Dogs! (Read 1450 times)

I should also say, lately I have been only running 3-4 times a week but will start to increase as my workload (remodeling a house) decreases. I wouldn't expect the dog to go w/ me everyday but it would be nice if the dog was capable to do it. I usually run anywhere from 50-60 miles a week with a long run of 12-20 miles in the midst of the week.
    HOSS1961

and no most dog incidents are brought on because stupid owners who allow them to roam loose
      I agree. Most "bad" dogs are the result of bad owners. I have a very large Black Lab (110#s+) who is a real wuss but has never met a stranger. His size scares the crap out of a lot of people so I keep him on his lead when I am out. He is very well trained to voice and hand commands but ,at 2 years old, can still be very playful.
      HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured
        A few times I carried a stick, just in case. Dogs know what a stick can do.If they were Michael Vick dogs and still come at you, do what Trent said, or pepper spray, or a big stick, or whatever it takes (there's a scene in the movie, No Country for Old Men, that shows what I mean). FYI, I have three Dobes:
        When I lived in a rural area with quite a few dogs on my run I used to carry a short sand wedge with me. When dogs came out I'd turn around and stand my ground with the golf club. They stopped and turned around every time. I probably didn't need to carry it after the first few times but I probably wouldn't have dared run past them otherwise. And I probably could have changed my route but that would have meant missing a really nice long uphill portion of my run.

Just keep running...

Really good advice everyone! I have had my fair share of dog encounters and some just never seem to get the fact that all I want to do is keep cruising along in my run. Since we are on the topic of dogs I have been considering getting a dog to run with and I would really like to get one that can handle longer distances (12 - 20 milers if not more). I use to run w/ my brothers mixed breed dog (lab and chow mix) but it would always get sore paws before we could run any more than 4-6 miles 3-4 times a week. It seemed to be able to handle the longer distances ok, but I really want to make sure the dog that I do get will be able to handle the mileage. Any suggestions out there for good dog running breeds or mixed breeds for that matter (I am not picky)?
          I just got a dog as a running partner, she is a Husky mix from the pound and is a virtually perfect running partner. She was just over a year old when I got her 1.5 Months ago and in this short time she has learned a ton. First off she LOVES running, (which is a great thing to leverage when training her to run on the leash, if she pulls just stop running!). She has gotten much better at not pulling, moves to my side when cars are near and is beginning to respond to voice commands. She runs everything with me these days and I have not hit any obvious distance limit with her. I stopped her at 9.5 miles on my 14 miler the other day (just because I don't really know her limits yet) but I am quite confident she would do 20+ happily. As for the theme of this thread, I have really never encountered a problem with dogs other than following me. Dominance is key though, only a very poorly trained dog will continue toward me if I face them and establish dominance, and if they continue, I am not afraid of the swift kick to the face. Grabbing the caller and forcing them down is a great way too but I rarely want to stop. I do think that the owner is 99% responsible for the behavior of the dog and the other 1% is for the stupid people that taunt dogs.
          ScheriN

I should also say, lately I have been only running 3-4 times a week but will start to increase as my workload (remodeling a house) decreases. I wouldn't expect the dog to go w/ me everyday but it would be nice if the dog was capable to do it. I usually run anywhere from 50-60 miles a week with a long run of 12-20 miles in the midst of the week.
            I love Border Collies. Of course, they are always high energy, so you have to exercise them even when you feel like taking a week off. Ours is great with kids too. As with most Border Collies, she is kind of weird about some things - afraid of thunder (hides under the bed), afraid of raised voices, really anything loud. They are sensitive dogs, but are so wonderful! Not to say that a Border Collie is the best dog for you, but they are extremely intelligent, not too large and love, love, love to run! It might be a breed to consider.

Oh Mighty Wing

Those are beautiful Dob's! I love dogs. Have had big dogs (Shepard's raised in the sport of schutzhund) all my life. I agree with the sentiment that in their yard they can be as vocal as they want. Attack me for running near-by and i will do what i need to. This is my guard dog, Tater. (note that is a cap from a raid can - clean of course - just to give you a size idea)
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think what bothers me even more than random, loose dogs is their crap everywhere. We have a beautiful paved running path (rail trail) in our area that has piles everywhere. It's really disgusting. I love running along there, but in the past few months it seems like I can't enjoy the scenery as I am staring at the ground to avoid stepping in a pile. If I knew where the dogs (and their disgusting owners) lived I'd be leaving flaming bags of cat crap on their doorsteps. In addition to leash laws there should be shit laws--don't clean up after your pet and face a hefty fine. My pets don't leave turds all over the place, no one else's should, either. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

Any suggestions out there for good dog running breeds or mixed breeds for that matter (I am not picky)?
                  A few recommendations: 1) Adopt a rescue/shelter dog. All of mine are rescue dogs. Mutts are great! 2) In general, herding breeds/mixes (shepherd dogs, cattle dogs, border collies) have good endurance, as they are used to running for hours at a time, and working breeds are very good too. Surprisingly (from what I've read) greyhounds are sprinters but not so good at long runs. They make excellent companions, though. Especially rescues, greyhounds that don't make the cut as racers are plentiful and really need good homes. If personal protection is a factor, breeds with an aggressive look like Dobermans, Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Bull Terriers and the like) are good deterrents, even if they are really wimps. 3) If you adopt a longhair breed, then plan on cutting way back on their long runs in warm weather. Even our shorthair Dobes cut back in the warm months and it's even more so for longhairs, as they will run until they drop to please you, and by then it's too late. Let us know what you decide!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Oh Mighty Wing

oh stay away from short muzzle breeds! A good example is my Boston Terrier or Pugs or French Bull Dogs. Their short muzzle's prevent them from being able to breathe well under stress.
                      ) Adopt a rescue/shelter dog. All of mine are rescue dogs. Mutts are great!
                      Just want to echo this!! DH and I volunteer at a shelter, and there is no shortage of loving dogs that need loving homes.
                      2009: BQ?
                        Those are beautiful Dob's! I love dogs. Have had big dogs (Shepard's raised in the sport of schutzhund) all my life. I agree with the sentiment that in their yard they can be as vocal as they want. Attack me for running near-by and i will do what i need to. This is my guard dog, Tater. (note that is a cap from a raid can - clean of course - just to give you a size idea)
                        So cute! I love your Boston Terrier!

Life time runner wannabe

The one on the left is Daisy, my avatar and running partner. They are always on leash and under control. Seeing your red Dobe on the right brought me to tears. I lost my 11 yr old red Dobie last February. I still miss her so much. Wonderful, wonderful dog.
                            I run with pepper spray - but I have never thought of using it for dogs. Where I run dogs are not what I am afraid of. If I see a dog that come out of a yard I usually stop running, face it and walk backwards slowly. I have never had a problem when running, but when training for Triathlon I have problems with dogs when cycling. About what dog to get, we have Border Collies and they love running, but just remember that all dogs need to get fit just like humans and they loose their fitness quite quickly. So you will have to build up their distance gradually.
                              I love all dogs, but I'm really partial to Labs - as you can probably tell by my avatar Smile Although I had a red Dobe years ago, and I still miss her. My agility instructor is a Dobe breeder - she has lots of them, and they are all the sweetest dogs around. My younger Lab is just about old enough to begin running with - he will love it. I may take him out today for a trial run. I must say that I have been lucky and not ever been chased by a dog on a run. Of course, now that I've said that...I better carry my pepper spray. Smile
                              Deb

If only I am half the person that my dogs think I am...

Just Be

I can't stand it when I'm running and some leash free dog sees me and runs away from its owner and refuses to return to their calls to it and just follows me as I run. A lot of the time it will eventually return to its owner but about 1/4 of the time it'll just keep following me until the owner is almost out of sight and at that point I have to turn around and run back to the owner of the dog so they can keep it there. Tongue