2017 Sub 3 Marathons...and beyond! (Read 403 times)

cinnamon girl

The achilles has been doing better. It was swollen and painful on Christmas Day, but after a couple of days off and easing back into it, it seems mostly better now.

It's been below 20F every morning this week which is rare around here (N. Carolina), but so far I'm still getting outside to run. The treadmill at the gym is tempting, but not sure I want to go make a sweaty mess of it.

A running buddy runs mostly outside, but does his repeats and tempo miles on the treadmill partly because he doesn't like his outside options for speedwork and partly because he considers it a bit of heat training. I've thought it may be a good idea, but have yet to try it. Are there any other advantages to the treadmill? Consistent pace?

Matt: Good to hear the achilles is improved. Re: treadmill running .. I would try it and see what you think of the experience.  Mikkey might have some thoughts on advantages .. I'm not sure who else here does much running on the mill ..

Fly: 6 x 1 at 6:45 with 1/4 mi rec? I just signed up for Edinburgh last week!

Mikkey: I think your punishment for joining Strava should be that you have to start 2018.

flyrunnr

Mikkey can you post a link to your strava and I will follow you  If you see an Andrew from New Zealand following feel free to follow back.

Thanks Piwi, I was searching for him, with no luck. I suspect he registered under a pseudonym like "The Brighton Express".

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

mattw4jc

Thanks Piwi, I was searching for him, with no luck. I suspect he registered under a pseudonym like "The Brighton Express".

Is there a way to search for a bunch of newly taken KOMs?

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Matt: Good to hear the achilles is improved. Re: treadmill running .. I would try it and see what you think of the experience.  Mikkey might have some thoughts on advantages .. I'm not sure who else here does much running on the mill ..

Fly: 6 x 1 at 6:45 with 1/4 mi rec? I just signed up for Edinburgh last week!

Mikkey: I think your punishment for joining Strava should be that you have to start 2018.

Unfortunately I’m incapable of setting up a spreadsheet, so basically I’m too stupid to be the OP. Sorry! That’s great that you signed up for Edinburgh!

Yeah I do nearly all my faster runs and some long runs on the treadmill (probably about 30/40% of my training). I like the fact that I just press a button and tell the machine what pace I’m going to run at...the treadmills at my gym overlook the sea which I like and yes they are good for sweat runs, especially when approaching Spring when it can suddenly get hot. I used to have a treadmill in my garage but couldn’t handle more than 5 miles as the vibe wasn’t right so I got rid of it. The treadmill is obviously easier than outside so you’ll either need to use the incline or increase the speed, eg, for me 6:25 pace on the treadmill would be about the equivalent of 6:40 outside. And finally the treadmill is easier on my legs and I wouldn’t be able to hit my target mileage if it was all on the road.

Anyway, KramRunner is the treadmill king on here!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

flyrunnr

matt - +1 for Kram as the Treadmill King, that guy ran some impressive 90-100 mile weeks with LR's, tempos, and most easy miles on the treadmill. He's from Ann Arbor, so options are limited. He did a great post about it upon my request in the old RWOL forum.

I ran 22% of my miles for my Boston 2016 cycle on the treadmill. It was the first time I broke 3 hrs and nearly a 10 minute PR. I think the best benefits were heat acclimation and injury prevention. It was 70 degrees at the start in Boston that year.

A really great story about someone doing all of their training on a TM, Christine Clark, who came out of nowhere and won the Olympic Trials in 2000. She lives in Anchorage, AK. http://www.usatf.org/athletes/bios/TrackAndFieldArchive/2001/Clark_Christine.asp

Cinnamon - Edinburgh, very nice, I'm jealous!

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

mattw4jc

Thanks @cinnamon.

@Mikkey and @fly - good info. Yes, I remember @Kram doing pretty much everything on the mill and even vaguely remember his soliloquy about it. I ran my tempo miles outside this morning, but still have plenty of miles left where I could try it. It has been years, but I ran 4 or so miles on a TM when it was icy outside. I think there was football or basketball game on that distracted me.

I think I'd have to ease into any faster paces on one though as I fear taking a bad step and flying off the back or head-butting the console. A couple of the TMs at my gym have built in TVs, but otherwise they all look out over a round-about and fairly quiet side street with little distraction. Audio book or a Kindle with Netflix, perhaps?

kramrunner

awww, thanks guys & gal! Trying to get back at it, with most of my time spent on the tm so far this year! Set it to 0.5% minimum and you should be good to go. A good podcast really really helps!

Currently hobbling around on a very, very sore right shin, that blew up last night. The text below is from my log last March. Now I have the exact same thing on my right leg this time. I have no idea whatsoever how I did it! Hopefully a similar 72hr timeframe will have me back mobile! Sometimes I really wonder why I bother 

==================

17/03/26

More frankly bizarre injury "fun" for me. It appears that sometime Thu/Fri I hurt my Tibialis anterior muscle/tendon, which was a little sore on Sat and made me decide to move my TLT long run to Sun and just to an easy 12 instead. No problems during the run. I went to bed at 9pm painfree to get up and catch the F1 race and surprise, surprise I awoke to a locked up shin and being unable to place any pressure on my foot... wtf. Really weird as my ankle/calf etc. were fine but it really really hurt to try walk. By next morn it was all swollen about an inch above my ankle on the front of my shin where that tendon makes it way towards the big toe and I was hopping around on one leg. Ditto yesterday morning, but the swelling has subsided and I pretty much had full flexibility with limited pain! I gave it an extra day and got 3 in this evening. No pain during the run but the tendon is pretty tender right now, ice time! I think the muscle got hurt and swelled up (or a related bursa did) to be grinding the tendon against my shin bone or some such... very ouch.

===================

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Unfortunately I’m incapable of setting up a spreadsheet, so basically I’m too stupid to be the OP. Sorry! 

Hi everyone, de-lurking for a second here. In the running ahead boards we don't need to set up spreadsheets, since we can edit the first post, we can use a simple table (see the icon in between the smiley and the <> (Source Code) sign.

Re-lurking now as I have no business being here while running 25 miles a week.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

finbad

Hi All, been away for ages but did a pain-free long run today so I'm calling it - I'm back

looks like I've lots of homework reading to do as I've not even been lurking.

Cinnamon -very cool that you'll be running Edinburgh

my week:

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                    Day Miles Pace Description Link
                    Mon 3.2 7:50 See strava
                    Tue 3.3 8:20 Night Run strava
                    Wed 12.1 7:23 Bracing strava
                    Thu 4.8 8:14 Afternoon Run strava
                    Fri 8.7 7:42 Day after weights return- nothing to recommend it strava
                    Sat 3.4 7:48 Lunch Run strava
                    Sun 20.0 7:12 Guinness cake strava
                      55.5 7:33  

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

watsonc123

Good training going on here.

I won't be running a marathon 2018, so I will not be on the thread.

Life is getting a little less hectic, so I have started a cycle from a March half.  Will peak at a mere 50 or so miles, but given my time off plus slowly getting a few niggles right is about optimal for the cycle.  Will then build more mileage for a September / October half.

One of my favourite treadmill posters on RWOL was Brent Hanson. He was from Minnesota so terrible winters.  He did 60-75 mile weeks consistently on the mill in his basement.  The best part is for easy runs, he would often multi task by simultaneously playing Play Station!

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

Hey all... I'm going into lurk mode for 2018 on the marathon front.

The ITB is gradually coming right with a combination of massage, varying up running surfaces, and reducing intensity.

My osteo, and my gut, are telling me that it was down to post-marathon fatigue and I don't think it's a coincidence that the issue first arose following my first race post-marathon.  But you know, feeling like someone is jabbing daggers in the side of your knee tends to take all the enjoyment out of running, so marathons are off the radar for me for now and I'll stick to shorter distances.  Running is too important to me to be injured and I've had only minor niggles when previously focusing on HM's and shorter races.

All the best to everyone for a good year of running in 2018!

Matt - good luck with the achilles

Kram - hope that shin comes right

Watson - yeah Brent was insane on the treadmill. Playstation would certainly help!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

cinnamon girl

Hey all... I'm going into lurk mode for 2018 on the marathon front.

so marathons are off the radar for me for now and I'll stick to shorter distances.  Running is too important to me to be injured and I've had only minor niggles when previously focusing on HM's and shorter races.

I totally get you MarkyMark. The fear of getting some injury again is always in my head and I'm not ready to want to handle that yet. Whatever you want to do is cool - marathon or not!  Keep posting if you want.  I rarely target a marathon but I keep posting anyways   Folks like to see you here!

Watson: like I said to Marky .. continue to post if you want to. Targeting training for a half is good training.

Yay FINBAD! Good to see you're back! Nice long run!

Kramrunner - your '  ' made me smile. I totally understand. I do hope 72 hr is all it takes!

M: 5 mi easy on TM
                          T: 9.5 mi (7:35)
                          W: 7 mi (7:35)
                          T: 10 mi (7:05)
                          F: 7.8 mi (7:33)
                          S: 16 mi (7:06)

S: 10 mi (7:19)

I was going to start the 2018 thread tonight if someone hadn't already .. but I'm too tired after long day at work and it's late. But seriously guys, come on! wtf.   RA needs more smiley options.

Swim5599

Finbad welcome back.  I’d say a 20 miler is usually an indicator that your probably back.

kram.  I saw you put up a number yesterday. 72 hrs must have done the trick.

Mark.  It’s always interesting how people respond to mileage.  At 70 mpws I feel like trash, but at 130 I feel strong as an ox.

Cinnamon.  Another solid week.

As for me I got 40 in. Felt beat up from the strength work most of the week until yesterday when things felt pretty good.  Onwards

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

paul2432

I'm not running any marathons in 2018 either.  Boston 2019 will probably be my next marathon.  If the 2018 thread gets going I do plan check in and comment now and then, but probably won't be posting my weeks.

I'll be posting my weeks in the ultra runners user group.

mattw4jc

I totally get you MarkyMark. The fear of getting some injury again is always in my head and I'm not ready to want to handle that yet. Whatever you want to do is cool - marathon or not!  Keep posting if you want.  I rarely target a marathon but I keep posting anyways   Folks like to see you here!

Watson: like I said to Marky .. continue to post if you want to. Targeting training for a half is good training.

Ditto guys - consider this more of a place to post because we like to know we aren't alone in our insanity. You're doing us a favor by posting.

I was going to start the 2018 thread tonight if someone hadn't already .. but I'm too tired after long day at work and it's late. But seriously guys, come on! wtf.   RA needs more smiley options.

So are we allowed to post 2018 mileage in the 2017 thread. I won't be sent back to 1955 or anything?

I ended up with more a few more miles for the week than the plan called for. An easy 6 on Saturday turned into 9 because I jumped in on a group run after 4 mornings of 10-15 degree solo runs. Our morning temps are supposed to be back in the low to mid 30s this week. Balmy.

Date Distance Pace Comment  
                                Mon Jan 01 5.06 8:07 Lunch Run strava
                                Tue Jan 02 7.02 8:27 Strides and Icee Beard strava
                                Wed Jan 03 12.56 7:51 Morning Run strava
                                Thu Jan 04 6.01 8:22 Morning Run strava
                                Fri Jan 05 11.75 7:20 Daily Ice Beard Run Featuring Tempo Miles strava
                                Sat Jan 06 9.20 8:15 Easy 6 or so strava
                                Sun Jan 07 20.72 7:56 Twenty Miles; Ten Degrees strava
                                Summary: 72.31 7:58 Bike Commute: 101.4 miles