2017 Sub 3 Marathons...and beyond! (Read 403 times)

Marky_Mark_17

I think the general feeling around here has always been if you're talking about stuff/knowledge/experience that other runners will find of interest please put it out in the general forums (racing, gear, general, running 101, etc) so that everyone can read it and learn from it like marathon training advice, pacing, how to race a fast 5k etc. A race preparation thread is great, I think it was just a little jarring to see a wholly formed group arrive already intact. Not too mention that I'm still in a pissy mood from missing getting into Boston by 12 seconds. Is the 3:30-3:35 race prep thread coming????

Feel free to start other general interest posts/question threads as well. And if you keep your log here, it's nice to see how others train if you keep your log public rather than private.

MTA: basically what JMac11 said.

I definitely don't think the intention was to jar anyone... this is a very welcoming group (I only joined around 6 months ago and have gotten a lot of great help and insight).  All welcome and I think everyone will probably get involved in other threads too.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Andres1045

I think it was just a little jarring to see a wholly formed group arrive already intact.

I hope it is clear that we started this thread here with the idea that it would be easier to find and more inviting for others to jump in.  Hopefully as the conversation progresses, it will become obvious that we really are an open and encouraging group.  Also, I hear you on starting other threads as well as contributing to others.  That makes a lot of sense.

Fly - Glad you found us.  I did like the idea of the User Group, but I do think this will be much easier to have people jump in on an ongoing basis.  And good looking week there.  You getting close to setting your NYC goal?

iamdisappoint - Good to see you.  Maybe your presence will encourage the others to come too.  I really like the statement you made by running 99.8 miles last week.  Kind of a "sure, I could run a hundred, but that's not that big a deal (to me (anymore))."

Dt2nd - I do remember you from a few years back.  Glad you're still keeping the goal alive!

FSBD/DesiRunner - Welcome!  What race are you eyeing?

Upcoming races: Boston

Swim5599

This is great.  I’m so happy to be back with Mikkey.  I’ll fill in the bio info when I have more time.  Marathon PR is 2:48:27 from a glorious day back in October.  Next race is Richmond with the goal being to race smart and controlled for 20 miles and then bury the last 10k similar to last October.  The big new stuff for me is that I moved to flagstaff in late july and got crushed by the thin air for awhile but it’s come around nicely.  The other new thing is that I work with a coach and he takes all the guess work out of it for me.  I’ve had a very very difficult year personally and would love to crush a big one in November to honor my mom who passed in March.

Last week was 114 total with a 10 mile MP effort tempo and a 20 mile slog last Saturday.  So far this week is going much better.  Props to Andres for sitting this up.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

Joann Y

I hope it is clear that we started this thread here with the idea that it would be easier to find and more inviting for others to jump in.  Hopefully as the conversation progresses, it will become obvious that we really are an open and encouraging group.  Also, I hear you on starting other threads as well as contributing to others.  That makes a lot of sense.

For sure. I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions. I was imagining a wave of similar threads taking over the entire place. I like you guys already. You run a lot and seem reasonable. That's good enough for me. Plus, it's not like I'm queen of this place or anything. Maybe you guys will inspire me to have bigger goals.

kramrunner

For sure. I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions. I was imagining a wave of similar threads taking over the entire place. I like you guys already. You run a lot and seem reasonable. That's good enough for me. Plus, it's not like I'm queen of this place or anything. Maybe you guys will inspire me to have bigger goals.

As you've posted in here, how about a little bio and some info. on your current small goals, e.g., your profile appears to suggest some Chicago taper madness Wink

Imho, it's seeing the long term training of random folk with all sorts of age profiles and job/life bs who convert that to sub 3 etc., that is the magic of this place.

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

kramrunner

kram - when you're in Philly for the HM, perhaps we can meet up? I'k probably running the 8K,  we usually head to Tir Na Nog or Con Murphy's after the races. Good Irish bars.

Ya, let's do it. DaveB is doing the full as well, so we'll have enough people a mini-forum beer-up 

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

Iam/Swim glad you  made it here. I follow you guys on Strava in awe. Swim seems like you have some great motivation for your upcoming races.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

FSBD

FSBD/DesiRunner - Welcome!  What race are you eyeing?

Right now the next full I'm planning is Boston.

I didn't have a BQ so I planned to do two this fall. The Charles River Marathon right before registration opened for Boston and The Baystate Marathon but after Charles River i was a little more beat up than I expected to be and I felt like I couldn't get in enough adequate recovery and training to be able to give it my all, so I decided to skip that one and am planning to race a half in mid November instead.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

watsonc123

Swim - welcome. And awesome volume.

Weather forecast is pretty good for Sunday. Light winds, a few showers but occasional and light. Temp starting about 10 Celsius / 50 F maybe 15 Celsius / 59 F at the end.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Joann Y

As you've posted in here, how about a little bio and some info. on your current small goals, e.g., your profile appears to suggest some Chicago taper madness Wink

Imho, it's seeing the long term training of random folk with all sorts of age profiles and job/life bs who convert that to sub 3 etc., that is the magic of this place.

I agree with observing the long term training of different people. You start noticing what is common, what works, what doesn't work.

Ha! You caught onto my taper madness. I'm feeling a little nutty these last few days. I have no illusions of ever running sub-3. Bio? Geez. Nothing too interesting. Sprinted around everywhere as a kid, sprinted in high school, hated anything longer than 200 meters. Boyfriend in high school got me running longer up to 5 miles or so. Screwed around running 3-6 miles a few days a week for years off and on. Ran some 5ks, 10ks. Exercise and sport science major in college. Started training for a marathon once and gave up when my hip hurt (ha!). In 2012 a friend suggested a 10 mile race and been building from there. Honestly, finding the community of runners here is what finally pulled me in for reals. Finally ran that first marathon in 2013 severely undertrained. Got my mind around the idea of running more equals running faster. Here I am. Goal is sub 3:30 marathon. I suppose if that happens anytime soon then I will create a faster time goal. My goal for this Sunday is <3:38:30. Last year I ran 3:41:49. That was a BQ - 3:11. Surely enough to get in! Right? RIGHT? I need to run a faster 5k so that will be the spring goal. <22:00 would be a nice start. Maybe a 50k in the fall next year to have a reason to work on leg strength and try something different? Or maybe back to the marathon.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Joann - Welcome. That's unbelievable on Boston, I'd be so upset! Good luck at Chicago, weather is looking a little warm, but hopefully you secure that BQ this time.

Waston - speaking of weather, wow what a forecast! If only all our races were like that.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Andres1045

Goal is sub 3:30 marathon. I suppose if that happens anytime soon then I will create a faster time goal. My goal for this Sunday is <3:38:30. Last year I ran 3:41:49. 

Yup, that's how it works, doesn't it?  You set some ambitious goal, beat it, and then think, wow, I can do much better than that.  Before you know it, you'll be chasing sub3!  For about 10 years I liked to half-ass marathons and thought if I could only run a decent one, something in the 3:40's, I'd give up running marathons.  That never really happened.

Watson - Yup, that weather looks to be good.  Any interest in giving us a little recap of your training?  How it compared to your last marathon?  I know the build up to the cycle wasn't going as well as you wanted with all of your other regular life distractions, but it appears that the cycle came together well--no?

Upcoming races: Boston

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Kram - Just wanted to give you a shoutout because you convinced me to use Daniels for my training this period. I obviously have no idea if it'll be successful, but these workouts are absolutely brutal but I feel so good when I get them done. I completed a 6E + 4x2T last night and for the first time in my cycle, I feel like I'm ready to actually run a marathon. In the beginning of the cycle, I had to bail on some of these runs because they were so hard, but now I'm so used to the pain that comes with these that mentally I find myself much better prepared to deal with it.

Andres - I told myself I would only run one marathon in my life. As soon as I crossed the finish line, although I was in serious pain, my first thought was "I'm definitely doing another one of these." Runners - we're sick people.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I think the general feeling around here has always been if you're talking about stuff/knowledge/experience that other runners will find of interest please put it out in the general forums (racing, gear, general, running 101, etc) so that everyone can read it and learn from it like marathon training advice, pacing, how to race a fast 5k etc. A race preparation thread is great, I think it was just a little jarring to see a wholly formed group arrive already intact. Not too mention that I'm still in a pissy mood from missing getting into Boston by 12 seconds. Is the 3:30-3:35 race prep thread coming????

Feel free to start other general interest posts/question threads as well. And if you keep your log here, it's nice to see how others train if you keep your log public rather than private.

MTA: basically what JMac11 said.

I’ve been using the RA log for years (over 18k miles logged!). I stopped using it this year for some unknown reason, but I always write my training down in a notebook old skool style and file it away!  Anyway, I just input my last 10 weeks training.    Good luck at Chicago!

Welcome FSBD, DesiRunner, Dtothe2nd!

IAM - Great bio and I think “ExplodingSausage” would be a pretty funny screename! You’ve got it sussed over the last couple of years and just need a decent break with the weather!

Swim - Great to see you over here!  I’ll do the tracking for Richmond! 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

kramrunner

Kram - Just wanted to give you a shoutout because you convinced me to use Daniels for my training this period. I obviously have no idea if it'll be successful, but these workouts are absolutely brutal but I feel so good when I get them done. I completed a 6E + 4x2T last night and for the first time in my cycle, I feel like I'm ready to actually run a marathon. In the beginning of the cycle, I had to bail on some of these runs because they were so hard, but now I'm so used to the pain that comes with these that mentally I find myself much better prepared to deal with it.

Andres - I told myself I would only run one marathon in my life. As soon as I crossed the finish line, although I was in serious pain, my first thought was "I'm definitely doing another one of these." Runners - we're sick people.

Yup, I was a little unconvinced/worried about the lack of strict marathon pace work, but there is nothing like those T pace runs for hammering you into shape. I think it's the learning to run at a pain level that is the real trick. Defo, gonna do another one for the spring cycle. Great stuff from you so far. Really looking fwd. to seeing how you go.

I was exactly the same after death marching to 3:52... never, ever doing that again with a half life of about 30mins