2017 Sub 3 Marathons...and beyond! (Read 403 times)

mattw4jc

I have missed a week or two. I finished the year with about 2,200 running miles and 6,200 biking miles (mostly commutes).

A couple of weeks ago I had some tightness in my right calf. That mostly subsided, but then my left achilles started acting up. After a 20 mile run Sunday a week ago (Christmas Eve), it was swollen and very tender to the touch. I did some stretching, rolling, a little bit of icing, and took a couple of extra days off. This made for a low mileage week last week, but it definitely got better with the time off.

This past weekend was supposed to be a 21 mile long run, but my running buddy had 17 as he tapers for the Phoenix full. I decided that was plenty as I was still nursing the achilles.

Some folks from my running group are attempting a streak for 2018. Easy to get into now as I'm in training mode, but I'm not gonna be die-hard about it. It did mean that I ran yesterday even though I normally don't run on Mondays.

Weekly Summary
    Monday, Dec 25, 2017 thru Sunday, Dec 31, 2017

Day Miles Pace Description Link
    Mon 0   Rest Day / Achilles pain  
    Tue 0   Achilles rest  
    Wed 0   Achilles rest  
    Thu 5.0 8:51 Easy 5 strava
    Fri 10.3 7:31 Frozen Tempo strava
    Sat 17.0 8:23 Long Run strava
    Sun 10.0 8:17 Easy 10 with DART strava
      42.2   Bike Total: 79.5  

Andres - high mileage? Probably not. No Boston bib either. This cold weather also has put a damper on any respectable training for a 10 mile race I have in 11 days (even if the weather is OK). I'm going to reevaluate after my February break for what holds this year. I might run a local marathon the first Sunday of May if the weather is good and I think I can BQ-5. 

If not, I'll probably just run more uptempo stuff, with more biking/XT and maybe try to encroach on the weakest all-time PR I have (18:4x? 5k) when it gets nice and warm.

Right now I just run ~10-20 mpw and Zwift/virtual cycle 100-140 mpw. 

I definitely had a more relaxing holiday break/vacation without worrying about trying to get any semblance of a run in.

GabbyTriBoy

Must Go Faster

Swim: Back at it and will be crushing it before you know it. Fitness will return quickly. Your 2017 was brutal. I'm here for you buddy. And I'm looking forward to racing you, especially in the 5k.

Cinnamon: Nice 5k and 10 mile PRs. I agree we should certainly post our 2018 goals to the new thread as soon as Mikkey starts it.

Weatherboy: Great job getting the miles in for 2017 and PRing across the board. Let's not talk about Boston heat. We will get a good one eventually. That LR looks pretty sick.

JTReeves: Congrats on your first Boston. Sorry to hear about your dad. And nice job getting over 3000 miles.

tn_weather: Looking strong on Strava. Really happy for you to finally be healthy again. Now you can show us all how it's done in 2018.

Andres: PRing the FM on your lowest annual mileage in 3 years is impressive. I agree on the weights but it's really hard to get back into it once your cycle starts since it wil make you so sore for days and weeks. That's my experience. I got back into in December to avoid that pain with the Spring cycle. I have never broken 3000 miles. 29xx in 2015 and 28xx in 2016. One of these years...2018?

Mikkey: I am also waiting for my Strava follow request from you.

mattw4jc: That's a lot of miles with the biking and running combined. Be careful starting a cycle with an achilles issue. It won't go away running on it unless you are some kind of mutant. Trust me, I tried.

StillaDCV: When is the Tri? Your FTP imporvements are awesome!

PRs: 5k: 16:45 (04/17) -- 10k: 35:48 (03/18) -- 10m: 58:04 (04/16)  -- HM: 1:17:29 (03/18) -- FM: 2:47:11 (11/17)

Goals: 2:44 FM, 16:29 5k

Next Up: Cherry Blossom 10 (4/19), Boston (04/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Flyrunnr - Wakey wakey, it’s time to get your arse in gear and get the 2018 party started!

I’m on a running streak this year.

Happy New Year to y’all.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Strugglr - tri? Ha. If I only knew how to swim. However, the newer local running group I've hooked up with is basically a fork of a local tri-group. Today's ride on Zwift was a hard one. Overreached on the group I was supposed to ride with (3.0-3.3 W/kg), so they took off after 5 minutes (because they started at 3.5 W/kg, and I road alone for 3 of the 4 laps, then quit. Plus, too much riding is not so friendly on the ass if you know what I mean Smile

My TM seems to not like to go faster than 7.5mph, since it promptly shuts down right after that. That why all my TM runs have been 15-20 minutes.

Swim5599

Flyrunnr - Wakey wakey, it’s time to get your arse in gear and get the 2018 party started!

Happy New Year to y’all.

Mikkey I am thinking about running London in 2020.  Ill have to hit you up for the particulars.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

DoppleBock

I am shooting for a sub 3 prior to the end of 2018.  I am starting with fitness that is a long way out to that goal.

I live in Neenah, WI

-  I started running fall of 2013.

- 1st sub 3 was 2004 Twin Cities Age 35 - weighing in at 232#

-  PR was 2:45:58 in 2006 Fix Cities Age 37 - Weight 205#

-  Last sub 2:50 = 2:48:12 at 2009 Green Bay Age 40 - Weight 205#

-  Last sub 3 was Carmel (IN) in April 2012

I stopped caring about the marathon distance in 2010 and got caught up in ultra-running.   March 2nd 2013 I injured my hip and back downhill skiing and then stopped caring about running.

I am currently @ 260#.  I can run / walk forever ... But Running 20 miles straight has been a struggle.  I am pretty confident I could finish a marathon in @ 3:59 Currently.

My race calendar

* 2/10 - Steve Cullen Healthy Hearts 8K (Wauwatosa, WI)

* 3/2 - Point Bock 5 Miler (Stevens Point, WI)

* 4/7 - NK50k (Northern Kettle Ice Age Trail ... Greenbush, WI)

* 5/12 - Ice Age 50 Miler

From now to the end of May is for running consistently - losing weight and slowly building up speed.  Then I will start sub 3 marathon training.

I will follow a basic training program until June

* 1 leg speed workout ~ 10x1 minute fast with 2 minutes easy between (think striders - Leg efficiency, open hips etc)

* 1 LAT workout ~ 20 minutes @ T  or 3-5 x 1 mile

* 1 mid-week long run (14+ miles)

* 1 weekend long run (16+ miles)

Once my angry knee feels better I will also do a minimum of 2,500 vertical feet per week.  I do most my winter running on a treadmill.

I supliment running with weights (2-3 times a week), Volleyball / Walleyball / Racquetball / Tennis (1-2 times a week), cross country skiing when we have snow and sometimes snowshoeing

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Training plan this week

-  6 days running (I took Monday off)

-  50+ miles

-  10x1 minute with 2 minutes rest

20@T

-  I will try again to hit a 20 miler this weekend

-  2-3 times weight lifting

-  no Court sports this week ... but maybe snowshoeing ?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

cinnamon girl

Weatherboy: 4 x 2 mi at 5:46 ?!?! 

TN: I had ran 20 mi (7:11) on the Eastern Trail on Wednesday - visiting my son in Saco - and hadn't even decided on BAA Half until Friday. The next Master was a young 40yo (ha!) who finished over 8 min behind me and my finishing time was one of my PWs so obviously no fast people showed up. But I accepted the $300 anyways  It was a fairly challenging course and day though.

Dopplebock: is this the first time you've posted here? Let's see if someone will start the 2018 thread and so you can maybe repost your history with details. I don't understand how you started running in 2013 if you ran a sub-3 April 2012.

Matt: +1 to what Strugglr said. I wouldn't care about maintaining any sort of streak if my achilles was swollen.

Swim: London 2020? I like it.

Strugglr: why not you?

Last week:

M: 9 mi (8:17)

T: 5 mi (8:23)

W: 8 mi (8:23)
                    T: 70 min easy TM
                    F: AM: 9 mi w/8 x 2:15 min 5.4% hills / PM: 35 min TM
                    S: 6.75 mi easy TM
                    S: 8 mi (8:17)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey I am thinking about running London in 2020.  Ill have to hit you up for the particulars.

Cool! I know you mentioned Berlin previously but I think London is a better race with huge crowd support and a great atmosphere. And yeah bring Strugglr with you so that you can kick his butt...in fact I could probably kick his butt as well in a head to head marathon!

DoppleBock - Welcome to the 2017 thread.   Impressive history, especially the 2:45 at weight 205#

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

mattw4jc

The achilles has been doing better. It was swollen and painful on Christmas Day, but after a couple of days off and easing back into it, it seems mostly better now.

It's been below 20F every morning this week which is rare around here (N. Carolina), but so far I'm still getting outside to run. The treadmill at the gym is tempting, but not sure I want to go make a sweaty mess of it.

A running buddy runs mostly outside, but does his repeats and tempo miles on the treadmill partly because he doesn't like his outside options for speedwork and partly because he considers it a bit of heat training. I've thought it may be a good idea, but have yet to try it. Are there any other advantages to the treadmill? Consistent pace?

flyrunnr

Happy New Year to y’all.

What year is it?? And who the heck is this Mikkey? Any running streak doesn't count *unless* it can be tracked or verified on Strava.

Swim - London 2020?? That's 30 months away, how do you know we'll still be running or even alive? Especially with this talk about nuclear buttons. Wink Good luck with the comeback!

Cinnamon - Hi! I forget if you have a marathon on the schedule for 2018. 2017 discussions seem so long ago.

Doppelbock - Welcome! At 260#, you are the new resident heavyweight!,  At 49/50 y.o., you're still way younger than Mikkey, the elder statesmen. You must be tall, possibly over 6'4"? You ran some impressive times over 200lbs, good luck with with the training and getting back to sub-3 journey.

weatherboy - I forget what area of FL you live in? Orlando is what I'm thinking. Anyway, crazy that Tallahassee got snow. First snow in FL since 1989 is what I heard.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

What year is it?? And who the heck is this Mikkey? Any running streak doesn't count *unless* it can be tracked or verified on Strava.

I registered with Strava a few months ago...but only just started logging this week (after 2 years of mostly watchless running) so it’s a bit of a novelty again and I’m liking my new Garmin 230 which means no hassle...although I have to log my treadmill runs manually so I hope they count for the streak! I transferred some of my old races from Garmin Connect but the finish times don’t match up for whatever reason.

Swim - Good point made by Flyrunnr so maybe make it London 2019 instead!

flyrunnr

I've missed a few days with training, but I'm starting to get back at it. By next week, I should pretty much have my act together. Hopefully hopeful. Here are my past few weeklies (I feel like I'm turning my homework in late).

Week 1 of 18 - Boston
                              Monday, Dec 11, 2017 thru Sunday, Dec 17, 2017

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                              Day Miles Pace Duration Description Link
                              Mon 7.0 7:10 0:50 7 Miles Easy strava
                              Tue 5.6 6:40 0:37 Treadmill Run - 8 miles strava
                              Tue 2.4 7:21 0:17 Treadmill Supplement - forgot to start watch strava
                              Wed 14.0 8:36 2:00 Treadmill - 2 w/u; 10 progression; 2 c/d strava
                              Thu 6.0 8:43 0:52 6 miles Easy strava
                              Fri 10.0 8:35 1:25 10 miles Easy strava
                              Fri 0.5 6:56 0:03 Strides strava
                              Sat 14.0 9:04 2:07 Playin’ in the snow LR strava
                              Sun 8.0 13:53 1:51 Eagles game jog - 😳 never a doubt (12-2) strava
                                67.5 8:58 10:06  

Week 2 of 18 - Boston
                              Monday, Dec 18, 2017 thru Sunday, Dec 24, 2017

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                              Mon 6.4 9:25 1:00 Morning Run strava
                              Mon 5.2 9:18 0:48 The Running Place - Party & Run strava
                              Tue 6.4 9:16 0:59 Morning - 6 Easy strava
                              Wed 2.0 9:17 0:18 Morning - 2 w/u strava
                              Wed 6.0 7:24 0:44 Morning - 800 repeats strava
                              Wed 2.1 10:05 0:20 Morning - 2 c/d strava
                              Thu 2.6 9:38 0:24 Morning Run strava
                              Thu 6.6 9:53 1:05 Lunch Run - Echo Valley and back strava
                              Fri 10.3 8:23 1:26 Morning - Farmers Market Run strava
                              Sat 16.0 8:20 2:13 Week 2 of 18: Long Run strava
                                63.6 8:50 9:22    

Week 3 of 18 - Boston
                              Monday, Dec 25, 2017 thru Sunday, Dec 31, 2017

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                              Tue 1.8 14:32 0:26 Afternoon Run strava
                              Wed 2.0 11:03 0:22 TM - 2 w/u strava
                              Wed 6.3 8:30 0:53 Mile repeats: 6x1@6:45 w/ 0.25 jog recovery (splits in notes) strava
                              Wed 1.8 9:14 0:16 TM - 2 c/d strava
                              Thu 8.1 7:23 1:00 Afternoon Run strava
                              Fri 10.0 9:03 1:30 Morning - Chilly 10 Easy strava
                              Sat 18.0 9:11 2:45 Snowy 18 on the Trail strava
                              Sun 8.0 9:37 1:17 Evansburg State Park and back - need yak trax strava
                                56.0 9:08 8:31    

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

Mikkey can you post a link to your strava and I will follow you  If you see an Andrew from New Zealand following feel free to follow back.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "