need the UserAgent Switcher. Do you already implement that? That was fast if you did.

eric :)

I modified the javascript to allow for Linux and FF.  You should not need the agent switcher anymore.

Thank you. Now I need to figure out how to get it to work with Chrome.

Patzer

This is the greatest thing since shoelaces.

Current goal: an Olympic distance triathlon. Did two of them! New goal: a half-ironman?? Did that too. New goal: I'll have to get back to you.

krull_etc

Is there an ANT agent for linux?  i'm using Ubuntu 10.10 and Firefox 3.6.11.  I followed the posted steps and get the green light at the Garmin test page (with the user agent switched to the fake one), and the RunningAhead upload page comes up with my Home Directory as the device.  I'm assuming I need to do something else to actually download the data from the watch to the PC.  In Windows, the Garmin uploads to my PC automatically, and then when i visit RunningAhead, I have to make sure the correct device's name is selected in the drop-down menu of RunningAHead.

Sorry, I don't know much about how to get the ANT agent to work properly.

EDIT: This plugin only supports the non-ANT Garmins.

Ruler of one

Yes! That is right, there is now a Garmin Plugin for Linux and it supports RunningAhead!

It's teasing me, all steps followed and communication is happening RA reports 90% scanned and my 305 gives a couple of transfer complete messages and that is all. RA sits at 90% scanned. Got any debug tips. This is the last thing keeping the 20th century winbox on my desk.

Ruler of one

Shutdown reboot Smile Looking good Smile

Goodbye Windoze!!!!

Most of the time that things are not working I either refresh the browser or I close the browser and reopen it. However, sometimes it seems as though I have to switch which usb port the Garmin is plugged into. So if you are having issues, try all of those.

Ruler of one

Running into a little trouble now, a few days ago the upload page found no connection. I've shut down and restarted everything and have confirmed the device connection with GPSBabel (used the GPX for my last run). Has anything changed at RA?

Ruler of one

Errr... it is working again. Smile

Two Feet Under

Thanks lvleph for tracking down the plugin and figuring out how to use it here. And eric for the site and getting rid of the need for useragent spoofing. And Andreas Diesner for the plugin. It's working seamlessly (Ubuntu 10.04, Firefox (Swiftfox) 3.6.12, Forerunner 305).Two steps: install plugin as lvleph described and hook up your watch.

I played around with GPSBabel but couldn't get it to read all the data I wanted off my new 305 so I was worried that I'd have to break down and set up a dual boot or virtual machine but this is everything I'd need. Thanks again.