2017 Sub 3 Marathons...and beyond! (Read 403 times)

ronj1983

2:44:41 here. 5'9" 163lbs last year at Harrisburg on 11/13. Monday-Friday of race week I ran 89 miles. Took off Saturday to have decent legs for Sunday and ran a monster PR. Pacing a 3:10:00 group this Sunday at Mohawk Hudson. I will have at least 100 miles on my week going into the race. Last Sunday of the month I am looking for at least a sub 2:40:00.

Rovatti - I am in NYC, but not part of a club...

PM me if you ever want to check it out.  It's easy to show up without joining - (Tuesday intervals, Thurs tempo).  There'd a lot of people your speed to run with.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Hi guys, you don't know me, but I was in the group that left RW in 2012. Welcome!

One thing that's different on RA is the main forums like Racing are for questions and information, not dailies. The Recent Topics area shows the most recent posts from all of the public forums. Dailies threads take the top spots, and there are only 15 to begin with. The 2012 people have their own forums, like the one you started. It does reduce the # of people that find your group, but the Beginners and Beyond Forum that started from the BF on RW has 100's of members. The daily conversations aren't something that other RA members want to see every time someone posts. Several hundreds of us descended on this place at one time and it took a little time for everyone to fit in.

Again, welcome!

I guess I'd like to know if this is actually an issue coming from an admin before we change anything, otherwise this feels like a "get off my lawn" post.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

I guess I'd like to know if this is actually an issue coming from an admin before we change anything, otherwise this feels like a "get off my lawn" post.

How about you post on other threads and topics occasionally? It's kind of intimidating to see a thread with a bunch of people you don't know all talking to each other. Help liven the place up a little. And again, welcome!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

How about you post on other threads and topics occasionally? It's kind of intimidating to see a thread with a bunch of people you don't know all talking to each other. Help liven the place up a little. And again, welcome!

I did before you even posted this (max long run question). You'll find that this group of people who moved over from RWOL are very friendly and are going to help out a lot of other folks in other threads, especially when they ask general advice questions. I've gotten such great advice over the past year, and I'm sure you will find the same.

And I understand what you're saying about intimidating. I only joined this group seriously 2 months ago, but they are very welcoming, which is why we specifically want this out in the open. The more the merrier! If we just bury this in user groups, it's going to be a closed group given how clunky that section of RA seems to be. I haven't met a single person on this thread in person, but they still feel like my community.

Hopefully the folks who have been here for a while see the merits of having these forum topics out in the open to encourage as much participation as possible.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Well this is a race preparation thread and not a Dailies thread. The Beginners and Beyond was the most popular/active on RW with many advanced runners posting there, so it never needed any exposure. I’ve browsed a few of the User groups here and some have been inactive for years. Hopefully being on the main racing page will mean some RA regulars join us rather than everyone being in their own clique.

I agree about posting on other threads and usually do if a topic interests me

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Joann Y

Well this is a race preparation thread and not a Dailies thread. The Beginners and Beyond was the most popular/active on RW with many advanced runners posting there, so it never needed any exposure. I’ve browsed a few of the User groups here and some have been inactive for years. Hopefully being on the main racing page will mean some RA regulars join us rather than everyone being in their own clique.

I agree about posting on other threads and usually do if a topic interests me

I think the general feeling around here has always been if you're talking about stuff/knowledge/experience that other runners will find of interest please put it out in the general forums (racing, gear, general, running 101, etc) so that everyone can read it and learn from it like marathon training advice, pacing, how to race a fast 5k etc. A race preparation thread is great, I think it was just a little jarring to see a wholly formed group arrive already intact. Not too mention that I'm still in a pissy mood from missing getting into Boston by 12 seconds. Is the 3:30-3:35 race prep thread coming????

Feel free to start other general interest posts/question threads as well. And if you keep your log here, it's nice to see how others train if you keep your log public rather than private.

MTA: basically what JMac11 said.

Mmmmm...beer

Hey everyone! I recognize a lot of names from other groups/threads, still chasing my sub-3, so I'll join in.

43, been running for five years. Current PR is 3:02 from last fall. I was 190lbs then, I'm around 178-180 now, and plan to be 175ish on race day. I should also mention that my 3:02 was a 3+ min negative split. Wasn't exactly sure where my fitness was, so I went out easy and hammered the back half.

Current cycle is going really well, holding good volume with some quality (in the past I've done one or the other, but not both), ran 342 miles for September. I ran a 5k PR on the 4th of July (18:10), and dropped 30sec off of another 5K from my time on that course last year, so I would say my fitness is improved. Running a 10k tuneup on the 28th, so we'll see how that goes.

Goal race is Charlotte, Nov 11th.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I think the general feeling around here has always been if you're talking about stuff/knowledge/experience that other runners will find of interest please put it out in the general forums (racing, gear, general, running 101, etc) so that everyone can read it and learn from it like marathon training advice, pacing, how to race a fast 5k etc. A race preparation thread is great, I think it was just a little jarring to see a wholly formed group arrive already intact. Not too mention that I'm still in a pissy mood from missing getting into Boston by 12 seconds. Is the 3:30-3:35 race prep thread coming????

Feel free to start other general interest posts/question threads as well. And if you keep your log here, it's nice to see how others train if you keep your log public rather than private.

MTA: basically what JMac11 said.

Thanks for understanding. You will see some people posting their weekly info, but we get a lot of info out of that. I've learned so much seeing how other people structure their weeks and workouts and it's led to some interesting discussions. I definitely agree on getting general topics out in the open, I will be sure to do that if I have any questions.

D - Welcome to the group! Impressive mileage, sounds like you are in good shape to finally get that sub 3!

watsonc123

Iam - welcome to the thread. I've vaguely followed your progress over the last few years, and it is impressive.

DTo - welcome.

Ron - welcome.

We want this thread here as:

a. It will be easier to attract new members.

b. If anyone wants to see what sub 3 hour training looks like (hint: lots of running), then they can find it easier.

c. It is in the Racing section. We are racing these marathons.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Mmmmm...beer

D - Welcome to the group! Impressive mileage, sounds like you are in good shape to finally get that sub 3!

Thanks! I feel good about Charlotte, plus there's a 3:00 pace group, I'm gonna go out with them for a bit and see how I feel, then go from there.

Looking at your races this year, looks like you're primed for a sub-3 as well!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

FSBD

Hi, I will hop into this thread.  I have been around Running Ahead for a while and used to check out the sub 2:45 and sub 3 threads on RWOL every once in a great while.

I'm 37 and have been running for about 6 years now.  My PR is a 2:50:52 but that was in the fall of 2015. So I am looking to get back into a position where a PR is a reasonable goal.

My log is public so you can check out what I have been doing for training.  I run on the treadmill a lot because most of my running happens while my kid is sleeping and I have a weird mental block when it comes to running in the dark.

It would be good to have people to compare notes with and bounce ideas off of along the way.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

Joann Y

Here is a fun RA thread you all might like. ....stadjak's quest for a sub-3.

iamdisappoint

My running bio:

Nearly 40 male, married, two kids (12 & 8). I got into running in my mid-30s after my parents asked me to accompany them to watch my sister run Boston in 2011. I ran my first FM in 2012 on terrible training, but managed to finish and was hooked. I was training for my 2nd in 2013 when the Boston bombings happened. I had been participating in the sub-3:30 thread on RWOW, and thinking that I was on a 2-3 year schedule to BQ. I ran a tune-up HM in 1:29, realized that I was probably in 3:15 shape, and decided to have a go at a BQ (3:10). I ran 3:09 at Providence that year and was stoked to have qualified ,. until I learned that BQ != entered into race. 

Having very few cards to play between May and September of 2013 to get into Boston 2014, I just started running as many miles as I felt I could tolerate, and signed up for Lehigh Valley. I ended up running 3:00:17 there (not in the Rossi kind of way) and getting in Boston 2014. I thought I would glide to my first sub3 there, but had a terrible and inconsistent buildup and missed badly. Finally got my first sub3 at Baystate in 2014.

Since then I've been learning how to push the limits of what I can tolerate with training. I sometimes turn into the Exploding Sausage when I push too hard, but have managed to make fitness gains year over year. I ran 2:49 in the Hot Boston of 2016, then managed to get just under 2:48 in the Hot Boston of 2017. (I considered making my screen name here either "Hot Boston" or "Exploding Sausage". I briefly thought about "HotExplodingBostonSausage", but quickly backed away.) I'm pretty sure I was in 2:45-2:46 shape as of Boston 2016, and 2:43-2:44 shape as of Boston 2017.

I typically run 90-100 mile weeks, and seem to have acclimated to that kind of volume after a year or two of struggling to find a sustainable pattern. I'm a classic endurance plodder - I can't go fast, but I can go far. 

I switched over to training via a power meter in this cycle, and started working with a coach for the first time. It's been eye-opening, and has helped me get more quality in with what feels like reduced risk (so far). 

I'm running Richmond in early November. I haven't finalized a target yet, but I'll likely be aiming to get under 2:40 if the weather is good. That's a big jump from my current PR (2:47:56), but feels not-insane based on how this cycle has gone. I'm planning on the spring FM cycle be the last one I really focus on the FM; after that I want to have a go at longer races.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/5795019

DesiRunner

Thanks Andres for starting this thread. I was on RWOL forums but my posting record was very poor out there and hopefully it will be little better here. I am not training for anything as I have decided to take it easy after spring Marathon. I have run few shorter races last few months as they were part of my running club Grand Prix series. My last weekend's half didn't end well. I took a chance and paid dearly with severe calf cramps in last 2.5 mi. Finish time of 1:24:16 wasn't terrible but it was still a poor execution. Good luck for everyone training for fall races

PRs: 5k - 18:22 (01/16), 10k - 38:00 (08/17), Half - 1:23:44 (09/14), Full - 2:53:48 (05/18 - Maine Coast)