Yes, run more, run easy. (Read 1392 times)

All that someone can do in a message board thread is lay out an ideal. The fact that the training ideal is not possible with the life that you live is no argument against the best way to train.

The greatest challenge of training for the quixotically committed runner is organizing the rest of life such that his or her training can most closely approximate the ideal. For those of us who enjoy it, the training is easy; it's fitting it among other enjoyable and less enjoyable priorities that can be hard.

I think running is a great sport because you can get pretty close to maxing out your performance on 10 hours a week of training. Try that in cycling or swimming...the time commitments there are almost double.

Yes. And getting those 10 hours is largely a matter of your schedule, not that of, e.g., a tennis partner or nine other hoops players.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

xhristopher

Ten hrs a week really isn't that much time either. Well, until you look at the fact that each workout takes longer than the time it takes to run. An hour run takes me about an hour an 30 minutes.

Takes me less than half that. Regardless, most people (without pools) can't go for a swim right out their front door. Taking my son to weekly swim lessons easily requires more time than my long run! When I mountain bike driving is usually involved, oftentimes some maintenance too. I think Jeff is right about running's bang for the buck. I know for a fact that, if I want to be happy with how I'm racing, 10 hours of cycling per week doesn't get me nearly as far along as 10 hours of running.

xor

That's the problem I have with trail running.  Western Washington gives me access to some of the best trails ever... 12 months a year in the lowlands, 4-6 months higher up, 2 months way up top.  Which is amazing in theory.  In practice, I gotta drive 1-4 hours each way to get in those pretty, tough miles.

(and no, can't really do the Dean K thing and run out TO the trails easily.  Running down the side of I-90 or I-5 is not compatible with a long life, and there aren't alternate routes to lots of this stuff.  Plus I don't wanna run 50-100-200 miles every day)

((even if I do stop for pizza and/or a hostess lemon pie in the middle))

xhristopher

Does it work? Whatever you’re doing now either is or isn’t improving your times (or getting you to your goals). If it is, and you’re satisfied with the improvement, then keep doing it. If it isn’t or you’re dissatisfied, try something else, if you can.

Me, I have time for 14 miles a week. That’s my life. I couldn’t run more if I wanted to, because there’s no time (or really, it’s my choice to allocate enough time to running to accommodate 14 miles). I run those miles pretty hard. It’s all I’ve got, and it’s great fun. I’m quite certain that I could race loads faster if I ran more. As is, I work on racing incrementally faster with what I give myself. My race times are still improving, though probably more due to mental prep than any fitness gain. I understand, at some point I'll reach the limit of my potential at 14 miles. Not there yet.

I hope you aren't in some sort of confinement center? At 14 miles per week my goal would be general fitness and health.

xor

I hope you aren't in some sort of confinement center? At 14 miles per week my goal would be general fitness and health.

confinement center?

We've had so much thread drift that I'm not sure about what's what.

I do know some folks (single parents come to mind) who are not fast and do struggle with fitting running into real life.  Sure, we all have to make choices and priorities and sacrifices... and so sometimes 10-20 miles is what happens.  Doesn't mean a person is lazy or not serious.  It's just what they can do.

But like I said, I lost track somewhere along the way and I don't know what people are commenting on anymore.

But I did invent the "poop scooter" in my sleep.

Yeah, but I have lots and lots of time.

Since you have time, can you go get me a bagel?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... An hour run takes me about an hour an 30 minutes.

Takes me less than half that. ....

You're doing your hour run in 45 minutes?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Time flies when you're having fun. Must be REALLY fun though!

xhristopher

I do know some folks (single parents come to mind) who are not fast and do struggle with fitting running into real life.  Sure, we all have to make choices and priorities and sacrifices... and so sometimes 10-20 miles is what happens.  Doesn't mean a person is lazy or not serious.  It's just what they can do.

Ok, my attempt to add a little levity may be easily misconstrued. I've witnessed enough single parents to know that even buying groceries can be a struggle. The poster said "hard" but I had no way to know what time commitment "hard" equals.

Sometimes it feels that way...current 5k goal is to best my 5k pr from 10 years ago (18:36). Ran 18:57 last Thursday, so getting there.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

an amazing likeness

But I did invent the "poop scooter" in my sleep.

That may be, however I see that you missed on the Sha-Poopie.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ran 18:57 last Thursday, so getting there.

I hate you.  Nothing personal.

Lazy idiot

I hate you.  Nothing personal.

+2:27

Tick tock

Time travel? Timey Wimey.

xhristopher

Time flies when you're having fun. Must be REALLY fun though!

Just got tired of trying to squeeze running in between parole meetings so I reprogramed my garmin to return results more in line with my goals. Sometimes I just do the runs on my bike.