Minimalist trail shoes? (Read 2547 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Interesting to see NB shoes with some curve.  They actually interest me too with that curve--they may be good for running in the MN snow!!

You see, there are tons of shoes out there with this gimmick and that gimmick...  Some work well; others nothing but gimmick.  But the important thing is whether the "shape" of the shoe fits your foot or not.  It wouldn't matter if the shoe is flexible and functions well and some gimmick is a great invention and all; if the shape of the shoe doesn't fit your foot.

There you go with that practical talk again! Wink

There you go with that practical talk again! Wink

So what, you want to wear shoes that don't fit but look pretty?  Oh, you're talking like a woman!!

Hawt and sexy

I can't believe I missed a thread that had the word cock in it. I guess I need new minions.

I'm touching your pants.

Adam Gentile

2011 is going to be flooded with new minimal footwear, and plenty of trail shoes, watch out.

The Merrell Gloves and trail gloves will be the one to look out for.  I know some people who have been reviewing and running in this shoe, supposely it will be the best minimal trail shoe to hit the market.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-us/Blog/Article.mvc.aspx/403c154a-f1d4-4aa8-98bd-b1419336c5b1

Those Merrels look pretty interesting.  I think I may give them a try.   I tried on a pair of VFFs and my little toe just jambed up into the second toe pocket.....and isn't long enough to fit comfortably into its own "slot".........besides, having shit between my toes just SUCKS!  A shoe like the Merrels is WAY more attractive to me.......

My Inov-8 Roclite 295s are pretty light, though.....and darn durable. LOVE THEM!

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

Right on Hereford...

The Merrell Gloves and trail gloves will be the one to look out for.  I know some people who have been reviewing and running in this shoe, supposely it will be the best minimal trail shoe to hit the market. 

What other minimal shoes besides the Merrells have they been testing? I'm going to disagree that the Merrell will be the best...Cool

bhearn

I train on trails every day, and have never felt the need for trail shoes.

I do run in Vibrams occasionally, road or trail, but now I use Saucony Fastwitch 4s as my daily trainers. Technically a racing flat.

twrex7

I train on trails every day, and have never felt the need for trail shoes.

I do run in Vibrams occasionally, road or trail, but now I use Saucony Fastwitch 4s as my daily trainers. Technically a racing flat.

I'm not sure what type of "trails" your running, but you will likely see improvement if it's anything more than a crush gravel path.  The biggest difference IMO is that trail shoes give you more bite and less slip - which ends up reducing fatigue a bit.. 

I put my inov8's up there in my list of top 3 purchases of the year.  1st - Subaru - 2nd - inov8s - 3rd smart phone!

Adam Gentile

What other minimal shoes besides the Merrells have they been testing? I'm going to disagree that the Merrell will be the best...Cool

I think now it's up to about 8 shoe companies that will be introducing their new minimal trail shoes for spring 2011.   Not sure of the brands but people who like shoes, if you are into that type of thing,  should get excited.

I've been test wearing the trail gloves, and they're good, I like them...except not so much when conditions are slick. They don't have the best traction and in mud you need to be pretty careful (I haven't worn them for too many runs that involve ice.) One advantage is that you're forced to run w/halfway decent form so that makes it a bit easier to avoiding slipping when you do hit a slick spot.

Run to Win
                        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm not sure what type of "trails" your running, but you will likely see improvement if it's anything more than a crush gravel path.  The biggest difference IMO is that trail shoes give you more bite and less slip - which ends up reducing fatigue a bit.. 

I put my inov8's up there in my list of top 3 purchases of the year.  1st - Subaru - 2nd - inov8s - 3rd smart phone!

Another vote for Inov-8. Also trail shoes tend to have more underfoot protection for sharp rocks and a beefed up toe area to protect them. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

wildchild

Carolyn

I really love my Newtons - I have the trail model called Terra Momentus.  I'd also like to look into those Innov-8s.   Good thread.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I also dig the Inov8s (I have the Roclite 295s).  Really stable (not in the "stability shoe" sort of way), nice tread.  I do feel like the softer rubber on the outsoles might wear a bit quicker, but I guess that's the price you pay for good grip on slippery surfaces. 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

I look my best blurry!

I really love my Newtons - I have the trail model called Terra Momentus.  I'd also like to look into those Innov-8s.   Good thread.

I tried these and thought they were a little clunky. I love my Distancias and Lady Isaac Newtons. I know they are a trail shoe but my solomon's seem lighter and more comfortable.