So I have a nighttime trail race comming up.... (Read 517 times)

...and I should probably buy a headlamp if I want to survive the thing.  During the fall / winter / spring I do much of my running in the dark, on country roads and it will get used pretty often, but mostly to make me visible.  However, It will need to be bright enough to pick out rocks and roots a couple times a year.  I really don't like carrying things in my hands when running so I would prefer a headlamp.

Anyone have a favorite headlamp, or headlamp buying advice (what to look for / avoid etc.)  Thanks for any help.

Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.

#artbydmcbride

Petzl Tikka plus

Runners run

xor

There are a couple threads about this somewhere here...

Anyway, my suggestion is to ditch the headlamp and/or augment it with a tiny handheld.  Handhelds will help you with depth perception and will allow you to check more stuff out w/o constantly moving your head.  And, well, you don't have something on your head.  You DO have something (else) in your hand, which takes a little getting used to.

My favorite handheld brand is Fenix.  These things can survive a nuclear weapon, they are bright, and they are battery misers.

Plus, unlike the tikka, they won't make you hungry for Indian food.  Which is good because Indian food and distance running do not mix.

(however, if you are from the Dallas area, the fenix may make you want mexican food.  Also not good for running)

Petzl Tikka plus

+1. I volunteered at a 100 mile trail race and a LOT of the runners were using this headlamp. I used it while volunteering and have used it while camping and it was great. I saw a lot of runners also wearing headlamps around their waists. This gives you something always pointing at the ground so you don't miss something when you turn your head. I heard it also helps see below dust that might be kicked up. This is all hearsay though. I also saw a several runners with handhelds. Smile

~Sara
          It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Lazy idiot

the fenix may make you want mexican food.  Also not good for running

Sez the guy who eats Taco Bell as a pre-race dinner.

Oh, I guess you did say food.

Tick tock

Plus, unlike the tikka, they won't make you hungry for Indian food.  Which is good because Indian food and distance running do not mix.

Now I have an excuse for why I run so slow.

+1 for the handheld.  With a headlamp, you really can't see roots/rocks.  I have a small LED handheld that's served me well so far, not too heavy, about the size of a 'C' battery a bit longer.

You'll ruin your knees!

Most Recent thread...

I echo the hand held light, as it gives better depth perception than a headlamp.  On technical trails, I use both, very rarely do I run with only a headlamp.  In rain/fog/hazy weather, the headlight does more to blind me than to help me see. 

Good luck on your night run!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)