Minimalist trail shoes? (Read 2547 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

Update:

I bought the Inov8 X-Talon 212s.

As I'm sure you know the name of Inov8 shoes relates to their weight.  So these weigh 212 oz. g

First outing this morning. 15 mi over steep hills on chalk paths in torrential rain - I thought I'd give them a good test!  They were incredibly light, had amazing traction and were as minimal as my lightest racing flats.  They are probably the best shoe I own.

Not sure about the US, but in the UK the X-Talon 190s come out in August.

These are the 212s:

MTA: correction to imperial / metric weight cock up.

ymmv

As I'm sure you know the name of Inov8 shoes relates to their weight.  So these weigh 212 oz.

I sure hope they weigh 212 grams instead of 212 ounces (which is about 6 kilograms)

Purdey

Self anointed title

I sure hope they weigh 212 grams instead of 212 ounces (which is about 6 kilograms)

Indeed.  That would be on the heavy side.

Imminent Catastrophe

MTA: correction to imperial / metric weight cock up.

You should work for NASA.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Purdey

Self anointed title

You should work for NASA.

and leave BP?  Never!

ymmv

at least there's no ambiguity when we talk about 'pounds'...

I'm late to the party...

But I'd also recommend Inov-8s. 

I haven't tried X-Talon's yet, I've only used the Roclite 315s.  When I'm free during an open house weekend my wife and I are going to drive down to Massachusetts and try on some different models.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Purdey

Self anointed title

Blaine - try on the x-talon 212s and be amazed.  And then wait for the x-talon 190s!

mikeymike

"cock up."  Heh.

Runners run

Imminent Catastrophe

But how many stone is that?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

New Balance Minimus reviewed.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

xor

I am waiting for these to come out.

Right on Hereford...

Indeed. I had a look at the NB Minimus the other day, but haven't tried them myself yet. Merrell is coming out with a very similar shoe to the NB Minimus soon, called the Trail Glove. It's part of their new "barefoot" series, super light, super flexible, and has a Vibram sole like the Minimus. I've got a pair of the Trail Gloves for testing.

The La Sportiva Raptor was mentioned earlier in this thread as a recommended shoe. Yes, I certainly recommend it, but, though light, it is not a minimal shoe.

New Balance came out with the 790 a couple years ago. It's a feather-light trail racing flat. Seems like what Purdey was initially looking for before he found the Innov8. I used to race Xterras in mine. You could probably find them on sale these days.

Interesting to see NB shoes with some curve.  They actually interest me too with that curve--they may be good for running in the MN snow!!

You see, there are tons of shoes out there with this gimmick and that gimmick...  Some work well; others nothing but gimmick.  But the important thing is whether the "shape" of the shoe fits your foot or not.  It wouldn't matter if the shoe is flexible and functions well and some gimmick is a great invention and all; if the shape of the shoe doesn't fit your foot.