Mac keyboards (Read 735 times)

mikeymike

Now for my attempt at a serious answer. Way back when, Trent learned to type the Right Way. Those of us who learned to type the Right Way, generally always keep our fingers on the "home" keys: ASDF for our left hand and ;LKJ for our right. Even when we use the mouse with our right hand, we keep our left hand sitting there on the home keys most of the time. The weight of our hand rests on the outside edge of the palm of our hand so our pinky and ring finger remain in contact with the keys while our middle and ring fingers may drift off the D and the F. So while the ASDF get more wear than the ;LKJ, the A and S also get more wear than the D and the F. Now as for why this is more pronounced on a Mac? Many Macs that I've seen have these artsy looking keyboards with the letters right smack in the center of the keys, whereas most PC's like the Dell laptop I'm typing on right now have the letters in the upper left corner of the keys so the letters don't take as much of a beating. And now is the time when Trent tells me he uses the mouse with his left hand and blows my theory away.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

mikeymike

You mean I win?? WOOT! WHAT NOW BITCHES??

Runners run

...---...

Trent - Mike may be on to something, as much as we may hate to admit it. I'm on my second Mac laptop and haven't had this issue. The one I have now is into its 10th month - it's a pro. I assume you're using a pro as well. However, a co-worker of mine has the exact same Mac Book Pro and the paint on some of his keys (where he rests his fingers) is wearing. WHat's more, the paint on the body where his palms rest is also wearing off. Being chemists, we did some testing and found his body oils to be more corrosive (more acidic) than mine. So, wear gloves or neutralize your body oils with caustic soda and your problem is solved.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You mean I win?? WOOT! WHAT NOW BITCHES??
          I think your theory actually makes a lot of sense...except the only keyboard I've ever worn the letters out on is this Microshaft one with the letters up in the upper left. But there is definitely more wear on the left-hand home-row keys.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Being chemists, we did some testing and found his body oils to be more corrosive (more acidic) than mine. So, wear gloves or neutralize your body oils with caustic soda and your problem is solved.
            Ok, related...sorta. I have a pair of polarized Bolle sunglasses that I absolutely LOVE for driving. They stay in my car and look brand new after 3-4 years. BUT...my eyelashes have been brushing the inner side of the lenses all this time and apparently my skin oils/acid have etched the inside...now they are no longer clear right in my field of vision. I think I paid $50-60 on clearance for them, so replacing the lenses would probably cost me more in the long run than buying a new pair at discount--otherwise I'd see if I could just do that. I think the lenses are plastic. Would I be better off with a pair that have glass lenses (I'm assuming glass would not be etched in this fashion), or is this a safety risk for glasses used in a car (assuming they shatter during an accident)?

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

Wow, Zoomy, you must have some studly eyelashes!Shocked

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

What is your skin's pH and normal temperature? I've owned 2 keyboards from Apple with fairly heavy use, but never wore any of the lettering off.

Vim

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, Zoomy, you must have some studly eyelashes!Shocked
                  Apparently so! I just wish they weren't blond and straight. If the same lashes were dark and curly I'd never need mascara. When I do wear mascara it ends up coating the inside of whatever eyewear I have on.

~ Sarah Kay

pitrunner

Update: I'm home now and actually on my mac. So now that's it's right in front of me I see that the 'E' is also in pretty bad shape and 'D' and 'C' are slightly scuffed up. 'A' and 'S' are definitely the worst though. I guess my left hand is studlier than my right.

Imminent Catastrophe

What part of iskin don't you people understand?

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

an amazing likeness

Now for my attempt at a serious answer.
                        Hey. hey now...don't get all maverick-ee on us and trot out that logic sheet.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What part of iskin don't you people understand?
                          Yeah, heard that. next time.

Imminent Catastrophe

Yeah, heard that. next time.
                            Just sayin'. After an unfortunate club soda vs.keyboard incident, I learned my lesson. Just for the record, club soda won. It's an electrolyte. iskin. it's worth it.

mikeymike

I've owned 2 keyboards from Apple with fairly heavy use, but never wore any of the lettering off.
                              Yes, "hunt and peck" will not do it. You have to have learned to type the Right Way as a youngster.

Runners run